NFL Trade Deadline: The Bills Trade Rumors Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

23 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'll admit it I'm disappointed.  I feel like we're strong enough everywhere except the Oline to win it. This seasons SB also seems like its there for the taking. Hope I'm wrong, but I have visions of a playoff loss with JA running for his life and no rushing attack. Sorry that's not what I want either. Hope Beane proves me wrong. Its his job to build a SB winner and it's not just the trade deadline today either. Our line being good enough is a mirage IMO and today felt like the last chance to improve it. So shoot me.

I think this regime's biggest flaw is they overvalue the talent they have and don't want to concede to failure when it comes to their draft picks and FA signings. Because if they did they certainly wouldn't have kept Addison/Butler and could have used that money elsewhere in the offseason.

At the end of the day it's not shocking this team didn't make a trade today because most other teams in the league didn't either, but anything short of a championship this season in Buffalo has to be considered a failure and I think that's when the clock starts ticking on this regime in terms of their long term viability. And sure some will laugh and say this is crazy but this is a results driven league and many other franchise have cut the cord on GM's and HC's that have been successful in the regular season and getting teams to the playoffs consistently, but failing to deliver in the postseason.

Bottom line the window is only open for so long in this league and I still don't feel this team is nearly as good as some fans and media believe, but it all goes back to the offseason approach that Beane decided to take in terms of keeping the same exact team intact that fell short last year for the most part. And it will likely be the same reasons this team falls short yet again come next january.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Not a trade, but the Rams just cut Desean Jackson...any chance we kick the tires on him?

He's still got top end speed and might be good depth especially if our injury luck runs out at some stage. 

I feel like with the Ruggs situation, Jackson should be a Raider by breakfast.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Just out of curiosity, what o-lineman would Beane have gotten in a trade today that would put the team over the top in terms of winning a SB? What o-lineman of that caliber ever is acquired in an in-season trade?

Beane has built this team from a doormat to a team that has won 20 of the last 26 games they've played, got to the AFC Championship game last year, are currently tied for the 2nd best record in the AFC, 1st in pts scored per game, and 1st in pts against per game. I'd say he has done a pretty damn good job of building this team toward a SB winner. There isn't a team in the NFL, including past SB winners that didn't have issues somewhere on their team. The Bills aren't perfect, but they are currently capable of beating any team they play. That pretty much makes them a SB contender.

You're missing my point, It's not that there was something specific I wanted done. I've suspected all year long the OL isn't good enough, and this was just hoping Beane could pull a rabbit out of his hat.  I could be wrong and the OL plays great and we win the SB. Or it could be that he (we) come up short again. Unlike you I'm not satisfied with just being good for 15 years.

40 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yes. No more “winning is hard.” Just win it. Just win. Don’t care what we have to do it. If it means making trades so be it, if it means trading up in the draft, so be it. If it means hiring a new OC, so be it. It’s time, it’s time to win a super bowl. 

This attitude seems to be, "Don't just stand there, do something!!!!" as if making any sort of trade or acquisition at all is an improvement. It also assumes that the moves that need to be made are obvious, and possible.

The Bills could have broken the bank and forced themselves to get rid of other players in order to sign JJ Watt for this season. And he's done seven games into the season. I am so glad that Beane doesn't do his job as if his hair is on fire. That's not the way to win a Super Bowl. 

I remember when the Dolphins in the mid 90s spent crazy money to assemble a team of first round draft choices. Everybody was talking about how they had moe talent than anybody in the league. Where did they go--exactly nowhere. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

You're missing my point, It's not that there was something specific I wanted done. I've suspected all year long the OL isn't good enough, and this was just hoping Beane could pull a rabbit out of his hat.  I could be wrong and the OL plays great and we win the SB. Or it could be that he (we) come up short again. Unlike you I'm not satisfied with just being good for 15 years.

I got your point. I just don't think it was ever a realistic expectation that Beane was going to be able to find an elite o-lineman without giving up far more than he would be willing to give - if he could even find a team willing to give up an elite lineman.

And don't get me wrong. I absolutely would love a championship. I have been a die hard fan for 55 years. However, I am not a fan of mortgaging the future to do it. It rarely works and typically ends up having more negative than positive long-term consequences.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

He and fans who cheer on no trades will regret this later come playoff time,  not enough to get it done again.  Maybe he can use a second rounder on another guard like Cody Ford

Don’t be Upsetty, have some spaghetti 🍝 🍷 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I might be in the minority; however, I don't ever want to see Beane mortgage the future for the present day. I would rather have the next 15 years of solid, competitive, playoff caliber football with no SB wins, than mortgage the future for a 1-2 year SB run (and maybe a win) and then drift off into mediocrity - again.

Sorry, I just can't understand this.  In the immortal words of Herm Edwards and all that stuff.  If 1959 refers to the year of your birth then you're just a bit younger than I am. I'm sure you're in better shape than I am, but if it doesn't happen with this core group then the chances of me seeing them win it all diminishes.

