[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

A couple points i havent seen mentioned wrt the criminal defense attorneys:

1)  Most of the rules that protect us have come from HARD fought cases.  for example, Miranda rights, Warrantless searches, etc.  Public defenders are often too busy to run some exotic motion that, though they have heard about it, just dont have time to even begin the research.  Rich people with expensive attorneys do have an advantage, but its an advantage in maximum Fairness of the system.  Their rising tide could be said to lift more boats

2)  Ruggs probably had Insurance policies in excess of minimum state limits and most insurers deny coverage for DUI.   So with zero insurance (unless he has life policies or some such), His family has millions at stake.  No matter what happens in criminal court, the following monday morning the civil Wrongful Death suit will be filed.  Civil plaintiffs always lets criminal go first, because of the higher standard of proof.  It makes suing the defendant easier if he was already convicted beyond a reasonable doubt [i'm heavily simplifying here, but this is the gist]

Enter the insurers or, more likely, the regular civil defense attorneys.  The more success Ruggs has in crim court, the better their negotiating leverage in Civil.  I'm sure this is a tiny factor but i hadnt seen it mentioned.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/13/2022 at 3:50 AM, TheWeatherMan said:

His lawyers job is to ensure this dingus receives a fair trial.  If LE or the DA screw things up that’s on them, not on the lawyer or the accused.  People so quick to assume all lawyers are scum when really it’s the nature of their job when representing people charged with heinous crimes.  

Making it into the "nature of their jobs", does not make theirs lies, half truths and street gutter character any less repugnant.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Angry 1

'This Whole Thing Has F---ed Me Up’
When the Raiders’ Henry Ruggs III drove 127 mph into a stranger’s car, a man living in a nearby garage rushed into the fiery chaos. Tony Rodriguez did not, ultimately, save Tina Tintor—and that haunts him to this day.
JEFF PEARLMANMAR 29, 2022

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/29/henry-ruggs-iii-tony-rodriguez-crash-daily-cover

What a sad story , Ruggs needs to pay a heavy price for what he did.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If that's what you took from it, sure 👌

Guess its difficult to understand degrees in this country. Not everything is a 1 or 10. 

Its hard to imagine that more deaths equals a degree or two worse?

Honestly, when acting as recklessly as he did - looking at the pure luck of the final outcomes vs the intentionality of his decisions… the latter is waaaaayy more important to me

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Making it into the "nature of their jobs", does not make theirs lies, half truths and street gutter character any less repugnant.

If this is how you feel, your only option is to wait for election season and vote for candidates that want to remove the 6th amendment.  Otherwise you’re up a creek with no paddle.

14 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Not really something you can throw a trivial number on. The dudes not a predator... i dont believe hes an imminent threat to the public in the way that Manson is,there's levels and degrees to everything.

What happened I personally don't believe jail for life solves much.

Now someone starts a reckless but accidental fire in an apt building and 9 people die? Getting closer. It's really a case by case kinda thing, and that's why judges decide on sentencing, and there isn't just a one size fits all flat sentence for every crime 🤷‍♂️ still sucks all around

!.  his act was not "an accident"--he was very drunk and traveling at a speed he had to know placed himself and others in danger.  your "accidentl fire" analogy doesn't apply here.

2. unless he has 3 other DUIs, he's not facing life in prison in Nevada. looks like 2-20.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

'This Whole Thing Has F---ed Me Up’
When the Raiders’ Henry Ruggs III drove 127 mph into a stranger’s car, a man living in a nearby garage rushed into the fiery chaos. Tony Rodriguez did not, ultimately, save Tina Tintor—and that haunts him to this day.
JEFF PEARLMANMAR 29, 2022

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/29/henry-ruggs-iii-tony-rodriguez-crash-daily-cover

What a sad story , Ruggs needs to pay a heavy price for what he did.

Damn...that is so sad.

6 hours ago, maddenboy said:

A couple points i havent seen mentioned wrt the criminal defense attorneys:

1)  Most of the rules that protect us have come from HARD fought cases.  for example, Miranda rights, Warrantless searches, etc.  Public defenders are often too busy to run some exotic motion that, though they have heard about it, just dont have time to even begin the research.  Rich people with expensive attorneys do have an advantage, but its an advantage in maximum Fairness of the system.  Their rising tide could be said to lift more boats

2)  Ruggs probably had Insurance policies in excess of minimum state limits and most insurers deny coverage for DUI.   So with zero insurance (unless he has life policies or some such), His family has millions at stake.  No matter what happens in criminal court, the following monday morning the civil Wrongful Death suit will be filed.  Civil plaintiffs always lets criminal go first, because of the higher standard of proof.  It makes suing the defendant easier if he was already convicted beyond a reasonable doubt [i'm heavily simplifying here, but this is the gist]

Enter the insurers or, more likely, the regular civil defense attorneys.  The more success Ruggs has in crim court, the better their negotiating leverage in Civil.  I'm sure this is a tiny factor but i hadnt seen it mentioned.

