NFL Trade Deadline: The Bills Trade Rumors Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, Beerball said:

Sorry, I just can't understand this.  In the immortal words of Herm Edwards and all that stuff.  If 1959 refers to the year of your birth then you're just a bit younger than I am. I'm sure you're in better shape than I am, but if it doesn't happen with this core group then the chances of me seeing them win it all diminishes.

Once your QB takes a bite of the 2nd contract apple things get much, much more difficult on a team.  Look around the league and tell me I'm wrong.

You’re wrong.  See Tampa, Rams and 2018, 2019 Chiefs.

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Huh? The Rams have consistently been a contender in the NFL since adopting their “mortgaging the future every year” strategy. And they’ve gotten even better this year.

Every year we hear “they have no depth, they are crazy!” And every year, that’s wrong.

The Rams depth issue showed up last year in the playoffs when they got sent home in GB…. Not that replacing Donald is really an easy proposition, but having multiple guys on the D line to cover for one going down helps. The same issue could pop up again with a Ramsey or Donald injury even though the Miller trade will insure they have two pass rushers. 

47 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Why spend a 2nd round draft pick on a proven, high quality guard like Norwell, when you can just draft the next Cody Ford. 

Kidding. Kinda. I’ll trust Beane knows what he’s doing, despite what appears to be a glaring weakness in the interior OL.

I think your first point is correct.  

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Huh? The Rams have consistently been a contender in the NFL since adopting their “mortgaging the future every year” strategy. And they’ve gotten even better this year.

Every year we hear “they have no depth, they are crazy!” And every year, that’s wrong.

It has been this year and last year that they have really gone all in their strategy. As of now, I believe the Rams have a 5th and 2 7th round picks in 2022 and 2023 isn’t looking that much better.

And how many Super Bowls have they won?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Why spend a 2nd round draft pick on a proven, high quality guard like Norwell, when you can just draft the next Cody Ford.

Norwell was very likely not on the trade market.  Sure, the Jags would like a draft pick, but they're already having a hard enough time keeping Lawrence upright

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Weatherman said:

You’re wrong.  See Tampa, Rams and 2018, 2019 Chiefs.

Tampa has won one. & Brady is as always playing for far less than market value.  Let me know when that's the case w Allen.

Rams have won zero, but if they do win they're proving my point. They have mortgaged the future to win now.

Chiefs have won one (on Mahomes first contract) and they are currently struggling to remain above .500.

You're not very good at this game.

9 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

It has been this year and last year that they have really gone all in their strategy. As of now, I believe the Rams have a 5th and 2 7th round picks in 2022 and 2023 isn’t looking that much better.

And how many Super Bowls have they won?

How many Super Bowls have we won with our strategy?

• Eyeroll 1

This is a discussion better for the offseason and leading up to the draft but I googled top OL for the 2022 draft. According to the "experts" these were some of the names that came up.

T-Evan Neal Alabama

C-Tyler Linderbaum Iowa

T-Kenyon Green Texas A&M

G-Ikem Ekwonu NC State

T-Daniel Faalele Minnesota

Anyone have any opinions on some of these players and could they fall to the Bills when they pick

13 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think this regime's biggest flaw is they overvalue the talent they have and don't want to concede to failure when it comes to their draft picks and FA signings. Because if they did they certainly wouldn't have kept Addison/Butler and could have used that money elsewhere in the offseason.

At the end of the day it's not shocking this team didn't make a trade today because most other teams in the league didn't either, but anything short of a championship this season in Buffalo has to be considered a failure and I think that's when the clock starts ticking on this regime in terms of their long term viability. And sure some will laugh and say this is crazy but this is a results driven league and many other franchise have cut the cord on GM's and HC's that have been successful in the regular season and getting teams to the playoffs consistently, but failing to deliver in the postseason.

Bottom line the window is only open for so long in this league and I still don't feel this team is nearly as good as some fans and media believe, but it all goes back to the offseason approach that Beane decided to take in terms of keeping the same exact team intact that fell short last year for the most part. And it will likely be the same reasons this team falls short yet again come next january.

Your absolutely correct 🤦‍♂️ - I mean the Bills haven’t been flogged for trading a draft pick like Wyatt Teller - they just hold on to these guys.

They didn’t recognize and improve on a draft pick like Ray Ray McCloud by getting a guy like McKenzie and cutting their draft pick.

They didn’t recognize issues with FAs like Benjamin, Spain, and a ton of others and move on.

Nope they are the only team that values consistency, allowing their draft picks time to grow, having veteran leadership at positions, and trying to balance team and financial goals to have long term success.

Yep - if they don’t win the SB this year - the clock is going on this regime- I mean the coach would be practically dead man walking despite his newly signed contract.  I mean let’s ignore what they have done and fire them because they didn’t win it all because they didn’t make some stupid hypothetical trade for a non-existent Guard at the trade deadline.

Bottom line is a window is only open so long - I mean NE didn’t just go on a 20 year run and GB hasn’t been in a window for nearly that long, Pittsburgh and Baltimore haven’t been yearly playoff teams for most of the 2000s, NO with Drew Brees wasn’t a nearly annual lock for wins, Seattle before that,  etc.  Most of these teams with long, long windows seem to have one thing in common - they do not make stupid deadline deals that hurt the team and remove future talent.

