Philip Rivers would be open to join the Saints

Draconator

I love how you guys are ripping Rivers. He only threw for over 300 yards, 2 TD’s, and had a 95 QB rating against us, and we won that game by 3 points last year, and very easily could have and should have lost it.  

He also threw for over 4000 yards, 68% completion percentage, and had almost a 8 YPA in 2020– pretty comparable to Josh Allen. 

He would easily be an upgrade over Winston in NO, and is probably better than at least 20 starters in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I love how you guys are ripping Rivers. He only threw for over 300 yards, 2 TD’s, and had a 95 QB rating against us, and we won that game by 3 points last year, and very easily could have and should have lost it.  

He also threw for over 4000 yards, 68% completion percentage, and had almost a 8 YPA in 2020– pretty comparable to Josh Allen. 

He would easily be an upgrade over Winston in NO, and is probably better than at least 20 starters in the league. 

And why should the Bills have lost it?

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, MJS said:

And why should the Bills have lost it?

well, for one, the Colts outgained the bills in every statistical category. And if I recall, The bills defense couldn’t stop rivers and the Colts in the second half, until the very end. That was overall one of the toughest matchups for the Bills. They won and played a great game against a tough opponent, but it wasn’t a win because Philip rivers choked or is a washed up QB, as some here might suggest. 

34 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Exactly. Rivers putting up big numbers, but not finishing the job has always been his Achilles heal. It seemed like a typical win for a team who’s able to beat a Rivers led team. 

Rivers is in the top 15 of QB’s all time in terms of game winning drives. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

well, for one, the Colts outgained the bills in every statistical category. And if I recall, The bills defense couldn’t stop rivers and the Colts in the second half, until the very end. That was overall one of the toughest matchups for the Bills. They won and played a great game against a tough opponent, but it wasn’t a win because Philip rivers choked or is a washed up QB, as some here might suggest. 

In my opinion, the Bills definately earned that win. They played hard and made more plays than their opponent. But kudos to the Colts for playing hard and giving it their all.

As for the game stats, they were decently close, but yes, the Colts did have about 80 more yards of offense. But they scored fewer points, so they lost. And Allen did outperform Rivers in that game, throwing for more yards, more TD's, and he had a significantly higher passer rating.

I have no skin in the game concerning Phillip Rivers. He was a good QB, but he is old now. I thought he played pretty well against the Bills in the playoffs, but did not pull out a win for his team.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

In my opinion, the Bills definately earned that win. They played hard and made more plays than their opponent. But kudos to the Colts for playing hard and giving it their all.

As for the game stats, they were decently close, but yes, the Colts did have about 80 more yards of offense. But they scored fewer points, so they lost. And Allen did outperform Rivers in that game, throwing for more yards, more TD's, and he had a significantly higher passer rating.

I have no skin in the game concerning Phillip Rivers. He was a good QB, but he is old now. I thought he played pretty well against the Bills in the playoffs, but did not pull out a win for his team.

Don’t get me wrong— we beat those guys fair and square. But the Colts were probably the toughest opponent we played from a matchup perspective (even tougher than the chiefs, who I thought we lost to mostly because of bad coaching).  They got the momentum late, and I thought we were doomed there at the end— but the D held when it mattered. 

i am not some huge Rivers fanboy, but he had a great year last year, and I see no evidence that he is washed up or has a “noodle arm” or choked in that game— which others have claimed in this thread. It’s like people remember just the final Score of the Bills/Colts game and infer Rivers is washed up. It’s odd to me. 

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I bet he is top 15 of QB's all times in terms of choking in the playoffs too.  Game winning drive attempt against Buffalo.  First and 10 from Buffalo 46... -1 yard pass, pass incomplete, pass incomplete, pass incomplete.  Game over.  Thats kind of choking if you cant complete a pass in 4 downs.  The previous drive he wasn't much better.  They happened to break off a 33 yard run that he had nothing to do with.

Rivers was a great QB.  He can probably still play, but ... he was the biggest playoff choker I have ever seen at QB.

On a serious note, isn't this kind of a kick in the teeth to Reich/Indy?  If he wanted to keep playing why retire from there?

Edited by Scott7975

47 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I bet he is top 15 of QB's all times in terms of choking in the playoffs too.  Game winning drive attempt against Buffalo.  First and 10 from Buffalo 46... -1 yard pass, pass incomplete, pass incomplete, pass incomplete.  Game over.  Thats kind of choking if you cant complete a pass in 4 downs.  The previous drive he wasn't much better.  They happened to break off a 33 yard run that he had nothing to do with.

Rivers was a great QB.  He can probably still play, but ... he was the biggest playoff choker I have ever seen at QB.

On a serious note, isn't this kind of a kick in the teeth to Reich/Indy?  If he wanted to keep playing why retire from there?

