[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

I’m not defending Ruggs, but this thread is judge, jury and executioner all in one thread a 1/2 day after the accident. 

Funny, when one of our own was caught drag racing on Milestrip Rd(and luckily hit a tree instead of another car), there was a whole bunch of chalking it up to being a “troubled youth” who had to deal with much adversity growing up. 

Edited by BTB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Process said:

What % of people calling for a maximum sentence and for him to rot in prison do you think have driven when they shouldn't have at least once in their life? 90%+?

Yes he messed up. Yes he should be punished and spend time in jail. But he's 22yo. It's a sad situation all around.

Totally agree.  I wonder what % of people would fail a breathalyzer test leaving a Bills home game. 

53 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

If Ruggs is in the hospital due to the broken hip, they absolutely would use the hospital to draw and result the lab test. Of course they would require a warrant before the hospital can take the labs. BTW, I am an RN in the ICU

The police would definitely get his blood from the hospital, either voluntarily or with a warrant. In my experience though, the blood work is done by the department’s forensic lab, especially if it’s an agency with those kind of resources. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

What % of people calling for a maximum sentence and for him to rot in prison do you think have driven when they shouldn't have at least once in their life? 90%+?

Yes he messed up. Yes he should be punished and spend time in jail. But he's 22yo. It's a sad situation all around.

Very sad. My heart breaks for everyone involved. Someone just driving and then bam, life over. Family loses a loved one in an instant

I can’t imagine what Ruggs must be feeling and everyone else involved. He has a young daughter, his career is likely over and he now has to live with the fact a person is dead because of his actions. It’s an awful awful situation

He deserves to be punished and harshly, but I do think of the human in him during this. He is just 22. It’s just awful

everything from every angle 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Process said:

lots of people commit crimes that are never caught. Doesn’t mean that you give lesser sentences to the people who get caught. 

The Drunk Driving defense force here is really gross.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, BTB said:

I’m not defending Ruggs, but this thread is judge, jury and executioner all in one thread a 1/2 day after the accident. 

Funny, when one of our own was caught drag racing on Milestrip Rd(and luckily hit a tree instead of another car), there was a whole bunch of chalking it up to being a “troubled youth” who had to deal with much adversity growing up. 

Funny? Did he kill another human being while drag racing? Apples & Oranges. 

What percentage of those same people have killed another human being while driving under the influence? 🤔

How many people have you killed?

3 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Your right, Ruggs is not you or I and in this world money does the talking…the guy you know is an everyday “Joe” and he did 2 1/2…then Ruggs probably gets probation and a fine(that’s what I’m expecting anyway,) and a year from now we will hear Chris Collinsworth giving him verbal BJs on Sunday Night Football telling people how rehabilitated he is and that it’s just a huge success story. It’s just gross and this man should be out of football for life, just as the family of the individual he killed will suffer….for life. 

Probation isn't an option for this charge.  He does 2-20.

His lawyer isn't getting him off and there's likely little reason for the DA to plead it down.

He's done.  

• Like (+1) 1

What percentage of those same people have killed another human being while driving under the influence? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Probation isn't an option for this charge.  He does 2-20.

His lawyer isn't getting him off and there's likely little reason for the DA to plead it down.

He's done.  

realistically, if shooting in the dark completely… somewhat viable odds he gets 2 years- reduced with good behavior. Misses this year and next… and then maybe he comes back. For tryouts for the 2023 season. 

but it’s too early to say how likely it is. 

3 hours ago, BTB said:

I’m honestly asking, because I don’t know - was this some kind of (for lack of a better phrase) “ordinary accident”? Or was this a wild act of stupidity (beyond drinking and driving)? The hour alone tells you bad judgment was involved beyond just drinking and driving. 

I know someone who got plastered on St Patricks Day and drove the wrong way up a divided highway and killed a guy. Yep, REALLY bad.  Should that be viewed differently than a guy who blew a .082 and tried to get thru a yellow light hurting or killing someone? The act could be less egregious, with a more horrific outcome. There has to be some way to balance the act and the outcome, and I honestly don’t know how that should work. 

There are comments about viewing it differently because someone died. Drag racing could be inherently more dangerous than what was going on in this situation, but they just got luckier. I guess luck is a huge factor in our lives. The smarter you are, the luckier you tend to be. 

I know of two cases where pedestrians died and nobody was charged (no alcohol involved). 

There is always a rush to judgment when I think we should be looking for more information before having any firm opinion regarding events we know so little about. 

Edited by Augie

3 hours ago, Process said:

He killed someone.  Big difference than being buzzed and getting pulled over for a broken taillight etc.  he hit that car so hard he caused it to catch fire. Did you see the pictures.  Wasn’t a love tap

will be dependent on “ how much above” he was even though over is over.   

I do agree that many if not most have driven that shouldn’t have.  Been there myself but not to the point I’m driving fast and reckless.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The police would definitely get his blood from the hospital, either voluntarily or with a warrant. In my experience though, the blood work is done by the department’s forensic lab, especially if it’s an agency with those kind of resources. 

In California, the police sometimes supply a kit that its drawn with that meets the specific requirements for chain of custody etc. Sometimes its pulled with that kit and passed on to the police, but often is run by the hospital lab to prevent it from hemolyzing before its able to get tested. If they wait to long and it does hemolyze then they'd have to draw again. Time is crucial since the body is actively metabolizing the alcohol.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m honestly asking, because I don’t know - was this some kind of (for lack of a better phrase) “ordinary accident”? Or was this a wild act of stupidity (beyond drinking and driving)? The hour alone tells you bad judgment was involved beyond just drinking and driving. 

I know someone who got plastered on St Patricks Day and drove the wrong way up a divided highway and killed a guy. Yep, REALLY bad.  Should that be viewed differently than a guy who blew a .082 and tried to get thru a yellow light hurting or killing someone? The act could be less egregious, with a more horrific outcome. There has to be some way to balance the act and the outcome, and I honestly don’t know how that should work. 

I know of two cases where pedestrians died and nobody was charged (no alcohol involved). 

There are comments about viewing it differently because someone died. Drag racing could be inherently more dangerous than what was going on in this situation, but they just got luckier. I guess luck is a huge factor in our lives. The smarter you are, the luckier you tend to be. 

There is always a rush to judgment when I think we should be looking for more information before having any firm opinion regarding events we know so little about. 

Doubt we'll get any more information than what has already been released.

The philosophical questions of just how bad this is will be argued between lawyers from now on. The rest of us will just have to wrestle with our own scale of criminality on this one.

Personally, I have no perspective since I've been lucky enough not to know anyone who has experienced either side of this tragedy, so my first reaction was football related...

Edited by unbillievable

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.