Basically you would have preferred the KC approach to go out and overspend on an OLine that then is no better than their OLine that failed last year, but has hurt them more financially.  

NewsFlash - every team except one falls short every year.  Sometimes the best team wins - sometimes the underdog wins.  Sometimes trades help and make a difference and many times they don’t.  It is just plain stupid to think that a team with the 2 year success the Bills have had and the way the team plays together and for each other and the fact that they are a top offensive and defensive team and you think they should blow it up because Beane worked to keep a 13-3 team together and added talent - all while re-signing many players, but the fact that he didn’t make a hypothetical trade means we should give up.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How many Super Bowls have we won with our strategy?

We may very well win one this year. The point is, I can name plenty of teams that have won Super Bowls by sensibly building their teams. How many SB winning teams can you name that have given virtually an entire draft away to "win now?"

But hey, if you think giving up next year's 2nd and 3rd round picks for a soon to be 33 year old linebacker on the downside of his career is the best way to go about building a team, then good luck with all that.

In the end, if neither the Rams nor the Bills win the SB this year, I have a pretty good idea which one will be in better shape to win it next year....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Your absolutely correct 🤦‍♂️ - I mean the Bills haven’t been flogged for trading a draft pick like Wyatt Teller - they just hold on to these guys.

They didn’t recognize and improve on a draft pick like Ray Ray McCloud by getting a guy like McKenzie and cutting their draft pick.

They didn’t recognize issues with FAs like Benjamin, Spain, and a ton of others and move on.

Nope they are the only team that values consistency, allowing their draft picks time to grow, having veteran leadership at positions, and trying to balance team and financial goals to have long term success.

Yep - if they don’t win the SB this year - the clock is going on this regime- I mean the coach would be practically dead man walking despite his newly signed contract.  I mean let’s ignore what they have done and fire them because they didn’t win it all because they didn’t make some stupid hypothetical trade for a non-existent Guard at the trade deadline.

Bottom line is a window is only open so long - I mean NE didn’t just go on a 20 year run and GB hasn’t been in a window for nearly that long, Pittsburgh and Baltimore haven’t been yearly playoff teams for most of the 2000s, NO with Drew Brees wasn’t a nearly annual lock for wins, Seattle before that,  etc.  Most of these teams with long, long windows seem to have one thing in common - they do not make stupid deadline deals that hurt the team and remove future talent.

Basically you would have preferred the KC approach to go out and overspend on an OLine that then is no better than their OLine that failed last year, but has hurt them more financially.  

NewsFlash - every team except one falls short every year.  Sometimes the best team wins - sometimes the underdog wins.  Sometimes trades help and make a difference and many times they don’t.  It is just plain stupid to think that a team with the 2 year success the Bills have had and the way the team plays together and for each other and the fact that they are a top offensive and defensive team and you think they should blow it up because Beane worked to keep a 13-3 team together and added talent - all while re-signing many players, but the fact that he didn’t make a hypothetical trade means we should give up.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Atlanta Braves prove your point.

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

This is not even remotely correct.  

It depends upon when you define their “Mortgaging the future”, but I believe it started in 2016 with the huge trade up for Goff.

They reached their peak in 2018 where they were 1st in their division and lost in the SuperBowl.

2019 - the lack of depth cost them badly and they finished 3rd in the division and missed the playoffs.

Last year they finished second and won 1 playoff game.

This year they are still not leading their division as they lost to Arizona head to head.

They are a contender this year for the first time since the SuperBowl year in 2018 and that was due to the QB trade - which they needed to do because of how much they paid and traded to get Goff.  

We will see if the Miller trade does anything other than cost them long term because in Denver he was no longer even a fraction of the player he was several years ago.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is not even remotely correct.  

It depends upon when you define their “Mortgaging the future”, but I believe it started in 2016 with the huge trade up for Goff.

They reached their peak in 2018 where they were 1st in their division and lost in the SuperBowl.

2019 - the lack of depth cost them badly and they finished 3rd in the division and missed the playoffs.

Last year they finished second and won 1 playoff game.

This year they are still not leading their division as they lost to Arizona head to head.

They are a contender this year for the first time since the SuperBowl year in 2018 and that was due to the QB trade - which they needed to do because of how much they paid and traded to get Goff.  

We will see if the Miller trade does anything other than cost them long term because in Denver he was no longer even a fraction of the player he was several years ago.

Since McVay has been there, they are 50-22. How many teams have had a better record over that time period?

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Since McVay has been there, they are 50-22. How many teams have had a better record over that time period?

I thought this was about winning the Super Bowl? Nice try....

But, playing your game, since the beginning of 2019:

Bills are 30-14 overall (2-2 in the playoffs)

Rams are 27-15 overall (1-1 in the playoffs)

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

We may very well win one this year. The point is, I can name plenty of teams that have won Super Bowls by sensibly building their teams. How many SB winning teams can you name that have given virtually an entire draft away to "win now?"