He never had a great playoff record. 5-7. But what is funny is Peyton Manning didn’t either. He was about .500. Same with Aaron Rodgers. Those guys actually choked just as much— but it is overlooked because of a super bowl run. 

8 hours ago, uninja said:

Come to think of it, I've never actually seen a Philip Rivers led team actually nail one of those come from behind drives. He always got them close, but it was always desperation heaves that resulted in a sloppy int or turnover on downs.

Rivers raised those teams up. Rivers-led teams got farther than they should have based on their rosters.

4 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yup.

The question would be age, not talent.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Rivers raised those teams up. Rivers-led teams got farther than they should have based on their rosters.

Yup.

The question would be age, not talent.

You're joking right?  The Chargers had some pretty stellar players around Rivers.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

No, it's not kind of choking if you can't complete a pass in 4 downs. That's a blanket statement, and as with most blanket statements, it's not correct. Depends on why the passes were incomplete.

In this case, from the 44, Rivers completed a six yard pass to the 38 yard-line to start off, but McDermott had called time-out just before the play (though the officials later announced that the replay official had stopped play before McDermott did, returning Buffalo its time out), nullifying the play. If play hadn't been stopped, they'd have had second and four at the thirty-eight, and if they'd had two more incompletions, a 55 yard field goal shot on fourth down, for a chance at the win. But play had been stopped to give the refs a second chance to look at the play before which had been a fumble torn out by Milano and recovered by Buffalo but the refs had called Pascal, the receiver down before the fumble. After a long, long pause with the announcers and Steratore saying after many replays that it was a fumble, it was upheld as the play being over before the fumble.

The ball was moved to the 46 after the delay. Rivers then completed the first down pass but it had been covered well and the receiver had to immediately get out of bounds for a yard loss. So you said, "if you can't complete a pass in 4 downs," but he did. Actually, he completed two. The one on first down and then another one. On second down they rushed to the line and he completed an eleven-yarder for a first down. But whoops, again time had been called by McDermott with the time-out they'd gotten back. Would've been a first down on the 36 yard-line, but McDermott stopped them as they tried to run a really quick play after the one-yard completion.

On the second play on second down, Rivers had to throw it away, way out of bounds. Everyone was covered and he wasn't pressured but he realized he had to end the play quick. It was now third down with 0:08 remaining. That was good defense, and the fact that they had no time-outs, so he couldn't complete one that would end up being tackled in-bounds.

On third down one of his receivers made a mistake, as there were two recievers very close to each other on the sideline, one at the 39 and the other at the 32, with Taron Johnson between them, effectively covering both. Rivers threw it really quickly putting it a bit long, where it was either going to be a sensational catch by the guy further downfield or it would go over him and out of bounds. It went over him. Fourth down and eleven with 0:04 seconds left. The only chance now a Hail Mary to the end zone. Not real good odds either way.

The Bills still remembered the Hail Murray and they defended the Hail Mary.

That was NOT a choke by Rivers, by any stretch. It was good defense and great time out calls by McDermott, helped out by a mistake by one of the Colt receivers on the third down. But Johnson had good coverage on the play anyway, and there were three Bills defenders within about 5 steps of the play. Should probably have been a Bills fumble recovery four plays earlier, to be honest.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

You're joking right?  The Chargers had some pretty stellar players around Rivers.

I am not joking by any means. 

They had a really good roster for about two years early in his career there when they had Merriman in his first three years and Tomlinson there playing at a high level. After that, they were mostly an OK roster with a terrific QB.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I am not joking by any means. 

They had a really good roster for about two years early in his career there when they had Merriman in his first three years and Tomlinson there playing at a high level. After that, they were mostly an OK roster with a terrific QB.

Antonia Gates, Keenen Allen, Ladanian Tomlinson, Malcolm Floyd, Vincent Jackson, Melvin Gordon, Darron Sproles, Russel Okung, Mike Pouncy, Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram.  Just some of the OK players he played with.

The Chargers had plenty of good rosters around Rivers.  They had windows and choked.  Not always on him but to act as if their rosters weren't good is ridiculous.  He had pro bowlers on offense and defense.  Hes had top 10 defenses while having stars on offense with really good rbs and receivers and Gates as a TE.  That team was stacked at points in his career.

If the Saints were my team at this point I'd welcome the rebuild. Brees nor Rivers are more than a very short term stop gap. They played the heck outta - kick the can down the road, and have done it well. Time to bottom out, live a year in dead cap hell, and hopefully get some nice picks to re stock the cupboard.

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If the Saints were my team at this point I'd welcome the rebuild. Brees nor Rivers are more than a very short term stop gap. They played the heck outta - kick the can down the road, and have done it well. Time to bottom out, live a year in dead cap hell, and hopefully get some nice picks to re stock the cupboard.

The Saints have the same record as the Bills right now. Like every other team that ever played they’re not throwing the towel at 5-2. Not yet anyway.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.