This is not true... This would really screw over the victims for liability settlements if it was. Your coverage will be cancelled for DUI, but all the policies I know of from the major carriers do not exclude coverage for being involved in a tort involving DUI.

On 11/2/2021 at 1:24 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he maintains his skill level, you can count on it.  In my opinion.  Judging by past history, Chiefs would be all over it.

There was a WR if memory serves me correct that was with the Browns 🤔 that hit & killed some one and paid his way out of it i think ?

I do believe he did play again for another team or he may have went to the Browns after this happened i can't remember .

I for what ever reason feel that it was just about the same results or the same charges & he only spent a minimal time in jail like 12 days total it may have been in ATL ???

But it did show me that if you have enough money you can buy your self out of something like this but with that being said if someone has any conscience at all i can't imagine living with that for the rest of your life ...

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

"their" lies, half truths and street gutter character

Who's THEIR exactly? This is definitely racist and pretty disgusting.

1 hour ago, T master said:

There was a WR if memory serves me correct that was with the Browns 🤔 that hit & killed some one and paid his way out of it i think ?

I do believe he did play again for another team or he may have went to the Browns after this happened i can't remember .

I for what ever reason feel that it was just about the same results or the same charges & he only spent a minimal time in jail like 12 days total it may have been in ATL ???

But it did show me that if you have enough money you can buy your self out of something like this but with that being said if someone has any conscience at all i can't imagine living with that for the rest of your life ...

Yes, Dante Stallworth.  The big thing there was the person Stallworth hit was in the middle of a large highway in the middle of the night.  But Stallworth did spend a short time in jail and have a lot of other things enforced due to him being drunk.  I do not believe he was speeding but I honestly don't know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand what race you feel that a slur was made against by the other poster. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/13/2022 at 4:29 AM, GunnerBill said:

Exactly this. Our system depends, entirely, on everyone having proper legal representation. Defence attorneys are providing an essential public service. Seeing them as "scum" for doing their jobs is totally unfair. 

iagree

the scum lawyers are the ones who sue geico for an STD in car sex.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

He was referring to the lawyers, unless you Identify attorneys to be a race, this would not meet the definition of the term “racism”.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, cle23 said:

Yes, Dante Stallworth.  The big thing there was the person Stallworth hit was in the middle of a large highway in the middle of the night.  But Stallworth did spend a short time in jail and have a lot of other things enforced due to him being drunk.  I do not believe he was speeding but I honestly don't know.

This situation was much different than Stallworth. Stallworth was barely over the legal limit. Was not going over the speed limit, and it was a pedestrian that jumped out between two cars. The rule was that if he hadn't been over the legal limit, he would have had no responsibility. There were bystanders that said it was 100% the pedestrians fault, much different than the story of the bystanders amount above.

Ruggs would be serving jail time regardless if he was drinking or not. Him being way over the limit will add charges and more time to the sentence.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:02 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

What this guy did was horrible. He should do jail time. Never drive again.

However I don't believe he should spend his life in jail. There's a difference between reckless and malicious. This is a personal feeling, but I don't believe this level of reckless deserves life in jail. I would reserve that for multiple human fatalities, but that's just me, and I know everyone is different.

You will get lambasted for this comment but, looking at it from a NON EMOTIONAL standpoint, I would agree.  People want to virtue signal here to deorate their outrage, blah blah bah.  Anyone ho has ever driven drunk doesnt have much moral highground  in this thread.

If I were the Judge, I would put him away for probably 10-20 years.  Courts currently often dont sentence pre-meditated murderers to much more but it was an accident,   A horrific accident.    Life in Jail for him is absurd and wildly over the top.  His life is ruined, career over,  ruined financially, never drive again, all things he "earned" himself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You will get lambasted for this comment but, looking at it from a NON EMOTIONAL standpoint, I would agree.  People want to virtue signal here to deorate their outrage, blah blah bah.  Anyone ho has ever driven drunk doesnt have much moral highground  in this thread.

If I were the Judge, I would put him away for probably 10-20 years.  Courts currently often dont sentence pre-meditated murderers to much more but it was an accident,   A horrific accident.    Life in Jail for him is absurd and wildly over the top.  His life is ruined, career over,  ruined financially, never drive again, all things he "earned" himself.

If he gets out within the next 5 years I would say his career is not over.  NFL is littered with child / women abusers, rapists, drug and alcohol abusers, etc.  As sad as it is, I’m sure some team would give him a chance (Chiefs, Ravens, Browns).

On 6/14/2022 at 11:28 AM, Bill from NYC said:

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand what race you feel that a slur was made against by the other poster. 

What does "street gutter character" mean to you?

If you can't figure that out then you're either oblivious or intentionally ignoring it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.