NYS releases Bills stadium study

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

You do realize that NYC / Albany/ that area do the propping up of the entire state economically right, and that western NY would be among poorest states in the country without NYC and it’s surrounding area right??

WNY would be far better off if the NYPA didn't siphon off the cheap electricity for "economic development" projects across the state.  NYC also can't function without the power, landfills and clean water that upstate supplies.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I attended on occasion, I am retired and travel a lot so not living in the area, although I have family in Rochester, 

Oh, and it’s not about “get if my lawn” it’s about not ball washing billionaires, through one’s actions. 

I’m not going to try to talk you down from your rant. It appears to be your happy place. So vote with your feet! If asked to pay into the stadium…move! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I really dont give a crap about tailgating. There will still be tailgating options, and I'd bet you would see a number of private lots open up as well.

But I'm here for football. I go to the games to watch the Bills. We have a raucous time inside while the game is going on.

The tailgate stuff only blew up when the team was horrible during the drought to make the gamedays at least somewhat fun. We dont suck anymore.

If I wanted to re-live my college days, I'd go back on alumni weekend.

edit to add: We've had GREAT times in Nashville, pre-game, in their bar district. It would be similar. Way less hassle of setting up and breaking down and cleaning up. Show up, party, and let someone else deal with the bs while you get to walk into the game.

Hi Dr.:  I respect your feelings on tailgating, but believe you are in the minority.  My season tickets go back to 1973 when the stadium first opened. There was massive tailgating almost from the very beginning and it continued to grow.  Many RV owners begin there "paring lot ritual" on Saturday for Sunday games and stay through  Monday.  The RV group has become quite a close knit community.

The Bills have been relevant since the McDermott/Beane era.  I don't believe tailgating has diminished since we no longer suck.  If anything, it has grown since our tailgating rituals have received more national coverage.

Since you don't care for tailgating, you certainly don't have to participate.  But why take this opportunity away from the thousands of Bills fans that enjoy to extend their game day enjoyment of barbequing, having some adult beverages, and communing with other Bills fans before and after games?

The Raider's lost their tailgating options with  their new stadium being located on a postage stamp lot near the Las Vegas strip.  Let's hope this does not happen the the greatest fan base in the NFL.

Go Orchard Park Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Hi Dr.:  I respect your feelings on tailgating, but believe you are in the minority.  My season tickets go back to 1973 when the stadium first opened. There was massive tailgating almost from the very beginning and it continued to grow.  Many RV owners begin there "paring lot ritual" on Saturday for Sunday games and stay through  Monday.  The RV group has become quite a close knit community.

The Bills have been relevant since the McDermott/Beane era.  I don't believe tailgating has diminished since we no longer suck.  If anything, it has grown since our tailgating rituals have received more national coverage.

Since you don't care for tailgating, you certainly don't have to participate.  But why take this opportunity away from the thousands of Bills fans that enjoy to extend their game day enjoyment of barbequing, having some adult beverages, and communing with other Bills fans before and after games?

The Raider's lost their tailgating options with  their new stadium being located on a postage stamp lot near the Las Vegas strip.  Let's hope this does not happen the the greatest fan base in the NFL.

Go Orchard Park Bills!!!

First off, thanks for the thought out response.

Don't get me wrong. I tailgate. Have been since I started going to games with my dad in 1987 (had to tailgate that strike year because, again, it was the only thing that made going worth it, haha). And just had a pretty decent party when I was up for the Washington game in September. I fully understand and appreciate the tradition and what it provides to the gameday experience.

And you will absolutely be able to do that at a new downtown stadium. Especially the RVs. That is good money for the Bills, and they arent going to lose it.

I havent been to a single downtown stadium that didn't still have some (plenty) of tailgating available. Even Nashville which I referenced for its proximity to bars, has a ton of parking for tailgating. Jacksonville is downtown and on the water, and still has a ton of tailgating (Lot X 4EVA!). Pittsburgh, plenty of tailgating. There might be one or two out there, but few and far between.

The Pegulas/Bills understand what a huge part of the brand's identity is centered around tailgating. They will do what they can to get rid of the table jumping and butt-chugging, but they will absolutely have parking lots to tailgate in. There is too much merch to sell, and money to make by charging to park in their special tailgate lots.

The beauty of the downtown stadium is the potential to provide BOTH tailgating and an indoor/bar experience option. Not just one.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

First off, thanks for the thought out response.

Don't get me wrong. I tailgate. Have been since I started going to games with my dad in 1987 (had to tailgate that strike year because, again, it was the only thing that made going worth it, haha). And just had a pretty decent party when I was up for the Washington game in September. I fully understand and appreciate the tradition and what it provides to the gameday experience.

And you will absolutely be able to do that at a new downtown stadium. Especially the RVs. That is good money for the Bills, and they arent going to lose it.

I havent been to a single downtown stadium that didn't still have some (plenty) of tailgating available. Even Nashville which I referenced for it's proximity to bars, has a ton of parking for tailgating. Jacksonville is downtown and on the water, and still has a ton of tailgating (Lot X 4EVA!). Pittsburgh, plenty of tailgating. There might be one or two out there, but few and far between.

