A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game (Part II), in no particular order

Virgil

Somewhere between the drought and today, we all got a little spoiled.  On some level, it's natural when you have the 2nd highest paid QB in the league and made it to the AFC Championship game last year.  But as we saw this week, where the Jets beat the Bengals and the Chargers lost to the Patriots, every week presents new challenges which can be amplified within your division.  Even on a seven game winning streak against the Dolphins, they've played us tough enough to where we needed to recover onside kicks to seal the game on multiple occasions.  While we want 40-0 games every week, the other team gets paid too.  While the first half of the game wasn't great, I am going to choose and appreciate that we figured it out at half and scored on our last 4 drives to put the Dolphins away, yet again.

1 - Beasley - I've been on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it train," questioning the targeting of Sanders so much and rushing attack dedication.  We beat teams down last year with Diggs, Beasley, and Davis, but seem to want to abandon that success.  However, I have to remind myself that, like with the Chiefs, the NFL will adapt to those in the spotlight and we didn't win the Super Bowl last year.  Change needs to happen if we are going to make that next step.  Now that I've wasted so many words not even talking about Beasley, let me bring it back to our offensive MVP of this game.  After a terrible first half, Allen and the offense switched back to our old ways, which is feed Beasley all over the field until the rest of the defense starts to adjust.  And, if they don't adjust, keep feeding Beasley.  With a dominating 100+ yard receiving effort, Beasley was the go to guy on all downs and really helped the entire offense get into a groove.  While he didn't find the endzone, he was the difference maker on the field.

2 - Oliver - Like many, I've been slow to warm up to Ed, but have really seen a turnaround from him this season.  I don't know that he's performed at a top 10 pick talent, but the improvement has been there.  Even with that, it makes no sense why the Dolphins didn't even try to block him on a few plays.  Oliver was an absolute force in this game and was chasing Tua all over the field.  Speaking of Tua, who I don't want to give his own though, have you ever seen a more lucky QB who repeatedly threw up prayers off his back foot and had them completed?  There were at least 3 plays where most QB's would get intercepted for trying that crap, but he kept getting away with it.  That first half could have been a lot worse for the Dolphins had those passes gone the other way.

3 - Tre - While Oliver was strong, Tre gets the defensive MVP for me.  While Parker had a good game, the majority of his catches came from the slot, which still blows my mind why more NFL teams don't adjust to that motion set.  Regardless, Tre not only was solid in coverage, he was laying some hits to.  I don't know what got him so fired up, but this might have been the most dominant game I've seen by him this season in both coverage and as a tackler.

4 - You can spend your time alone re-digesting past regrets
Or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who can't forgive yourself
Makes much more sense to live in the present tense

5 - Offensive Line - The Dolphins clearly had a defensive strategy for the Bills, and it revolved around bunching 4 defensive lineman between the tackles.  For the most part, it worked in getting Josh to leave the pocket or throw quickly, but the offensive line overall seemed to have a poor day.  Interestingly enough, even with Spencer out, Cody Ford still didn't get the start, leading many and myself to believe that his days in Buffalo are over once that contract expires or any trade offer comes along.  Josh didn't look comfortable in the pocket and you saw him visibly upset on the sidelines, which is very rare to see (but awesome).  As we all know, we are going to face strong front 4 teams in the playoffs, and this is something we need to get fixed.

6 - With great risk, comes great exposure - Unlike previous weeks, Frazier was sending a 5th blitzer on quite a few plays.  While the pressure got to Tua, he found a way to get the ball out and offset the blitz for most of the first half.  TJ played on the line and ran free from the outside on  most calls.  We scaled back in the second half, and we saw Addison, Groot, and Hughes start to hit home a little more.  I'm not sure why Frazier dialed up the DB blitzes versus the usually effective Milano blitz, but it seemed like this approach backfired a bit.

