How do you deep down, really feel about this defense?

Royale with Cheese

59 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Tua, Brissett, Heinicke, Davis Mills, washed up Roethlisberger and flailing Mahomes (who has looked like absolute crap in about half of his starts this season).

I think our defense is good, maybe very good, but I don't believe it's elite - which, based on our soft schedule, we won't be able to assess until the Tampa game and then the playoffs.

Play who's on schedule 

Jets just beat Cincy and Tennessee a week prior to our L . Anything can happen.  We're playing professional NFL teams every week.  

Heineke has looked good against a few defenses

Mills too

Ben too

Mahomes too

Maybe our D is just really elite? Which they are..

These easy teams have put up big numbers on many defenses

Defense is excellent but is susceptible to getting pushed around in the run game against physical OLs and struggles to get consistent pressure on QBs when facing premier OLs.  Like most modern NFL defenses, they will give up points to the elite offenses.

The Colts and Tampa games will be big tests.

• Agree 1

Safeties are the best duo in the NFL. CBs are superb (Tre) or very good. And not only that, there is no confusion and they almost never a leave a guy wide open. They are very good against the run too.

Milano is one of the best coverage LB and a damn good blizter. Edmunds and Klein (now that he is used well) are above average, hit and miss. 

Oliver has had some awesome moments. Star had good games. Rousseau and Epenasa made themselves seen a few times. But yeah overall that DL is the weak point, but they do get pressure, and are not trampled in the running game like in the last 10 years. Hopefully with the heavy rotation they are all fresh and non injured come the playoffs. 

Coaching and gameplan seems vey much on point this year, more than before. Top 10 defense but doesn't feel like Top3. But hey, if they prove it, yesssss

On 11/1/2021 at 4:05 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

So right now as it stands, the Bills are #1 in the NFL in total yards, points and turnovers (tied) on defense. 

Am I the only one who doesn't think they are as good as the stats show?

I certainly think this is a good defense but I don't feel they're elite.  Their numbers are elite but I'm not there yet with them.

What about yous guys?

They have the lowest Points allowed and the lowest yards per play allowed…what do people want?

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, TH3 said:

They have the lowest Points allowed and the lowest yards per play allowed…what do people want?

It's because we've played mostly poor teams and QB's thus far. When we have played remotely competent QB's we've lost against those teams.

I'm not saying this defense is trash because they aren't but I think fans are in a for a rude awakening again come playoff time when you see similar performances like what happened against the Titans where we can't get stops or any pressure without blitzing.

• Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It's because we've played mostly poor teams and QB's thus far. When we have played remotely competent QB's we've lost against those teams.

I'm not saying this defense is trash because they aren't but I think fans are in a for a rude awakening again come playoff time when you see similar performances like what happened against the Titans where we can't get stops or any pressure without blitzing.

Are you suggesting the defense was somehow to blame for the Steelers loss?

Edited by GoBills808

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Are you suggesting the defense was somehow to blame for the Steelers loss?

Not necessarily but we are 0-2 against teams currently with a winning record. We've beaten nobody of note (Chiefs included).

Also if you look back on that game even with the miscues and blocked kick we couldn't get a stop and let the Steelers score the decisive points to put the game out of reach by 2 scores.

But even if you want to write the Steelers game of as a fluke, we lost to the Titans primarily because this defense washed gashed by the Titans on 6 straight drives resulting in points going back to the 2nd quarter. There was essentially no pass rush against a QB who  was the most sacked in the league at the time and far from elite.

Again, I just think at the end of the day this defense isn't nearly as good as some folks believe if anything because of the weak schedule we've played thus far and will continue to pad stats on the rest of the way.

• Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Not necessarily but we are 0-2 against teams currently with a winning record. We've beaten nobody of note (Chiefs included).

Also if you look back on that game even with the miscues and blocked kick we couldn't get a stop and let the Steelers score the decisive points to put the game out of reach by 2 scores.

But even if you want to write the Steelers game of as a fluke, we lost to the Titans primarily because this defense washed gashed by the Titans on 6 straight drives resulting in points going back to the 2nd quarter. There was essentially no pass rush against a QB who  was the most sacked in the league at the time and far from elite.

Again, I just think at the end of the day this defense isn't nearly as good as some folks believe if anything because of the weak schedule we've played thus far and will continue to pad stats on the rest of the way.

They have been a top3 unit three out of the last 4 years playing all kinds of teams, good mediocre and bad, with largely the same core pieces. It’s a really, really good defense.

Overall they're flying around and creating more pressure and turnovers. Star is helping Ed.  AJE & Groot are helping Jerry & Mario.  Matt is earning his contract but I don't see 49 getting a 2nd contract. Tre & Taron have been solid but Levi still gets picked on. And we definitely have the #1 safety combo in the NFL.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Overall they're flying around and creating more pressure and turnovers. Star is helping Ed.  AJE & Groot are helping Jerry & Mario.  Matt is earning his contract but I don't see 49 getting a 2nd contract. Tre & Taron have been solid but Levi still gets picked on. And we definitely have the #1 safety combo in the NFL.

I don’t have the numbers on him, but Levi looks to be having a solid year. 

I think I love our DL rotation.

I think our playoffs and superbowl chances go down against pocket quarterbacks.  I dont worry about our Run defense at all.

We have good edge rush when we need it.  Especially with front 4.  But it seems like we get no pressure up the middle.  So against a pocket QB like Brady or Aaron Rodgers, who just nimbly step up into the middle of the pocket as the edge DL flies past, we are in troube rushing 4 because somebody eventually gets open.

Against 'move' QBs we do better because of youth and rotation, and 'move' QBs allow us to focus only on the move half of the field for coverage focus on passing downs.

This is clearly an elite defense. How is that not obvious?

On 11/2/2021 at 3:08 PM, Jauronimo said:

Defense is excellent but is susceptible to getting pushed around in the run game against physical OLs and struggles to get consistent pressure on QBs when facing premier OLs.  Like most modern NFL defenses, they will give up points to the elite offenses.

The Colts and Tampa games will be big tests.

The Bills are playing very well against the run, actually.

10 hours ago, Motor26 said:

I don’t have the numbers on him, but Levi looks to be having a solid year. 

He is. He had a mistake or two vs the Steelers but since then he has played well. Yes Miami completed a couple of balls on him last week but he played his coverage well on those assignments and the receivers made tough catches. That happens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.