Once your QB takes a bite of the 2nd contract apple things get much, much more difficult on a team.  Look around the league and tell me I'm wrong.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you tell us about some of those recent in-season trade-deadline moves for offensive guards?

He can’t, because it doesn’t happen, and he knows it, no one trades a starting level O lineman, especially with the notable lack of truly good O line league wide. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This team is taking a gamble with this offensive line, it’s been poor all season, and I’m to believe that nothing was available?

Why would you believe otherwise? Good interior o-linemen do not get traded. Even teams in rebuild mode need good guards. Most good players that get traded, it's because they don't fit into a new regime or they have become disgruntled with the team and requested a trade.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you tell us about some of those recent in-season trade-deadline moves for offensive guards?

I can tell you about an edge rusher with something still in the tank. Things happen. 

I realize the people don't want to acknowledge this, but that window is swinging in OP.

3 hours ago, teef said:

no trade anger!

it's not quite as good as the game day thread anger, but it works on a tuesday.

I’m starting to think you’re  okay, 👍 your skills in sarcasm are unrivaled 😂

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I get that you are on a crusade right now, but you don't make any sense.

What are you even talking about? At some point we have to get out and get talent? Really? What has been Beane doing past 4 years?

You (as well as rest of us) have absolutely no idea if there was any OL available for reasonable price and you also have absolutely no idea if that is what can potentially change outcome of SB.

not only did he not make any sense, but he confused "battery ram" with battering ram

we all the want the same thing - for the Bills to win the SB - but some on this thread act like Beane just needs to snap his fingers harder in order to get "a deal" done...

Edited by BuffaninSarasota
more content
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I got your point. I just don't think it was ever a realistic expectation that Beane was going to be able to find an elite o-lineman without giving up far more than he would be willing to give - if he could even find a team willing to give up an elite lineman.

And don't get me wrong. I absolutely would love a championship. I have been a die hard fan for 55 years. However, I am not a fan of mortgaging the future to do it. It rarely works and typically ends up having more negative than positive long-term consequences.  

The Rams are a case study in how mortgaging the future isn’t real.

1 hour ago, Beerball said:

Sorry, I just can't understand this.  In the immortal words of Herm Edwards and all that stuff.  If 1959 refers to the year of your birth then you're just a bit younger than I am. I'm sure you're in better shape than I am, but if it doesn't happen with this core group then the chances of me seeing them win it all diminishes.

Once your QB takes a bite of the 2nd contract apple things get much, much more difficult on a team.  Look around the league and tell me I'm wrong.

Yep, it does refer to the year of my birth and I have waited a very long time to see the Bills (and the Sabres as well) win a championship. And we have both lived through far more bad years with this team than good ones. I used to feel I would be happy and fulfilled if I could experience just one championship season. But it changed over the years. Particularly when my son, who wasn't quite old enough to understand the superbowl years spent the vast majority of his years as a real fan of this team watching year after year of awful football. It is wonderful to me to be able to see him enjoy what this team has become again. It would be nice to experience that championship, but, not at the expense of mortgaging the future. I'd like my son to continue watching playoff caliber football for awhile.

I happen to think as long as Allen is the QB of the Bills, they will have that chance at a championship as long as they keep a decent team around him. That is the best part of having a great QB. 

I don't necessarily think you are wrong in what you want or how you think it should be achieved. There was a time I felt exactly the same way. I just don't anymore.

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Rams are a case study in how mortgaging the future isn’t real.

Actually, I think that is yet to be determined.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yep, it does refer to the year of my birth and I have waited a very long time to see the Bills (and the Sabres as well) win a championship. And we have both lived through far more bad years with this team than good ones. I used to feel I would be happy and fulfilled if I could experience just one championship season. But it changed over the years. Particularly when my son, who wasn't quite old enough to understand the superbowl years spent the vast majority of his years as a real fan of this team watching year after year of awful football. It is wonderful to me to be able to see him enjoy what this team has become again. It would be nice to experience that championship, but, not at the expense of mortgaging the future. I'd like my son to continue watching playoff caliber football for awhile.

I happen to think as long as Allen is the QB of the Bills, they will have that chance at a championship as long as they keep a decent team around him. That is the best part of having a great QB. 

I don't necessarily think you are wrong in what you want or how you think it should be achieved. There was a time I felt exactly the same way. I just don't anymore.

Actually, I think that is yet to be determined.

Huh? The Rams have consistently been a contender in the NFL since adopting their “mortgaging the future every year” strategy. And they’ve gotten even better this year.

Every year we hear “they have no depth, they are crazy!” And every year, that’s wrong.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

Why spend a 2nd round draft pick on a proven, high quality guard like Norwell, when you can just draft the next Cody Ford. 

Kidding. Kinda. I’ll trust Beane knows what he’s doing, despite what appears to be a glaring weakness in the interior OL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.