But hey, if you think giving up next year's 2nd and 3rd round picks for a soon to be 33 year old linebacker on the downside of his career is the best way to go about building a team, then good luck with all that.

In the end, if neither the Rams nor the Bills win the SB this year, I have a pretty good idea which one will be in better shape to win it next year....

There are definitely many ways to skin a cat. Philly comes to mind as a team that put all their chips in to win a Super Bowl and crashed back down to earth.

The point is, we’ve been waiting for the Rams collapse for 5 years now. You cannot argue that they haven’t been a contender for the last 5. Maybe 3 years from now they suck and implode. But their strategy is absolutely working.

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I thought this was about winning the Super Bowl? Nice try....

Only one team wins the Super Bowl every year. Do you think the Bills are failures if we lose in the Super Bowl this year?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How many times have they made the playoffs under McVay - compare that to our regime.

They both have made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years.  McVay is 3 and 3 and McDermott is 2 and 3 in the playoffs. 

The Rams have a better record, but also did not play in the SuperBowls winner division like the Bills did.

Overall - I would say the 2 teams are very similar and they have a different approach.  Neither has won a SuperBowl - so right now we will see which approach works best short term and long term.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FireChans said:

There are definitely many ways to skin a cat. Philly comes to mind as a team that put all their chips in to win a Super Bowl and crashed back down to earth.

The point is, we’ve been waiting for the Rams collapse for 5 years now. You cannot argue that they haven’t been a contender for the last 5. Maybe 3 years from now they suck and implode. But their strategy is absolutely working.

Look, this may be the way of the future, to give away next year's draft to build your team this year - and then repeat each year. I don't know. It could possibly work.

My point with the Rams is that they built a pretty good team 2016-2018 through the draft and a couple good players through trades that didn't leave their draft cupboard bare. It has been since the beginning of last year that they have really gone all in on the trade strategy (to the point they have virtually nothing in the way of quality draft picks next year) with Stafford, Ramsey, Miller, etc. So, it is really the next couple of years, for me, to see the real results of that "all in" strategy.

If they win the SB this year, then their strategy paid off, at least short term. Then maybe this next off-season they trade what is left of their 2023 draft picks for the players to stay at the top. We can only wait to see...

Who knows, maybe that is the way of the future NFL. I personally think it will end up with disastrous consequences more often than not. But I certainly could be wrong.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

In other words… it is remotely correct.😅

The Rams went to the SB, missed the playoffs in 2019, lost in the divisional game last year, and are now 7-1 with a much better QB and look like the best team in the NFC…. I’m not advocating the Bills adopt the Rams strategy but to say it hasn’t had success is just plain wrong. 

if you consider the Rams in contention every year having missed the playoffs 1 of the last 2 years - then the Bills have also been in contention every year - so why are you complaining.  The Bills have a better 2 year record and more playoff wins than the Rams the last 2 years - so why is what they did right and the Bills wrong.

So no it was not correct.  They did not improve each year and were not in contention every year.

Additionally - you want to know what would have made the Rams significantly better and probably would have won them a SuperBowl - instead of letting Brady sign in TB - the Rams - without mortgaging the future - could of signed him as a FA.  They needed to improve on Goff and Brady wanted to go to the West Coast (SF in particular, but LA would of worked).

They could of signed Brady and used Goff to get picks or a player and taken a shot, but instead they went with Goff and watched TB win it all.  

I don’t think that this is their year either - Arizona, GB, and TB are all just as good and have futures to get better.  

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t get why fans think sending a high round pick and taking on a player with a high salary translates to “mortgaging the future”…. You said it yourself, the Bills have Josh Allen, there is no need to get conservative with cap space and draft picks for a potential player to get the team over the hump…. But obviously Beane disagrees. Hope it doesn’t cost them a SB victory. 

I am not opposed to trades or giving up draft capital to acquire a player that can make the team better immediately - as long as it makes sense. Stefon Diggs is a case in point. 1st round proven talent for a 1st round pick. Beane didn't overpay and it worked for the team both short term and long term. That is not what I mean by mortgaging the future. I am talking about trades that really do have adverse affects down the road for a "win now" mentality - like giving up 2nd and 3rd round picks for a 32 year old linebacker in Miller who is clearly not anywhere near what he once was. You might be ok with that. I am not. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

If they win the SB, their strategy paid off. Period. Regardless of the long term…. The goal is a SB victory…. There are no rewards for building a consistently good team but consistently coming up short of winning it all…. See the early 90s Bills.

Yes, they would achieve their strategy of a SB win. But if they don't win the SB, then they won't have achieved it and they are in worse shape because of it. 

But there are rewards for building a consistently good team. You are in a position far more often to achieve a SB win, particularly if you have an elite QB. Also, as a fan, would you rather be watching the Bills from 1988-1999 that made the playoffs 10 times even though they didn't win the SB, or the team from 2000-2016. 

My guess is that if the Bills had won the SB in 1999 and then had the same awful teams in the years from 2000-2016, you would have been just as miserable in that stretch as you were without the SB win.

Edited by billsfan1959

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.