How do you deep down, really feel about this defense?

Royale with Cheese

We lead in both yrds/game and pnts/game by quite a bit.  So I would have to say we are somewhat elite.  109 in points total.  Next team is the Saints with 128.  Saints gave up 22 to the Giants.  So we gave up 31 to the Titans who were a possible top team.  Are elite teams supposed to shut out every team and win every game?  I think most here would agree TB is a good D.  They gave up 25 to the Falcons.  So having a tough game against the Titans doesn't necessarily make us average.  Now if were middle of the pack with the caliber teams we have played so far that would be concerning. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Given the shear amount of garbage QB's we'll have faced this year when the regular season is over, this team better be in the top 5.

But we've seen what happens when we play remotely competent QB's this year in Big Ben and Tannenhill. Yes we beat Mahomes but still think that's somewhat hollow given the Chiefs current state of affairs.

This is why I really don't know what to expect from this team come playoff time. We could be one and done or have a similar deep run like last year.

Big Ben was just lobbing up prayers and their receivers made the plays in tight coverage… that game felt like a tough luck loss to me more than anything. Tennessee is a pretty special case as their running game demands so much attention that it’s hard to say tannehill having a great game is what beat us…I can’t think of any other team like that these days. Browns are close ish but kind of a lesser version. So it’s hard to extrapolate anything based on that titans loss unless we see them again in the playoffs which is very doubtful if Henry misses a lot of time. I just don’t think we can say things like well look what tannehill did Brady will def torch us which is the kind of stuff fans love to say haha

I think the comments in this thread are kind of funny.  Lower top 10?   Lead the league in yards against and points against, lead the league in takeaways, and you think there are 7, 8 or 9 better defenses?   What makes those defenses better?  Their teams have cheerleaders?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

I don't like the zone defense. WR's are always open in the middle of the field and make uncontested catches. Brown, and Parker were running wide open the past two games. 

This is a product of us playing with 5 DBs all the time.  We need Edmunds and Milano near the line to help with the run but if they get fooled with play action they can't get the depth to take the middle away.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think they’re a Top 10 Defense, but are probably towards the bottom of the Top 10 if everyone played the same schedule.  

I think we have way too much assets/money tied up into the DL for the product we see on the field.  

The back half is very talented in Edmunds, Milano, Johnson, White, Poyer and Hyde.  

That being said, nobody in our secondary is Jalen Ramsey or Tyrann Matthieu, and we certainly don’t have a Donald or Bosa. 

They lack a true difference maker which makes them very good, but not elite.  

This is true of a couple position groups. The Bills push the top of the list on OL and LB spending as well, and we don’t get elite production out of either. 

I think they are an above average defense and good enough to win a Super Bowl with a competent offense.  They do have weaknesses and aren’t the great defense that the advanced stats labeled them.  

They are missing a bonafide pass rusher and the pass rush can disappear at times.  This makes me and little weary to think how they might do trying to prevent a good offense from scoring on the last possession of a game.  

They’re good, not great, jmo. Imo they are held back on occasion by the scheme and coaches, again jmo.

Go Bills!!!

One thing I would like to see McDermott get away from later in the season is such a heavy dline rotation and focus on the hot hand so to speak in terms of guys that are getting pressure and giving them the bulk of the snaps, similar to shortening the bench rotation so to speak in the NBA playoffs.

And I do think we'll have a great opportunity to pad our sack numbers the next few weeks given the opponents on deck so it will be somewhat disappointing if we don't get at least 4 sacks against in each of these games against the Jags and jets.

At the end of the day though if we could snag a pass rushing DT in a trade in the next 24 hours it would go a long way to help this team make a serious run at a SB this year.

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I think…

they are going to be well fed and get very fat against all the rookie/back-up/3rd stringers at QB they will face all season.

and then seem very normal against the well balanced veteran QBs they will face.

good news…they really won’t face a Qb Like that until January.

Brady and his WRs will likely light em up pretty good in Tampa.   Bills really don't have an answer to either TB's offense or defense.   Tampa is like LAs offense and Steelers defense.    But yeah, Bills is good enough against 90% of the league for sure.  

It is an elite defense, Top 5. Somewhat assisted by the QB's we have faced, but I think defensive play against below average QB's is a sign of an elite defense. That is where they show the most in today's game. Elite defense in today's game is a defense that makes it very difficult to lose against average teams. Then one that can flash against above average teams and sometimes dominate a game. This is just what elite defenses looks like in todays NFL. An elite defense is still perfectly capable of laying an egg and does so much more frequently than ever before. Elite defenses will also still fall victim more often than not to elite offenses. It's just not the same game anymore. The last formidable defense that was consistent and dominant was probably the Legion of Boom and that was 7-10 years or so in the prime. We really haven't seen anything in the modern era close to that since. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So right now as it stands, the Bills are #1 in the NFL in total yards, points and turnovers (tied) on defense. 

Am I the only one who doesn't think they are as good as the stats show?

I certainly think this is a good defense but I don't feel they're elite.  Their numbers are elite but I'm not there yet with them.

What about yous guys?

I don't trust them at all. Not at all.

Even though the numbers weren’t as good last season, I kinda liked what they were doing down the stretch. They seemed to mix it up a lot more. More exotic looks, more blitzes, disguised coverages, etc. This year they get Lotulelei back and they’ve pretty much gone back to the standard rush four and everyone else cover. I’d like to see them get a little more aggressive. But that’s not necessarily the type of defense McDermott favors. They seem to be fine giving up the underneath stuff and preventing the big play and then tightening up in their own end to hold teams to FG tries. That’s all well and good but that can also wear the defense down by the end of the game. They definitely need to create more three and outs and keep creating turnovers to give the offense an extra possession or two per game. 

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.