NFL Trade Deadline: The Bills Trade Rumors Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If they win the SB, their strategy paid off. Period. Regardless of the long term…. The goal is a SB victory…. There are no rewards for building a consistently good team but consistently coming up short of winning it all…. See the early 90s Bills.

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do you think I’m complaining? Billsfan1959 suggested the Rams strategy hasn’t been successful when it clearly has…. And then I said I’m not advocating the Bills adopt that same strategy. I’m aware the Bills strategy has brought them a ton of success. 

Their strategy is to go all in to win the SB now. That's the strategy I was arguing against. In one post you say it will be successful IF they win a SB and the next post you say it has already been successful.

Which is it?

Edited by billsfan1959

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

This is a discussion better for the offseason and leading up to the draft but I googled top OL for the 2022 draft. According to the "experts" these were some of the names that came up.

T-Evan Neal Alabama

C-Tyler Linderbaum Iowa

T-Kenyon Green Texas A&M

G-Ikem Ekwonu NC State

T-Daniel Faalele Minnesota

Anyone have any opinions on some of these players and could they fall to the Bills when they pick

According to BR, the top 4 listed are mocked to go in the top 20. Neal, Linderbaum, Ekwonu in the top 10

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

According to BR, the top 4 listed are mocked to go in the top 20. Neal, Linderbaum, Ekwonu in the top 10

So basically the Bills have no shot to get them unless Beane trades up. If the Bills stay pat I wonder who the best OL on the board will still be available. Obviously we won't know until April but the Bills need to address the OL no matter how the season plays out.

11 hours ago, Beerball said:

Tampa has won one. & Brady is as always playing for far less than market value.  Let me know when that's the case w Allen.

Rams have won zero, but if they do win they're proving my point. They have mortgaged the future to win now.

Chiefs have won one (on Mahomes first contract) and they are currently struggling to remain above .500.

You're not very good at this game.

Chiefs lost in the SB last year genius, The Rams have been a very good team only limited by the QB position (which now looks to be fixed), Tampa Bay realizes they have a small window and have mortgaged the future to win with Brady.  The Seahawks, Broncos and Saints all won the SB by mortgaging the future.  You’re completely wrong to say that the mortgaging the future technique has not been a successful strategy in the NFL.  There is only one team in the history of the NFL that has remained at the peak for decade and that’s been the 2001 - 2018 NE Patriots.  

just a thought.

Considering the talk of Trubisky possibly being traded.  I believe Henry's injury this past Sunday had a significant impact on talks inside the building.  The what-if's and if we had to have a backup QB step in, who would we rather have in there,  Mitch or our other options.

Which possibly lead to Beane asking for a lot for our backup QB. Like, yeah we are always listening but if you want us to separate from our safety net then you will have to pay the price for it.

Like i said, just a thought 

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Chiefs lost in the SB last year genius, The Rams have been a very good team only limited by the QB position (which now looks to be fixed), Tampa Bay realizes they have a small window and have mortgaged the future to win with Brady.  The Seahawks, Broncos and Saints all won the SB by mortgaging the future.  You’re completely wrong to say that the mortgaging the future technique has not been a successful strategy in the NFL.  There is only one team in the history of the NFL that has remained at the peak for decade and that’s been the 2001 - 2018 NE Patriots.  

I'm for mortgaging the future. I think Beane should have gone all in. 

As for Tampa, Brady still is not being paid near what he deserves. Know why? He values championships over the size of his contract.  The Bills don't have that luxury, hence, all in.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think they’ve proven the strategy can work already… they’ve been consistent winner for 3 of the past 4 years and have as good a shot as anyone to win it this year…. I think that window will dwindle after next season significantly but I could be wrong and if they win a SB within that time frame then nobody will care… The Bills look to have given themselves a larger window and better opportunity for longer term success but it’s certainly not definite(nothing is in this league) and that really depends on if they are successful in the draft or not… and they’ll have some decisions to make/roster turnover with several significant older veterans contracts expiring the next couple years.

Everyone wants to use the Rams as an example of the all in strategy working since 2016. The fact is, they didn't really go all in on the strategy until last year. Starting in 2016, they kept trading first round picks; however, they still had decent draft capital every year. In 2017 they had 8 picks (5 in rds 2-4), in 2018 they had 11 picks (9 in rds 3-6), in 2019 they had 8 picks (5 in rds 2-4), in 2020 they had 9 picks (5 in rds 2-4), and this year they had 9 picks (5 in rds 2-4). They did a good job of drafting to go with those select players they were trading for.

However, since late in 2019, between Ramsey, Stafford, Miller, Michel, etc., they have left themselves with a 6th and two 7th round picks next year (as well as little in the way of salary cap). So, their future wasn't really mortgaged until now. IMO, this is the year to see if their srategy works.

Like I previously said, I am not opposed to spending a future high round pick for a proven talent that is commensurate with the pick given up and works for the team for more than a one year rental. I would have been thrilled if Beane could have found a player to make the team even better. The trade for Stefon Diggs is a perfect example. I supported it 100%. That is what the Rams were doing early on. What I am opposed to is overpaying and engaging in transactions that do not help the team for more than the short-term - or actually hurt them long-term.

I will say, I am interested to see what the Rams are going to do over the next couple of years. They may actually weather the storm on the horizon because the core of the team is still young. So, they could be just as good next year with the same roster and the lack of draft picks may not hurt them.

Edited by billsfan1959

13 hours ago, Beerball said:

I'm for mortgaging the future. I think Beane should have gone all in. 

As for Tampa, Brady still is not being paid near what he deserves. Know why? He values championships over the size of his contract.  The Bills don't have that luxury, hence, all in.

Last year the Chargers had a terrible OL and now they have one of the best in the league. Teams can turn their OL fortunes around in 1 year. It doesn't take a 2-3 process. Beane will have to hit it big in FA/draft this spring. Identify the 3 worst o-lineman and replace them. Without some running game we're not winning a SB.

Rams are NOT an example of going all in working.  They have zero Super Bowls and only reached one where they scored 3 points and they got to that SB BEFORE they decided to mortgage their future.

“Working” means accomplishing the goal set forth in the strategy.  Rams not only haven’t accomplished their goal under this all in strategy, they haven’t even had a chance to as they have not even reached the SB again since mortgaging their future to get there again.  

They are literally an example of it not working, at least not yet.  They built that team up to be a contender and reached a SB without going all in.  Then they went all in and have not even reached the same success they had yet BEFORE going all in.  

Now, they could win it this year, but if anyone really watches the Rams games, their defense isn’t a s good as people think (hence them making a trade for Von Miller to try and bolster it), and the offense and Stafford can be rattled still.

They are far from a lock to even make the SB, let alone win it, in a tough NFC with Cowboys, Packers, Cardinals, and of course the defending champion Bucs.  

This year is their best shot at it, but it won’t be an easy path to get there and if they don’t do it this year, the all in strategy is a confirmed failure and they will start seeing that window close quickly on that roster.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Last year the Chargers had a terrible OL and now they have one of the best in the league. Teams can turn their OL fortunes around in 1 year. It doesn't take a 2-3 process. Beane will have to hit it big in FA/draft this spring. Identify the 3 worst o-lineman and replace them. Without some running game we're not winning a SB.

Chargers aren't paying real money for their QB; that means flexibility. 

20 hours ago, Weatherman said:

The Chiefs are and replaced their entire OL in FA and the draft.  It can be done. 

You just aren't paying attention. The Chiefs are in danger of not making the playoffs. They are the current poster child for winning on your QB's initial contract.  Still a dangerous team, let's talk in 12 months.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.