[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

15 hours ago, Doc said:

He was buying it to make meth.  That's the reason pseudoephedrine is kept locked behind the counter.

No matter how well you know someone, you never really know them fully.  Even spouses. 

He wasn't making meth, I'm 100% sure. 

On 11/5/2021 at 2:03 AM, unbillievable said:

A few states classify "street racing" by speed, not intention.

Would this qualify, or does insurance companies have different rules. 

Defined by the insurance policy as "organized racing." So has to be pre planned. Like not just see a dude at a red light and decide to race him.

• 7 months later...
29 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know if there is a good plan out there for him, but this doesn't feel like a great idea.

If I did what he did (and I know him to be a good kid who made a catastrophic decision and royally threw it all away, and worse killed a young innocent women who was minding her own business) I wouldn’t even fight the case honestly. I’d take the best plea deal offered…if there wasn’t an offer since it’s a slam dunk….still plead guilty and take whatever I earned.

I know he is just listening to the advice of his scumbag lawyers and this wasn’t his idea but so tf what Id fire them and plead guilty. 

• Like (+1) 1

The police didn’t have probable cause for a blood sample?  LOL.  

Driving 120 mph on a side street, crashing into a young woman and her dog, causing her car to turn into a blazing inferno while you watch and listen to her screams for help isn’t probable cause.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The police didn’t have probable cause for a blood sample?  LOL.  

Driving 120 mph on a side street, crashing into a young woman and her dog, causing her car to turn into a blazing inferno while you watch and listen to her screams for help isn’t probable cause.

Yep... everyone is innocent until proven guilty.   Johnny  Cochran would approve of this attorneys approach. 

7 hours ago, StHustle said:

If I did what he did (and I know him to be a good kid who made a catastrophic decision and royally threw it all away, and worse killed a young innocent women who was minding her own business) I wouldn’t even fight the case honestly. I’d take the best plea deal offered…if there wasn’t an offer since it’s a slam dunk….still plead guilty and take whatever I earned.

I know he is just listening to the advice of his scumbag lawyers and this wasn’t his idea but so tf what Id fire them and plead guilty. 

His lawyers job is to ensure this dingus receives a fair trial.  If LE or the DA screw things up that’s on them, not on the lawyer or the accused.  People so quick to assume all lawyers are scum when really it’s the nature of their job when representing people charged with heinous crimes.  

• Agree 6

37 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

His lawyers job is to ensure this dingus receives a fair trial.  If LE or the DA screw things up that’s on them, not on the lawyer or the accused.  People so quick to assume all lawyers are scum when really it’s the nature of their job when representing people charged with heinous crimes.  

Exactly this. Our system depends, entirely, on everyone having proper legal representation. Defence attorneys are providing an essential public service. Seeing them as "scum" for doing their jobs is totally unfair. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

4 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Bro I am well versed on the legal system. But if I know I was wasted and did some ish like this, why would I need a trial? Why put that woman's family through wondering if somehow your riches will get you off?? They need and deserve justice. Explain how getting my BAC excluded is a fair trial? Sounds like attempting to skirt the system to me! I wasn't always who I am now. I am a convicted felon. My crimes were "victimless" tho and of course I'm trying my best to lighten my charges and hopefully beat the case or get a light sentence. But not if I KILLED SOMEONE completely cause of my recklessness. 

This is not your usual case and yes a lawyer that is trying to help a man get away with this is a scumbag to me. I don't care what you say. Yes he deserves representation...plenty scumbags willing to take his money! I don't care what the law is or how the system is created to work...any person attempting to help someone get away with the murder of a completely innocent person is a SCUMBAG! It don't make it ok cause it's your job! Hitler had plenty workers as well!

• Disagree 4
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Bro I am well versed on the legal system. But if I know I was wasted and did some ish like this, why would I need a trial? Why put that woman's family through wondering if somehow your riches will get you off?? They need and deserve justice. Explain how getting my BAC excluded is a fair trial? Sounds like attempting to skirt the system to me! I wasn't always who I am now. I am a convicted felon. My crimes were "victimless" tho and of course I'm trying my best to lighten my charges and hopefully beat the case or get a light sentence. But not if I KILLED SOMEONE completely cause of my recklessness. 

This is not your usual case and yes a lawyer that is trying to help a man get away with this is a scumbag to me. I don't care what you say. Yes he deserves representation...plenty scumbags willing to take his money! I don't care what the law is or how the system is created to work...any person attempting to help someone get away with the murder of a completely innocent person is a SCUMBAG! It don't make it ok cause it's your job! Hitler had plenty workers as well!

Nothing I say to this will change your mind on due process or the right to a fair trial.  Lawyers don’t determine who is/isn't guilty, the jury does.  Lawyers are there to ensure the defendants get a fair trial , that is all.  This like hating on a military doctor that revives an adversary combatant.  They both do their job independent of who their patient/client is.  As for the remainder on your paragraph I have no comment.  P.S. I’m not your bro…pal 😝 

Edited by TheWeatherMan

34 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Nothing I say to this will change your mind on due process or the right to a fair trial.  Lawyers don’t determine who is/isn't guilty, the jury does.  Lawyers are there to ensure the defendants get a fair trial , that is all.  This like hating on a military doctor that revives an adversary combatant.  They both do their job independent of who their patient/client is.  As for the remainder on your paragraph I have no comment.  P.S. I’m not your bro…pal 😝 

Again....an argument is being made that police had no probable cause to take his BAC and trying to get it thrown out of evidence. A YOUNG WOMAN BURNED TO DEATH! So to you all cases are equal? You act like he got caught stealing a candy bar! Who cares if he gets off on a technicality in that. I believe people should own up to their actions...this is an open and closed case. Plead guilty and hope the judge shows mercy on you for being a stand up person and not dragging that unfortunate girls family through a trial and attempting to get away with her murder. 

