Chris Lindstrom, OG, Falcons, should be the target.

Estro

Most of the guys who might have been possible trade targets seem to line up on the right side. I would have inquired about AJ Cann but he now been injured. When I look at our deficient run blocking a guy who comes to mind is one Wyatt Teller. He plays now on the right side but before Cleveland he was always a left guard. What with Mayfield (and others) having to get paid and Chubb signing a new deal, Teller is not getting an extension,. He’s maybe the top run blocking guard in the league and his pass pro is much improved since he played here. He is going to be a free agent. Too bad the Browns have not totally crapped out yet. Also their remaining schedule is pretty soft. To me he should be a priority FA. I’d welcome him back. We maybe think of him as more a power/man type but the Browns actually run a zone scheme. I think he’d actually be fine next to Morse.

48 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Talented , young inexpensive player … yep makes sense for the Bills to acquire him..

Not sure it makes sense for the other team to trade him though,,,

This sounds an awful lot like a “Highdea” just sayin, 

• Haha (+1) 1

I would instantly trade a first round pick for Lindstrom. He fills both long and short term needs and might be that missing piece both this year and next year. But I just don't see the Falcons parting ways with a young highly productive guard with one more year plus a fifth year option left on his deal. I am going to assume the Falcons will be in the market to draft a QB next season. I think for any young QB you are going to want a good guard in his prime in place. I just don't see it happening even if the Bills were willing to give up a first.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Believe me or don't - there are many many OG in the league who would be worse than Mongo.  Some would be MUCH worse.

Yeah, I was exaggerating obv….. I also said that members of OBD would be better.  Doesn’t mean Mongo doesn’t stink

• Disagree 1

#14 overall pick who looks like the real deal and is under team control via 5th year option for the next 3 years including this one....

Why would they trade him for a 2nd round pick?

They're going to draft a QB after this year and having a good O-Line in place is the #1 priority for a QB's development.

They would never, ever, ever do this.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, I was exaggerating obv….. I also said that members of OBD would be better.  Doesn’t mean Mongo doesn’t stink

He doesn't stink.

Not playing as well as you'd hope, certainly. But stink overstates it.

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Can't we in theory do what Rams just did? Overpay on picks so Jags will eat all his salary this year so we only pay 700k like them?

Not sure if it can be done with his contract and not sure what would his 2022 cap hit be (which is also relevant to us). 13.000.000?

In theory, maybe. 

But Beane greatly values draft picks, and for good reason.

And yes, Norwell would be $13M against the cap next year. Right now on next year's cap we have $15.5M available re: Spotrac. Not a good fit.

The kind of target we'd consider is the type mentioned above, an upgrade from a team looking to rebuild with draft picks, most likely an older guy but also a guy in his middle years who's on a contract that's not onerous. A Daryl Williams type, though we were pretty lucky he was available coming off a bad year. Guys coming off bad years or injuries are more likely to be made available. 

Thing is, guys who are obviously excellent players aren't generally going to be available for terms that Beane would reasonably consider for a tem in our kind of cap shape this year and next. That's the problem. That kind of guy when he becomes available usually has a lot of suitors and so things get bid up, and he costs too on the cap as well.

If we do get somebody I'd guess it will be a journeyman type, but hopefully on the high end of that group.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, LEBills said:

Being a former first rounder, I don’t think we could get him for anything less than that and I don’t think Beane wants to allocate that type of resource towards a guard no matter how bad of an upgrade we need at that position.

They will be picking at no less than 30 th in the draft. What is wrong with a Guard at 30? 

4 hours ago, Estro said:

This guy checks all the boxes as a trade candidate:

- young

- inexpensive 

- has another cheap yr. left after this yr.

- very talented @ a position of need

- the Falcons stink & could perhaps be convinced into selling off assets.

The reason a deal like this doesn't happen is if the Falcobs decide they are going to blow it up this offseason, as they should, they'd probably want to keep good, young OL around.

It would take a big offer, perhaps a 2nd and 4th rounder, which I'm still not sure would be enough to entice the Falcons, but it'd be a big get for the Bills.

Dawkins-Lindstrom-Morse-Williams-Brown

& then in this coming years draft you go get Lindstroms younger brother, Alec, who's supposedly a pretty good C prospect.

Lindstrom plays RG with the Falcons so you'd have to figure out who shifts Ober to LG between he and Williams.  I realize that's not an easy transition, but it'd still be a big upgrade over what we currently have.

Great idea….Because teams love to give away their best young players at discount rates, especially just before the trade deadline….

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

#14 overall pick who looks like the real deal and is under team control via 5th year option for the next 3 years including this one....

Why would they trade him for a 2nd round pick?

They're going to draft a QB after this year and having a good O-Line in place is the #1 priority for a QB's development.

They would never, ever, ever do this.

The only way I could rationalize the Falcons trading him is if the Falcons want ammo to trade up for a QB. If the Bills offer a 2022 1st and 4th along with a 2023 2nd (which is a haul of picks that I would consider giving up) that would put the Falcons in a position to make a better offer to trade up. But even then is a late 1st, a mid-round pick and a future 2nd really that much in terms of trying to trade up to get a QB? I would absolutely be for the Bills giving up multiple premium picks for this player but I just don't see the Falcons wanting to give him up even for a haul. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Is there any info that he’s available? Are we just picking random guys we think fit here cause their team isn’t great? 

First question is no, second question is a yes. We're coming up with ideas that might make sense and throwing em on out there for discussion on a fan board.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He doesn't stink.

Not playing as well as you'd hope, certainly. But stink overstates it.

In theory, maybe. 

But Beane greatly values draft picks, and for good reason.

And yes, Norwell would be $13M against the cap next year. Right now on next year's cap we have $15.5M available re: Spotrac. Not a good fit.

The kind of target we'd consider is the type mentioned above, an upgrade from a team looking to rebuild with draft picks, most likely an older guy but also a guy in his middle years who's on a contract that's not onerous. A Daryl Williams type, though we were pretty lucky he was available coming off a bad year. Guys coming off bad years or injuries are more likely to be made available. 

Thing is, guys who are obviously excellent players aren't generally going to be available for terms that Beane would reasonably consider for a tem in our kind of cap shape this year and next. That's the problem. That kind of guy when he becomes available usually has a lot of suitors and so things get bid up, and he costs too on the cap as well.

If we do get somebody I'd guess it will be a journeyman type, but hopefully on the high end of that group.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. 

He’s a bum and needs to be replaced before 17 gets hurt or we lose in the playoffs. He’s never been a starting caliber OG.  He didn’t deserve to get paid what he did.  Just like I said when we resigned him.   And you said he was worth it.   

Are you happy that he’s one of our starting guards?  Are you happy with his play?  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LEBills said:

Being a former first rounder, I don’t think we could get him for anything less than that and I don’t think Beane wants to allocate that type of resource towards a guard no matter how bad of an upgrade we need at that position.

I doubt the Falcons would part with him, I mean who wants to trade away good young OL?

That said, what do you think the Bills will be drafting this next year? Dollars to donuts, it'll be a guard...if there is one with the value at their pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.