7 - Allen - First off, garbage time or not, congrats to Josh for tying Cam's rushing record through his 50 games.  When I think about how much of a rushing force Cam was in his first 4 years, it's crazy to think that Josh matched that.  Allen had a rough start to this game and it showed on his face.  I know the weather was good, but it looked like Allen was struggling with his grip and just missing on his throws.  A quick dose of Beasley straightened things out for him and he finished with an overall good stat line.  I will definitely be watching GMFB to see if Allen made the angry runs list after an absolutely punishing run though Miami defenders.  Also, on the first touchdown pass to Gabe, Allen really showed off how strong her was by fighting through defenders before making the pass.  It was really impressive.  However, Josh let his frustration let him try some hero ball and it was almost very costly.  We can't have that Josh.  Trust yourself and your team and don't give up the dumb plays which could have led to an entirely different outcome.

8 - Special Teams - I'm not going to focus on the Haack shank, but I will acknowledge it.  McKenzie also got in his scare on the muffed punt that easily could have been 6 for the Dolphins.  Instead, I'm going to talk about Bass-O-Matic.  While I know he has the leg to make a 57 yarder, I was still surprised McD sent him out to try.  It looked a little rough off his foot and it squeaked in, but good is good.  For a guy who had everyone on the ledge at the beginning of last season, it's awesome to watch this kid keep making kicks.

9 - The Hughes Curse - Maybe the refs know that Hughes tenure with the Bills is coming to the end and they need to find their next victim, but please leave Groot alone.  Can someone tell me how Groot gets his helmet ripped off on a play, but there's not penalty for hands to the face.  There was another flag picked up, that the video replay cleared showed a similar call ignored, and honestly, it looks like the Bills front four were getting manhandled in this game.  I know that every fan cries foul, and I'm not one to normally be that person, but this was a bad game for the refs where "letting them play" gave the Bills a clear disadvantage.

10 - The Bad Guys? - We've been at the bottom of the league and disrespected for so long, that it's strange to think of other teams hating our smugness.  Seeing Allen waiving goodbye to Dolphins defenders caught me in the moment.  I've seen him spin the ball at defenders or flex his arms out, but it usually seemed like him hyped up in the moment.  In this case, I will admit that Josh was taunting.  Granted, there's been some brief fighting between players and Josh was very heated earlier in the game.  After winning 7 in a row, with many of them blowouts, I can see where the Dolphins are starting to feel a certain way about the Bills.  I'm not sure I know how to feel about it.  It's very unfamiliar territory. 

Like the game itself, this review felt a little off.  Anyways, off to the Jaguars, which I will be in attendance at.

Go Bills!!!!

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 11

5 minutes ago, stowellez said:

Nice write up, as always.  I’ll be in Jax too!  Go Bills!

Any parking recommendations? This is my first time. I'm driving to and from Orlando that same day.  Also, tix are stupid expensive for a one win team

38 minutes ago, Virgil said:

In this case, I will admit that Josh was taunting.  Granted, there's been some brief fighting between players and Josh was very heated earlier in the game.  After winning 7 in a row, with many of them blowouts, I can see where the Dolphins are starting to feel a certain way about the Bills.  I'm not sure I know how to feel about it.  It's very unfamiliar territory. 

Like the game itself, this review felt a little off.  Anyways, off to the Jaguars, which I will be in attendance at.

Go Bills!!!!

As always good write-up, Virgil

One comment - the Allen "goodbye" becomes the focal point because everyone can see it. It is likely that there was lot of talking going on during the game by the Dolphins D and Allen waited to react until the game was put away. Problem is that words don't show up in pictures and hence, it is Allen who looks like the bad guy. We dont know what happened on the field during the entire game until that point. I would like to believe that Allen is too classy to do marginally crass things like that without provocation. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Allen was fired up this game and I feel like there is some bad blood forming between these two teams, but after the game he was all smiles and hugged it out with the Dolphins, including Wilkins.

Personally, I like seeing the fire, and if you are going to taunt, that's the time you do it because it really doesn't hurt the team much at that point.

I'm ready to put Hyde out there to receive punts and kicks. I'd rather have a sure-handed receiver with no return than a dynamic returner with muff issues.

