How do you deep down, really feel about this defense?

Royale with Cheese

So right now as it stands, the Bills are #1 in the NFL in total yards, points and turnovers (tied) on defense. 

Am I the only one who doesn't think they are as good as the stats show?

I certainly think this is a good defense but I don't feel they're elite.  Their numbers are elite but I'm not there yet with them.

What about yous guys?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

The stats are padded by those two shut outs against terrible teams. However, they are still a killer defense, and it isnt their fault, they play who is on the schedule. Other "#1 rates" teams had schedules against some easy teams too. It's how it works, and it all balances out in the end.

They are definitely a top 10, and even top 5 defense. Where exactly they land in that, doesnt really matter.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm frustrated by the pass rush. Pressure but we never get to the QB, or we let them escape.

All the uncalled holds dont help, but the bigger thing (and they showed this in a graphic yesterday) is how quickly the QBs we have faced are getting the ball out of their hand. Ben, Tua, and Tannehill all get the ball out so quick, it's tough to get to them. But the pressure we DO apply forces those quick throws which sometimes forces mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

All the uncalled holds dont help, but the bigger thing (and they showed this in a graphic yesterday) is how quickly the QBs we have faced are getting the ball out of their hand. Ben, Tua, and Tannehill all get the ball out so quick, it's tough to get to them. But the pressure we DO apply forces those quick throws which sometimes forces mistakes.

I don't know if it's the players or the scheme.  If we don't cause any confusion, they see the open WR much quicker.  

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So right now as it stands, the Bills are #1 in the NFL in total yards, points and turnovers (tied) on defense. 

Am I the only one who doesn't think they are as good as the stats show?

I certainly think this is a good defense but I don't feel they're elite.  Their numbers are elite but I'm not there yet with them.

What about yous guys?

This is no doubt a very good defense on paper but we lack true elite/game changing players. I think the metrics are misleading similar to 2019 because of the level of competition we've faced thus far.

I think certainly we have pro bowl guys when they are their best in White/Milano/Hyde. But the rest are just a bunch of role players and above average starters on their best days.

And not having a true dominant force on DL is what will ultimately likely prevent this team from getting to/winning a SB this year IMO.  (Same with the glaring flaws on the interior oline).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

This is no doubt a very good defense on paper but we lack true elite/game changing players. I think the metrics are misleading similar to 2019 because of the level of competition we've faced thus far.

I think certainly we have pro bowl guys when they are their best in White/Milano/Hyde. But the rest are just a bunch of role players and above average starters on their best days.

And not having a true dominant force on DL is what will ultimately likely prevent this team from getting to/winning a SB this year IMO.  (Same with the glaring flaws on the interior oline).

Pretty much how I feel.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

I don't trust it.

Sorry, you asked.  I like a lot of the pieces but if we need a defensive stop up by 6 or less in the 4th quarter in the playoffs I'll be a wreck.

Until we have a guy that you know you can count on when its 3rd and 6 late in a game to go make a play and get to the qb i dont think we have the top unit.... probably a top 5 unit though.

• Agree 1

The only answer is who knows. They gave up 6 scoring drives in a row to the Titans. We have yet to beat a team with a winning record. What they did to KC gives me all kinds of optimism.  That was a great performance on the road on national TV. All the other wins were against QBs that are awful. 

They won't face another competent QB until Brady and I guess the next most competent would be Mac Jones. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.