NYS releases Bills stadium study

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The current facility is not going to fall down, tomorrow, or even in the next ten years.

Thanks Bart.  I get the tragic  comedy of the premise, but not really what I was questioning.  Guess I did not phrase it quite right, but was curious if construction would impact the usability of the current stadium.  Sounds like that is thankfully not a concern. 

Edited by cwater10

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why is is 750 mil more to build downtown?  Destruction of area?

Been repeatedly saying it here multiple times.... it was cheaper and IS going to be in OP because of the added infrastructure and land acquisition costs for downtown. Anyone willing to approach this from a rational (i.e., not a fan's) perspective, understands the costs here. The city's sewer and water infrastructure sucks and needs a major upgrade to carry the capacity of a new stadium. Plus parking and other amenities. In OP, the county own's the land so land costs are effectivelty zero. Downtown they need to buy, or take via eminent domain, lots of property currently in private hands, or in govt/quasi-govt hands. Plus the added time and costs of any eminent domain process when the inevitable hold outs happen. In OP you simply extend the existing sewer and water systems to the new site, no offsite improvements needed, a la downtown.

And because the Pegulas, I think, plan to ask for money but also not be greedy, OP has always been the place it will go. Unless the state and city, both bad at development and fiscal management, decide to waste money to build it downtown. 

• Like (+1) 2

How come there is no option for putting money into the structural integrity of what’s already there and adding coverage to that? The top of the stadium looks like it’s only 30 feet above the ground. It has to be the easiest stadium imaginable to build some sort of roof over. The entire thing is almost underground to begin with. That would probably be 1/4 cost and get almost everything we want.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Why is is 750 mil more to build downtown?  Destruction of area?

No, destruction of downtown started in late 1960s was completed by mid 1970s.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I think this confirms that OP will be the main area. Downtown sounds cool but I’m glad they’re sticking with tailgating 

Josh Allen confirmed himself that our his new stadium won’t have a roof

Fixed it for you

• Haha (+1) 1

So we are all in agreement then.

On second thought I think they should build both. Open air in Orchard Park and dome downtown. The weather would dictate where they play. So two games in Orchard Park the rest downtown.

Edited by chris heff
  • Haha (+1) 1

LUMEN Field, where the Seahwaks play, and a stadium the Bills are rumored ti want to mimic cost $430M to build in 1999. Adjusted for inflation to the year 2020 that cost is $619M.  

For a new Bills stadium, located in OP, to cost $1.35B, more than double a stadium built in downtown metropolitan Seattle (where real estate costs waaayyyy more than Orchard Park) is truly remarkable. And this figure is inflation adjusted.

NFL owners have done a tremendous job convincing state governments that their teams need these $1.5B palaces in order to play. And why wouldn't they when nearly 50% of the funds are handouts.  Why the Bills would need a stadium that cost double Seattle's stadium is beyond comprehension.  The companies that build these palaces must shake their head in disbelief @ what they're able to charge.

I've never understood how the costs on these stadium builds have doubled and even tripled (inflation adjusted) over the least 15-20 years. It's comical.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

This is where I'm at too. It's a ton of money either way and the difference in cost between OP and downtown is mostly for infrastructure updates that the city could really benefit from anyways. Taxpayer dollars are probably going to make up the majority of the funds needed and I think a downtown stadium is the best bang for the city's buck. 

Ditto

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Estro said:

LUMEN Field, where the Seahwaks play, and a stadium the Bills are rumored ti want to mimic cost $430M to build in 1999. Adjusted for inflation to the year 2020 that cost is $619M.  

For a new Bills stadium, located in OP, to cost $1.35B, more than double a stadium built in downtown metropolitan Seattle (where real estate costs waaayyyy more than Orchard Park) is truly remarkable. And this figure is inflation adjusted.

NFL owners have done a tremendous job convincing state governments that their teams need these $1.5B palaces in order to play. And why wouldn't they when nearly 50% of the funds are handouts.  Why the Bills would need a stadium that cost double Seattle's stadium is beyond comprehension.  The companies that build these palaces must shake their head in disbelief @ what they're able to charge.

I've never understood how the costs on these stadium builds have doubled and even tripled (inflation adjusted) over the least 15-20 years. It's comical.

I agree totally.

I know the 'inflation calculator' might not be a direct correlation to the cost of building a stadium, but really, these are getting out of hand.  You know the rabit hole I start going down when thinking about all this is....to play the game the team needs a grass (or artificial turf field) of about 1.5 acres. That is what they play on. Practice facilities, workout areas, offices...they are usually all separate from the stadium.  The Stadium is for the game.  For the 95%+ of those who watch football over television, the $Billion dollar stadium isn't needed, just the 1.5 Acres.  Now I know that isn't how things work, but do we really need to spend $1.5 Billion dollars for that concrete and steel structure around the field that services the 60k-90k people that show up?  There really isn't a way anymore to do it for CONSIDERABLY less?

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

How come there is no option for putting money into the structural integrity of what’s already there and adding coverage to that? The top of the stadium looks like it’s only 30 feet above the ground. It has to be the easiest stadium imaginable to build some sort of roof over. The entire thing is almost underground to begin with. That would probably be 1/4 cost and get almost everything we want.

Please read the study or at least the AP article.  It answers your question.

4 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Semi-covered is enough. The guys will just need to pick em up and put em down in the snow. This is Buffalo, play in the weather

I feel like if your spending 1.3 billion + on a new stadium it would be very dumb to limit it's use as a venue for other events because muh football needs to be played in cold weather. Make it a roof with flexibility for it to be a multi-use facility

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, zonabb said:

Been repeatedly saying it here multiple times.... it was cheaper and IS going to be in OP because of the added infrastructure and land acquisition costs for downtown. Anyone willing to approach this from a rational (i.e., not a fan's) perspective, understands the costs here. The city's sewer and water infrastructure sucks and needs a major upgrade to carry the capacity of a new stadium. Plus parking and other amenities. In OP, the county own's the land so land costs are effectivelty zero. Downtown they need to buy, or take via eminent domain, lots of property currently in private hands, or in govt/quasi-govt hands. Plus the added time and costs of any eminent domain process when the inevitable hold outs happen. In OP you simply extend the existing sewer and water systems to the new site, no offsite improvements needed, a la downtown.

And because the Pegulas, I think, plan to ask for money but also not be greedy, OP has always been the place it will go. Unless the state and city, both bad at development and fiscal management, decide to waste money to build it downtown. 

Did you just say that a multi billionaire would could write a check for the new stadium and still be a multi billionaire isn’t greedy when he puts his hand out for money that comes out of wage earners paychecks?? 

Let’s be clear here, the Pegulas in no way need public monies on any level to build a stadium. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.