[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

This is horrible.  I don't think two years is enough but I don't think he should spend the rest of his life in jail either.  He made a mistake.  Not just a mistake but a huge mistake.  People need to stop thinking "I can drive.  This won't happen to me"

I think he should give the family his entire wealth other than what he needs to survive a normal life.  Do about 10 years in jail and then spend the rest of his life giving some kind of drunk driving education to high schools around the country.

Edited by Scott7975

6 hours ago, Process said:

What % of people calling for a maximum sentence and for him to rot in prison do you think have driven when they shouldn't have at least once in their life? 90%+?

Yes he messed up. Yes he should be punished and spend time in jail. But he's 22yo. It's a sad situation all around.

I'm guilty of it during my younger, dumber years and consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate that I never injured anyone or myself.

1 mistake is all it takes and your life is altered forever.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

• Chandler#81 changed the title to [Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

As someone who had his fair share of DWI’s in my younger years. 20+ years ago I got 3 of them. No tolerance for underage was something I clearly didn’t understand. That said I was punished what I consider severely for my stupidity. Sitting through impact panels and things like that I can’t imagine how bad the suffering is for families who lose someone to such dumb actions, and I couldn’t imagine trying to go on with my life after killing someone. I was extremely lucky I didn’t have one of these situations. The only positive I can take is I was able to get sober and decades later remain that way. What I seen and heard in those impact panels did actually stick with me. And yes there was much much more penalties I had besides just the impact panels. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

As someone who had his fair share of DWI’s in my younger years. 20+ years ago I got 3 of them. No tolerance for underage was something I clearly didn’t understand. That said I was punished what I consider severely for my stupidity. Sitting through impact panels and things like that I can’t imagine how bad the suffering is for families who lose someone to such dumb actions, and I couldn’t imagine trying to go on with my life after killing someone. I was extremely lucky I didn’t have one of these situations. The only positive I can take is I was able to get sober and decades later remain that way. What I seen and heard in those impact panels did actually stick with me. And yes there was much much more penalties I had besides just the impact panels. 

I’ll forget Ruggs right now and just focus on this. I can’t tell you how happy I am that you lived, and learned, even if it was hard at times. Well done, and I wish you all the best! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ll forget Ruggs right now and just focus on this. I can’t tell you how happy I am that you lived, and learned, even if it was hard at times. Well done, and I wish you all the best! 

Thank you, I appreciate it. It certainly wasn’t easy. Stories like these are tragic. Wasted lives and talent 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Very sad. My heart breaks for everyone involved. Someone just driving and then bam, life over. Family loses a loved one in an instant

I can’t imagine what Ruggs must be feeling and everyone else involved. He has a young daughter, his career is likely over and he now has to live with the fact a person is dead because of his actions. It’s an awful awful situation

He deserves to be punished and harshly, but I do think of the human in him during this. He is just 22. It’s just awful

everything from every angle 

Truly is a human tragedy...

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are mistakes and mistakes.  If you make a decision to do something that is illegal and known to be dangerous, and it costs someone their life, do you think it should be treated in the same category as "a mistake" like shoplifting or breaking a store window or something?

The key legal threshold for a murder charge in many jurisdictions is premeditated intent.

In this instance, you could argue that there was an intention to "do something stupid and unlawful which had the potential to cause harm or death", but you could not argue deliberate and premeditated intent to take someone's life.

Regardless, it's a tragic set of circumstances for all involved. Prayers for everyone.

2 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

The key legal threshold for a murder charge in many jurisdictions is premeditated intent.

Correct. You need a mens rea and an actus rea. In the UK this would almost certainly be charged as manslaughter (though I believe in America that is often called 2nd degree murder) essentially it is unlawful killing without the intent. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I will never understand this. Grab a ***** Uber 

I’d be surprised if the teams don’t stress this, and/or offer car service.

No excuse at all, but when I was in my twenties and doing stupid things we didn’t have Uber.  Nowadays, you can be in an Uber within 5 minutes and on your way.  Vegas I’m sure has plenty of options.

51 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

No excuse at all, but when I was in my twenties and doing stupid things we didn’t have Uber.  Nowadays, you can be in an Uber within 5 minutes and on your way.  Vegas I’m sure has plenty of options.

All these piece of ***** people care about is looking good in a car they own. They don't give a ***** about someone's life as long as they can drive that hot ***** to the club.

Edited by TBBills
  • Dislike 1

58 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I believe teams do, but it's said the players don't want to use it.  They don't necessarily want the teams to know what they're up to.

At least as of a few years back, the NFLPA offered a car service that does not report who uses it to the teams.  You could both pre-plan rides and call in an emergency.

19 minutes ago, TBBills said:

All these piece of ***** people care about is looking good in a car they own. They don't give a ***** about someone's life as long as they can drive that hot ***** to the club.

It is not necessarily that they don’t care .. when you are young you just feel invincible… “I got this” mentality.

This particular piece of ******* very well may be a great guy who made a collassal misjudgment that will impact the victims family and his forever. 

“In April 2020, Henry Ruggs partnered with Three Square, a southern Nevada food bank, to donate meals to those in need because of the COVID-19 pandemic. On May 7, 2020, Ruggs’ daughter was born.”

Tragic for all parties involved, except the lawyers of course.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

At my agency in NY, I bring the blood kit to the hospital, get the sample from a nurse and secure it in a refrigerated locker at my department for the lab to analyze. 

Not all departments have the same procedures or resources though. I have no idea how they do things in that area of Nevada.

This is how most if not all Police Agencies across the country work.  The hospital laboratories are not set up to run chain of custody testing for court cases and therefore the results are usually non admissible as anything other than support of the forensic findings.

The hospitals will draw drug and alcohol samples for treatment - those results can become part of the big picture, but they are usually not used for more than support of the final chain of custody results sent to a forensic lab.  The hospital results will be available on site usually with 15 - 30 minutes and the forensic samples can take a few weeks to months because you are screening and then confirming the results along with quantifying the levels.  

That data is then provided to usually a pathologist/medical director to review and sign off on and put together a legal packet showing everyone that touched the sample from collection, storage of the sample, and all of the testing performed on the sample.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, appoo said:

They would have said that and not "showed signs of impairment". They wouldn't hide a blood test which showed he was legally drunk

That is the type of thing the police will not release in their statements.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.