The Pegulas/Bills understand what a huge part of the brand's identity is centered around tailgating. They will do what they can to get rid of the table jumping and butt-chugging, but they will absolutely have parking lots to tailgate in. There is too much merch to sell, and money to make by charging to park in their special tailgate lots.

The beauty of the downtown stadium is the potential to provide BOTH tailgating and an indoor/bar experience option. Not just one.

If there is sufficient parking for all that want to tailgate, that would be okay.  I still have a personal preference for OP.  Nostalgia is tough to deal with.  Many memories of good times with family members at the stadium that are no longer with us.

We will see what happens.

37 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

If there is sufficient parking for all that want to tailgate, that would be okay.  I still have a personal preference for OP.  Nostalgia is tough to deal with.  Many memories of good times with family members at the stadium that are no longer with us.

We will see what happens.

Right on.

My dad and grandfather had a lot of memories from the Rock Pile. They moved on pretty easily. It'll all be fine. Gotta keep moving forward.

Go Bills!

4 hours ago, billykay said:

No one ever talks about it but what are the pros & cons of building a stadium for the Bulls & Bills on or near the Amherst campus ?

As someone else said, there was a long thread on this a few weeks ago. I actually think it's a great idea. Mostly because it would provide the State of New York a convenient excuse to kick in some major money towards the project.  But it's much more than that. UB Amherst has the land and road infrastructure already in place. The Bulls would play at OP for the two years of construction. Nobody would care. Then both teams would move into the new facility when complete.  There would no disruption to the Bills team or fans during construction. Amherst also has the parking lots, and room for more, so the tailgating tradition could continue. It's also much less impacted by lake-effect wind and snow if the stadium ended up being an outdoor venue (but with the State chipping in, it would seem that a dome would allow for way more university related events throughout the year and therefore a much better investment).  And lastly the Pegulas can probably write off their contribution as a donation to the public University.

3 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

WNY would be far better off if the NYPA didn't siphon off the cheap electricity for "economic development" projects across the state.  NYC also can't function without the power, landfills and clean water that upstate supplies.  

Those things don’t make anywhere near as much money as the down state economy does, that and the electric grid isn’t owned by western NY, we western New Yorkers aren’t separate from the rest of the state, and we would be a very poor state on our own, think Mississippi poor, ya gotta know where you bread is buttered, or as the classic Clint Eastwood line goes, a man has got to know his limitations…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

13 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Those things don’t make anywhere near as much money as the down state economy does, that and the electric grid isn’t owned by western NY, we western New Yorkers aren’t separate from the rest of the state, and we would be a very poor state on our own, think Mississippi poor, ya gotta know where you bread is buttered, or as the classic Clint Eastwood line goes, a man has got to know his limitations…, 

True, but you probably don't want to live in a country where all the money stays exactly where it's made. That system breaks down really fast. Where does it stop? At the County level? The City level? The neighborhood level? The street? The house?

Upstate gets more $ from NYS per capita than NYC, LI. That is a fact. However, if we were two states, upstate would not have laws, regs, tax, more at this level. Things like Scaffold Law (gravity liability) would never pass in “Upper New York State”. Upstate laws would look more like NH Live Free or Die….

that said, time for NYS to build a stadium even remotely like Yankees!!

On 11/2/2021 at 8:05 PM, Since1981 said:

Remember when we used to say “weather was a competitive advantage”? Aka ground and pound days? That’s not the 2021 NFL except for King Henry—-ONE GUY!

offenses, QB, receivers, special teams…no FA wants to play in the constant winds over Lake Erie. 

it is a competitive disadvantage to have excessive winds for recruitment and fan attendance late season.  Crazy to build without an “enclosure” from wind. 

John Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Cole Beasley were all FA’s.  They all did and do well playing in OP.  🤷🏾‍♂️

10 hours ago, nucci said:

he didn't say they would quit or not play.

Then it’s an irrelevant argument in support of a roof.  They’ll come to work where the money is, just like any other person.  

Edited by purple haze

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Yeah take away the richest city in the world lol.. of course the burden of the money in the state comes from the city 

And buffalo is Mississippi poor.. it has some of the highest poverty rates in the country and has for 20+ years

Edited by Buffalo716

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

🤷🏾‍♂️

Then it’s an irrelevant argument in support of a roof.  They’ll come to work where the money is, just like any other person.  

some players may have a preference, that's all. Brady loves playing in the warm weather in Florida

On 11/4/2021 at 2:26 AM, nucci said:

some players may have a preference, that's all. Brady loves playing in the warm weather in Florida

I get that.  But Brady only went there because Belichick pushed him out the door.  Tre White, I know, likes that southern weather, but he re-signed.  Taron Johnson is from Northern California.  He re-signed.  Milano is from Florida.  Re-signed.  

For most, enjoying where they play (having success) and getting paid will trump weather concerns.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.