• Like (+1) 3

Looked to me like Wilkins was trying to twist Allen's legs and ankles while both were on the ground, and Josh did not take to kindly to it, and taunted him on his way off the field. I didn't like Josh doing that, but I understand why he did it.....Wilkins was being a d-bag probably because he didn't like the fact that the Bills went for 2 on the final play.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Wasn’t a huge fan of the taunting. Could have been a flag. I heard the Dolphins did that to the Bills after the first three and out of the game. EDIT: That makes the whole thing make a bit more sense. 

I would not be shocked if Josh gets a flag in the next few weeks as an “all right settle down” moment from the refs. 

Edited by Mango
Words

At the end of point 9, you meant, “… gave the Dolphins a clear advantage”, right? They were mauling our DL and it was crickets. On the almost-sack of Tua on the first(?) drive on a 3rd & 9, Hughes was getting mugged, his shoulder pads were being dragged/ripped across his chest. We get the early sack there, the first half goes quite different, I believe, if only in field position improvement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Special K said:

Looked to me like Wilkins was trying to twist Allen's legs and ankles while both were on the ground, and Josh did not take to kindly to it, and taunted him on his way off the field. I didn't like Josh doing that, but I understand why he did it.....Wilkins was being a d-bag probably because he didn't like the fact that the Bills went for 2 on the final play.

This.  Not only did Wilkins try to Gator-roll Josh, but you can believe there was some jawing going on as well.  "Bye Felicia!"

Well, @Virgiland @Mango could be right about getting a flag and so forth, but Man!  At that point in the game, how Chickenshit would that be?

• Like (+1) 2

There were a few bad & non calls by the refs this game but the one that got me was when Tua was about to get sacked, he threw it straight to the ground about 5 yds ahead while still between the tackles, not close to the LoS and no eligible receiver around. It should of been intentional grounding but no flag was thrown.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

9 - The Hughes Curse - Maybe the refs know that Hughes tenure with the Bills is coming to the end and they need to find their next victim, but please leave Groot alone.  Can someone tell me how Groot gets his helmet ripped off on a play, but there's not penalty for hands to the face.  There was another flag picked up, that the video replay cleared showed a similar call ignored, and honestly, it looks like the Bills front four were getting manhandled in this game.  I know that every fan cries foul, and I'm not one to normally be that person, but this was a bad game for the refs where "letting them play" gave the Bills a clear disadvantage.

Thanks Virgil, as always great work. And enjoy Florida this weekend. This is a great time of year to be there.

Concerning the Groot play, on the broadcast they did not have a replay of it, and it happened away from the ball so it was hard to see anything. Does anyone have a video of it? I know there has been a lot of angst about it here on TBD, but I wonder if McD or Beane sends a replay and note about it to the league? And if so, do refs ever get fined or called out for obvious misses, or egregiously bad calls? Not sure this was one, but would love to see the replay.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Thanks Virgil, as always great work. And enjoy Florida this weekend. This is a great time of year to be there.

Concerning the Groot play, on the broadcast they did not have a replay of it, and it happened away from the ball so it was hard to see anything. Does anyone have a video of it? I know there has been a lot of angst about it here on TBD, but I wonder if McD or Beane sends a replay and note about it to the league? And if so, do refs ever get fined or called out for obvious misses, or egregiously bad calls? Not sure this was one, but would love to see the replay.

Groot was dehelmeted (Is this a word? It is now!) by the RT #77.  It happens at the 11:50 mark.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I like the taunting. Josh and Wilkins were both going at it. It's a physical and emotional game and you gotta let em air it out a bit unless they're being too disrespectful.

I didn't like the wave good bye at first, but seeing Josh and Wilkins hug after the game was nice to see. 

When will this coaching staff throw Bates into the starting line up? I know he's the back-up to everyone on that oline, but at least give him some reps at OG against the Jaguars and see what he's got. 

Marcus Peters, Baltimore Ravens said in an interview last year that JA17 does more trash talking on the field than anyone else he plays against.  He said in the same interview he was cool with it as trash talking is part of the NFL.   Wilkins and Allen hugged it out after the game.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.