And yes he does has a right to representation. But if I'm a lawyer...I'm not gonna take just any case! The scumbag money hungry attention seeking attorneys can jump all over that one. To say someone isn't scum cause they're doing theyre job is being very simple minded. You can't tell many any upstanding human being would attempt to get a man off who they know in fact raped children cause they can use some technicality in the law books and get the case thrown out. Set him free to go rape more kids then just say you were doing your job. Make it make sense. Some people act like complete sheep. Use your own brain and stop letting society tell you what's right and wrong and how things should go. God gave humans consciences for a reason!

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Again....an argument is being made that police had no probable cause to take his BAC and trying to get it thrown out of evidence. A YOUNG WOMAN BURNED TO DEATH! So to you all cases are equal? You act like he got caught stealing a candy bar! Who cares if he gets off on a technicality in that. I believe people should own up to their actions...this is an open and closed case. Plead guilty and hope the judge shows mercy on you for being a stand up person and not dragging that unfortunate girls family through a trial and attempting to get away with her murder. 

And yes he does has a right to representation. But if I'm a lawyer...I'm not gonna take just any case! The scumbag money hungry attention seeking attorneys can jump all over that one. To say someone isn't scum cause they're doing theyre job is being very simple minded. You can't tell many any upstanding human being would attempt to get a man off who they know in fact raped children cause they can use some technicality in the law books and get the case thrown out. Set him free to go rape more kids then just say you were doing your job. Make it make sense. Some people act like complete sheep. Use your own brain and stop letting society tell you what's right and wrong and how things should go. God gave humans consciences for a reason!

So who decides whether this a case where the defendant deserves representation? You based on your sense of morality? 

Yea. I think I will stick with the current system, thanks. Every single individual deserves to be properly represented. If nothing else to ensure that when said person is convicted that person cannot later find a procedural irregularatory to have the conviction quashed. Better that the original trial lawyer raises those matters initially and the original court is presented with any such arguments. 

Good defense attorneys are performing an essential societal service. Even when they are defending "bad" people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, StHustle said:

You say that until your lawyers show you what kind of time you're looking at.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

It seems your anger should be directed toward Ruggs; he’s the one you said should just plead guilty.  The lawyer is just doing what Ruggs is paying him to do. Ruggs could decline to have this motion advanced. But it looks like he’s going to fight this all the way, which is his decision and his right. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

It seems your anger should be directed toward Ruggs; he’s the one you said should just plead guilty.  The lawyer is just doing what Ruggs is paying him to do. Ruggs could decline to have this motion advanced. But it looks like he’s going to fight this all the way, which is his decision and his right. 

He could also be hoping to get a better deal, which is easier if they can weaken the prosecutions case some.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

If a lawyer was unwilling to represent him the county would have to provide him with a public defense attorney anyways. And if his attorney didn't defend him to the best of his ability he could have the conviction thrown out in appeals court. Convicting someone of a major crime isn't supposed to be easy. Defense attorneys have a thankless job but it's necessary to keep our justice system totally equal.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

What this guy did was horrible. He should do jail time. Never drive again.

However I don't believe he should spend his life in jail. There's a difference between reckless and malicious. This is a personal feeling, but I don't believe this level of reckless deserves life in jail. I would reserve that for multiple human fatalities, but that's just me, and I know everyone is different.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So who decides whether this a case where the defendant deserves representation? You based on your sense of morality? 

Yea. I think I will stick with the current system, thanks. Every single individual deserves to be properly represented. If nothing else to ensure that when said person is convicted that person cannot later find a procedural irregularatory to have the conviction quashed. Better that the original trial lawyer raises those matters initially and the original court is presented with any such arguments. 

Good defense attorneys are performing an essential societal service. Even when they are defending "bad" people.

I never said he doesn’t deserve representation. When did I say that? Maybe I should make bullet points so you understand what hat I’m saying.

•Everyone deserves res presentation and there are plenty slimeball lawyers available to try to get people off who are clearly guilty. In my opinion, any lawyer who indeed takes that sort of case fits in that category.

•In a case where you know that, in fact you were committing multiple crimes that caused an innocent person to die, you shouldn’t try to get off but simply plead for the least time you’ll have to serve. I can understand doing that, and that always involve admitting guilt and pleading accordingly.

•This case is an extreme one and all cases should be viewed independently based on circumstances and not have some blanket idea applied to it as if it’s equal. His actions caused a young woman to burn alive along with her dog. Witness heard her screaming! So effin sad man. How can you view a lawyer attempting to use a technicality in an attempt to help a person who did this get off Scott free as anything but scumbag behavior? Again, there are plenty scumbag lawyers willing to do this and just cause they are stepping in to provide this “essential service” it still takes one of these scumbag lawyers I spoke of to fill this role. Doesn’t make them any less of a scumbag cause they’re doing their job. 

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

You say that until your lawyers show you what kind of time you're looking at.

I would man up and face it! My actions caused a totally innocent person to have a horrible death and family left to deal with that  fact their lives one went out burning alive for the rest of their lives.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I am definitely upset with Ruggs! He should MAN TF UP! However I’m sure his lawyer would love the accolades of somehow winning this case and getting him off Scott free. What a boost to their career right! Who cares what injustices or victims family members who get completely crushed all over agin in the process!

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.