OBJ drama in Cleveland

YoloinOhio

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

My initial thought is he's going to KC.  But since KC's offense is struggling and I would think he would be the 3rd option behind Kelce and Hill....he wouldn't be interested.  He's a me guy and wants his targets.

McDermott I don't think would take him.

Maybe AZ?  Cincy?

Taking OBJ would be about the dumbest move the Bills could make right now.  It is not as if we have a shortage of Quality receivers.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's subject to waivers?  If so, yeah, no one's claiming him.  So no reason for them to cut him.

After the trade deadline everyone is subjected to waivers if released. Before the trade deadline vested veterans (four accrued seasons) are not subjected to waivers. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My initial thought is he's going to KC.  But since KC's offense is struggling and I would think he would be the 3rd option behind Kelce and Hill....he wouldn't be interested.  He's a me guy and wants his targets.

McDermott I don't think would take him.

Maybe AZ?  Cincy?

Well, as of Tues, Vegas WR room is short of a player

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So now I'm confused, has OBJ been suspended for conduct by the Browns then?

I don’t believe so - I believe that the tweet you posted was speculation on how the Browns can hold on to him for about 4 weeks to allow the money owed to him to become less.

At this point - all I have heard is the Coach and GM both basically say he is not with the team - they have excused him from practice.  The coach did make it sound like he will not play with the Browns again.

Everything else is people speculating that he will be cut (I doubt it at this point), that he will be suspended and then cut to reduce what another team has to pay to make it more likely he gets claimed, or that the Browns will just keep him inactive on the roster (my guess) and then try to trade him after the season and get compensation.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t believe so - I believe that the tweet you posted was speculation on how the Browns can hold on to him for about 4 weeks to allow the money owed to him to become less.

At this point - all I have heard is the Coach and GM both basically say he is not with the team - they have excused him from practice.  The coach did make it sound like he will not play with the Browns again.

Everything else is people speculating that he will be cut (I doubt it at this point), that he will be suspended and then cut to reduce what another team has to pay to make it more likely he gets claimed, or that the Browns will just keep him inactive on the roster (my guess) and then try to trade him after the season and get compensation.

OK, but why has the team taken this step?  To inactivate a player they're compensating at the rate of $0.75M a game must have some strong cause.

You could be right, but to keep a player on the roster but inactive on a team that's been nailed some by the injury bug seems non-competitive.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, but why has the team taken this step?  To inactivate a player they're compensating at the rate of $0.75M a game must have some strong cause.

You could be right, but to keep a player on the roster but inactive on a team that's been nailed some by the injury bug seems non-competitive.

The team took the step because the OBJ camp - including his father - has basically thrown the Browns and Mayfield under the bus.  They have attacked Mayfield and the Browns are choosing to have Mayfields back - which is a better long term view.

It sounds like in discussion- OBJ basically is done with the Browns - the Browns tried to trade him - most notably to NO, but when that fell through- OBJs camp went the more toxic route of vocally attacking the QB and current face of the Browns.  

My guess since we know the GM and Beckham’s agent have been in contact since before the trade deadline- is that the agent has made it clear that Odell is not playing with Mayfield any longer - make a trade or cut my guy free.

The Browns still have Beckham under contract and have paid the majority of the guaranteed money - so they may feel they can get compensation- maybe a trade with NO for disgruntled WRs or something of value, but to do that they now have to wait until the next off season.  

The Browns are also in the terrible position of having playoff expectations, but being in competition against several teams that might want WR help.  If they just cut him - once Odell clears waivers or if teams may claim him - you have a chance that KC, Pittsburgh, Indy, NE, Cincinnati, Baltimore, or any other AFC team competing for the last spots could get him and push you out - a terrible look.

The best thing would be to wait and continue as you did before the deadline, but if Beckham is refusing to play with Mayfield - you have limited choices - you can waive/cut him and risk it.  You can suspend him for four games and have to deal with that drama - see TO in the driveway doing sit-ups complaining about the Eagles. If you suspend him - you have to re-visit the choices again in 4 weeks and you will most likely have a grievance situation in the off season.  The other option is to leave him on your active roster, but keep him away.  You are paying him and at a disadvantage, but it limits exposure.  

