NYS releases Bills stadium study

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Right, they just have Raccuia spitting fire for them. Good cop, bad cop.

That’s pretty much what Raccuia is doing and all he’s good for. If Pegula was going to move the Bills then he wouldn’t have bothered working with NYS and Erie County on building a new stadium here. Most likely this is going to end up in OP. Downtown would cost too much and that’s not including infrastructure. 

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I've noticed that a large proportion of downtown advocates are out-of-towners.

They want to come to Buffalo, stay in a hotel, eat at a heated restaurant, and walk a block to the game.

I can confirm this. This is me.

Give me a lite rail from the airport right to downtown, and I'm in heaven.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

Sorry, I’ll have to rephrase this. I’d say he’s not being greedy, he’s just not being stupid. I can’t hate on that. That’s just the way the game is played now, and I have no hard feelings for him looking for any and all additional funding from local, state, NFL or federal sources. Like everybody else. 

In fact, I would think less of the Pegulas and the Bills if they didn’t look into all possible sources of funding. That is one reason I wish they could find a way to integrate with UB’s plans. I don’t know where that would be, or what that would look like, but it just makes so much sense! I’m not a local guy anymore, but why build TWO? I know and understand UB wanting an on-campus stadium, I really do, but maybe a top tier stadium helps recruiting. Try to get more state (and maybe federal?)  money by doing the smart thing. 

No one ever talks about it but what are the pros & cons of building a stadium for the Bulls & Bills on or near the Amherst campus ?

12 minutes ago, billykay said:

No one ever talks about it but what are the pros & cons of building a stadium for the Bulls & Bills on or near the Amherst campus ?

As I noted, I don’t know enough to have an opinion so I’ll leave it to those with better local knowledge. It just seems a shame to build TWO stadiums. I believe USF still plays at the Buc’s Raymond James Stadium. I don’t know how well that works for everybody, but it sure saves a boatload of money! 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We (Buffalo) kinda do.

It makes little sense that there is even an NFL team in Buffalo, given the size of the market. If the league were starting today we would most definitely not have a team. And wouldnt even be in the Plan B list.

Partially paying for a new stadium is the price of having a team in a location that cant be justified in any other way. And keep in mind, this cost gets spread out over the whole state, Albany and NYC, not just WNY.

Let NYC chip in to let us have our nice thing.

Sure is nice to have a team in Buffalo, but by no means do we owe anything to the NFL/ owners / The Pegulas, that’s just absurd. Nuthin but luv, 

19 minutes ago, billykay said:

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

As I noted, I don’t know enough to have an opinion so I’ll leave it to those with better local knowledge. It just seems a shame to build TWO stadiums. I believe USF still plays at the Buc’s Raymond James Stadium. I don’t know how well that works for everybody, but it sure saves a boatload of money! 

I'd combine them, but have the Bulls play at the new downtown stadium.

Doing so also brings the net cost of the new Bills stadium down, since the State is going to have to pay for a new UB stadium anyways. If they were going to spend $100M(?) on a new UB stadium, well that is $100M you could theoretically "credit" off the price of the new Bills stadium.

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Sure is nice to have a team in Buffalo, but by no means do we owe anything to the NFL/ owners / The Pegulas, that’s just absurd. Nuthin but luv, 

Ehh, I dont fully disagree with the overall thought, but again, there is a price to be paid for having/keeping something that we otherwise wouldnt get.

From an NFL perspective, the region can not support a team like most other markets.

From a local fan perspective, wtf would we do if we let the team go? What would we even have left in Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd combine them, but have the Bulls play at the new downtown stadium.

Doing so also brings the net cost of the new Bills stadium down, since the State is going to have to pay for a new UB stadium anyways. If they were going to spend $100M(?) on a new UB stadium, well that is $100M you could theoretically "credit" off the price of the new Bills stadium.

