[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

True. I think the stuff that used to be allowed to slide was bumping the neighbor’s mailbox on the way back from happy hour. It’s all wrong, but there are degrees. If bumping the mailbox is Lake Erie, Ruggs doing 157 mph with double the legal BAC is the Pacific Ocean. I wish I was surprised by these extremes, but it is just FAR too common to illicit the shock that it should. Horrific tragedy. It’s hard to fathom the grief of a life lost so unexpectedly. 

He deserves to go to jail even if he had not killed someone. That's just ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Most teams have support numbers and their agent probably does as well.  A pro athlete can do better than an Udder for team or agent will send someone to take car as well.

Not sure why this happens with their many resources.  I guess ego, pride and wanting privacy gets in the way.  

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

He deserves to go to jail even if he had not killed someone. That's just ridiculous.

What do you think the odds are that this was the very first time he did something similar. People can usually get away with stuff……for a while. If he’d been caught once before this tragedy might not have happened. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Not sure why this happens with their many resources.  I guess ego, pride and wanting privacy gets in the way.  

Mostly because player does not want team to know he is out drinking to early morning but even a PS player earns enough to pay for a private driver.

There was one player who used to take limo to & from Toronto.

4 hours ago, Muppy said:

2BD might want to consider a sarcasm emoji for times like this lol

m

You’d hope this one would be obvious enough, but, well…..you obviously know how we can be here…..    🤷‍♀️

Maybe he should have smoked some weed instead. He’d be almost to his destination by now. 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Mostly because player does not want team to know he is out drinking to early morning but even a PS player earns enough to pay for a private driver.

any respectable team would draw a hard boundary of not monitoring this service. It’s to keep guys out of the news, not to give them a hard time 

It's one thing to wreck your own life with reckless stupidity, it's another thing to murder an innocent 23 yr old woman because of it. 

It is so easy to get a cab or limo 24/7 in Vegas, what an easily avoidable tragedy.

156 mph? What an #######.

Emo and remorseful Derek Carr wishing there was something he could have done to prevent this

https://www.tmz.com/videos/2021-11-03-110321-derek-carr-1297615/

"Did I not let him know that I would be there for him at 3 am?"

I have to say that video with the raw emotion and regret in it (for something he had no personal part in) makes me think better of Derek Carr as a person and as a leader.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Emo and remorseful Derek Carr wishing there was something he could have done to prevent this

https://www.tmz.com/videos/2021-11-03-110321-derek-carr-1297615/

"Did I not let him know that I would be there for him at 3 am?"

I have to say that video with the raw emotion and regret in it (for something he had no personal part in) makes me think better of Derek Carr as a person and as a leader.

I do wonder if he’s missing the mark on the “being there for him at 3am” sentiment

this isn’t the high school kid nervous about getting in trouble making a bad choice trying to get home. 

the man decided to joy ride at the most extreme levels. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

You're correct that even a practice squad player earns enough, if not to pay for a $100/hr private driver - at least enough to pay for a taxi, Uber, or Lyft 2-4x/week.  Something like $165k/yr

It's my understanding that the NFLPA sponsors a ride service.  This is from 2013 but I haven't seen anything about them discontinuing it.

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201304/nfl-players-worry-about-privacy-when-using-car-service

"Just call the 1-800 number on the back of your NFL player I.D. card. The NFL Players Association will provide a chauffeured car to take you wherever and whenever -- that's 24/7/365 -- you need to go......

...The confidential NFLPA program -- provided in cooperation with its vendor, Corporate Security Solutions, Inc. -- offers a ride anywhere in the United States or Canada.....

The PTL has two offerings. Though the NFLPA assumes the administrative fees, the prearranged ride costs players $90 (including gratuity) per hour for a black limo sedan. The cost rises if a player chooses other vehicle options, including Escalades (the most popular choice), Hummers, stretch limos or a party bus. Players can pay with a credit card.....

The other offering is the "emergency" response or a non-scheduled pickup. If a player needs a ride or has drunk too much, he can call the number. An operator/security representative at CSSI's command center in Orlando, Fla. will answer, take their information and dispatch a sedan, costing $90 per hour, to pick up the player."

It says CSSI guarantees confidentiality, and after the ride is paid for CSSI shreds the paperwork. 

Of course, whether or not this program still exists, the player could take an UBER, Lyft, or taxi at potentially lower cost (but be subject to the honesty of the driver not sharing on social media "guess who I just transported"

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I do wonder if he’s missing the mark on the “being there for him at 3am” sentiment

this isn’t the high school kid nervous about getting in trouble making a bad choice trying to get home. 

the man decided to joy ride at the most extreme levels. 

When he was interviewed, Carr may not have been aware of some of the details - like the 156 mph speed and his BAC, or the woman in the car he struck being trapped and burnt alive.

I know initially I assumed it was more the standard "drank too much at Top Golf and the dance club we visited afterwards, and thought I could still drive home"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.