It all comes down to any agreements the GM and agent come up with - if they can and I think it starts with them wanting him away from the team until a solution is forthcoming.

Edited by Rochesterfan

37 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The team took the step because the OBJ camp - including his father - has basically thrown the Browns and Mayfield under the bus.  They have attacked Mayfield and the Browns are choosing to have Mayfields back - which is a better long term view.

It sounds like in discussion- OBJ basically is done with the Browns - the Browns tried to trade him - most notably to NO, but when that fell through- OBJs camp went the more toxic route of vocally attacking the QB and current face of the Browns.  

My guess since we know the GM and Beckham’s agent have been in contact since before the trade deadline- is that the agent has made it clear that Odell is not playing with Mayfield any longer - make a trade or cut my guy free.

So fundamentally you think Odell's agent told them "bench my guy, he's not playing with Mayfield any more"?

As far as OBJ's "camp" (what does that mean?) or "father", I would find it troubling to hold OBJ responsible for their actions and impact his career because of them.  Presumably OBJ can influence them, but ultimately he can not control them.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So fundamentally you think Odell's agent told them "bench my guy, he's not playing with Mayfield any more"?

As far as OBJ's "camp" (what does that mean?) or "father", I would find it troubling to hold OBJ responsible for their actions and impact his career because of them.  Presumably OBJ can influence them, but ultimately he can not control them.

No - I think the agent said Trade or cut him - benching him was the Browns choice when they couldn’t trade him.

Listening to Mayfield - I think they know who released the tweets using Odell’s Dads account.  It sounds like Mayfield and Beckham have not really been talking and Mayfield stated he has not talked to Odell since “his” tweet.

We will see, but he was excused again today - so it was not an isolated instance.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Taking OBJ would be about the dumbest move the Bills could make right now.  It is not as if we have a shortage of Quality receivers.

I would’ve thought the same when the Bills went after AB. He was a total douche, but Beane went after him anyways 

12 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

OBJ is a terrible teammate. Browns, while not as good as they thought, are supposedly a contender and he is tearing up the locker room with this garbage. 

Good for us, but a terrible look for OBJ. Not everyone gets to play for the red, white, and blue. Sorry man.... 

So was TO and Randy Moss, at least everyone thought 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

True but we have a more solid WR crew now versus then

I’m not advocating for the Bills to acquire OBJ, but he would immediately upgrade our return game, punt/kick, and just imagine defenses trying to cover Diggs/Beasley/Sands/OBJ. Personally, I think OBJ problem is that he wants to be known as a great player because he has the talent. In NY and Cleveland, he played with above average/average QBs. Imagine him with Josh/Rodgers/Mahomes 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I would’ve thought the same when the Bills went after AB. He was a total douche, but Beane went after him anyways 

He looked into him but wasn't willing to pay him any new money, in case his douchiness adversely affected the team.  So he didn't make the trade.  

What a schmuck this dude is…every time I see his name I’m reminded of his dumba$$ getting smacked by the kicking net during a Giants game where he had numerous tantrums. 

I read some stuff a while back that theorized the dude is done-zo because of the injuries. I can’t recall what he’s had going on and I’m too lazy to Google but the person who commented this stuff made some examples of how he’s seemed to lose a step and just isn’t as effective at getting open as he once was. 

Situations like this just keep me super grateful that we have Team McBeane running the show. Team doesn’t have any enormous egos or head cases or “me first and my stats!” guys. Seems like the players genuinely care for one another and want everyone to succeed at the highest level. That was something those old 90s teams always said was a huge part of their success, that they were playing for the guy next to them and never wanted to let down their teammates. Same vibe with this group. I love it when a depth player gets out there and makes a big play and the Bills sideline goes ballistic. It’s such a relief they don’t have to deal with crap like this. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.