Ehh, I dont fully disagree with the overall thought, but again, there is a price to be paid for having/keeping something that we otherwise wouldnt get.

From an NFL perspective, the region can not support a team like most other markets.

From a local fan perspective, wtf would we do if we let the team go? What would we even have left in Buffalo?

That’s a bit of a defeatist perspective, lots of places don’t have football teams, and ya know, they live great lives without the NFL being in their towns and cities. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Nor do we owe him a stadium what don’t folk understand about this? If he wants a new stadium he can write the check for it, your logic is broken, Mr Pegula does indeed want a new stadium, and he can pay for it one hundred percent, it’s not on the taxpayers to build/finance him a new stadium on any level, What don’t folk understand about this massive financial scam that the NFL/owners have foisted on the taxpayers backs???? How is it that otherwise intelligent people fall for this scam???

On that we agree. The fans don’t owe him a stadium. But…Pegula also doesn’t owe anyone keeping his business in WNY. It’s not complicated. It’s a balance. 

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That’s a bit of a defeatist perspective, lots of places don’t have football teams, and ya know, they live great lives without the NFL being in their towns and cities. 

Maybe, but a lot of that has to do with never having a team or basing your entire identity on said team in the first place. Ripping the Bills out of Buffalo would leave a crater that could never be filled.

Not saying it's healthy to be this way, but it's where we are at.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

On that we agree. The fans don’t owe him a stadium. But…Pegula also doesn’t owe anyone keeping his business in WNY. It’s not complicated. It’s a balance. 

It depends on if one wants to submit to extortion or not, me I’’d just tell him to pack his bags and hit the road, and go buy tickets to the UB games, really quite simple. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe, but a lot of that has to do with never having a team or basing your entire identity on said team in the first place. Ripping the Bills out of Buffalo would leave a crater that could never be filled.

Not saying it's healthy to be this way, but it's where we are at.

Only for half a generation and then it would be like they never existed. 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

It depends on if one wants to submit to extortion or not, me I’’d just tell him to pack his bags and hit the road, and go buy tickets to the UB games, really quite simple. 

You certainly have that right. Knock yourself out! You do realize there are all sorts of public improvements that your tax dollars fund that you’ll never personally take advantage of, right?

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

You know you're paying for SoFi stadium and you dont even LIKE those teams, right?

It's about time NYC and Albany chip in to help Buffalo have nice things.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

You certainly have that right. Knock yourself out! You do realize there are all sorts of public improvements that your tax dollars fund that you’ll never personally take advantage of, right?

Yup, sure do, corporate welfare is a bad thing to get strung out on / addicted to, it’s a scam they do not need taxpayers dollars in any way shape or form to be a profitable business, don’t fall prey to the propaganda. 

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, sure do, corporate welfare is a bad thing to get strung out on / addicted to, it’s a scam they do not need taxpayers dollars in any way shape or form to be a profitable business, don’t fall prey to the propaganda. 

Wouldn’t it be easier to post “Get off my lawn!” Again, keep up the fight if it makes you feel better. I’m assuming you don’t attend Bills games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You know you're paying for SoFi stadium and you dont even LIKE those teams, right?

It's about time NYC and Albany chip in to help Buffalo have nice things.

You do realize that NYC / Albany/ that area do the propping up of the entire state economically right, and that western NY would be among poorest states in the country without NYC and it’s surrounding area right??

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

You do realize that NYC / Albany/ that area do the propping up of the entire state economically right, and that western NY would be among poorest states in the country without NYC and it’s surrounding area right??

Absolutely, which is why I want their money for the WNY region. NYC is good for $2B by breakfast. Git r dun.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to post “Get off my lawn!” Again, keep up the fight if it makes you feel better. I’m assuming you don’t attend Bills games.

I attended on occasion, I am retired and travel a lot so not living in the area, although I have family in Rochester, 

Oh, and it’s not about “get if my lawn” it’s about not ball washing billionaires, through one’s actions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.