OT- think about going to the MNF game - need advice

appoo

Trying to weigh out a solo trip (ain't no way in hell I'm asking my Cali born and bred wife to make a trip with me to Buffalo in December - especially a night game) or I guess pilgrimage since I'm a 42 year old life long Bills fan who's never been to a Bills game. I'm on the east coast for a few months so wanted to take advantage of a cheap flight up. I found a $70 ticket through ticketmaster, so already bought that with the idea I can just sell it if I can't go

So questions I have:

1. The 'cheap' motels within walking distance to the stadium is like 450 a night.  Best place to stay without worrying about staying in a murder hotel/attacked by bed bugs, and won't cost arm/leg/appendage of your choice? That's literally my bar btw. 
  2. If Downtown (which I'm leaning towards), what's the Uber/Lyft situation like? Am I gonna have to wait an hour in freezing weather to get my Uber back to the city? Are there any convenient shuttles or other forms of public transportation?
  3. I'm gonna need a wing place recommendation. My plan is to get in on Sunday morning or so, to check the city out and then get some wings for dinner. 
  4. Depending on the Uber answer - I might rent a vehicle. Should I get the parking pass? 
  5. Can I crash someone's tailgate? Which area? General etiquette rules? Should I just wander around with a case of beer looking to make friends? Again the weather here has me a bit worried.  I'd like to experience a full Bills game though
  6. How does vaccine proof work? I got my jabs in California. 
  7. Any other factors I should consider?

Thanks folks! I'm potentially super excited about this

Edited by appoo

• appoo changed the title to OT- think about going to the MNF game - need advice

1.  Try the Transit Road (Rte 78) places in Lancaster/Depew near the Thruway/airport.  Since you'll be flying in and out, probably your best bet.

2.  You could also try staying near the metro station by UB/South Campus, and take the train into and out of the city.  Ubers (to/from airport/stadium)_ will be more plentiful there because of the college students as well.

3.  Plenty of places, of course.  Anchor Bar will be jammed.  Duff's.  Elmo's.  You'll find something.

4.  Might actually be cheaper to rent the car and not deal with constant Ubers/other transportation.  Ubers will be more expensive on game day because of demand.  Plenty of off-site walkable parking, or at least there was in my time before the Bills shut off access to the California Road lots awhile back.

5.  By tomorrow you probably will have been invited to a few tailgates in this thread.

6.  The team website has the proof rules, I believe.

7.  Have fun!

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1

Regarding transportation, I had read somewhere recently that one person simply posted signs in their hotel elevator that they were looking for a ride to/from the game, and they did get several offers.  So that's an option if you're comfortable with doing that. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Regarding transportation, I had read somewhere recently that one person simply posted signs in their hotel elevator that they were looking for a ride to/from the game, and they did get several offers.  So that's an option if you're comfortable with doing that. 

That’s actually a great idea and might really work. Might even get invited to a tailgate too since the Buffalo folks are so awesome. 

I generally only go to one home game (and one on the road) so I hate to take chances. Getting a ride from the hotel or catching an Uber (how do they find you without walking a LONG way out?) don’t give me  enough confidence or control of my situation, so I bite the bullet and rent a car. They are NOT cheap, but it gives me some control and peace of mind. 

I’ve gone to the Anchor Bar because I can get in there and Duffs (where I’d go with my older friends for pitchers as a 16 year old, hence my preference) is always PACKED! There’s are other great options and I keep trying to get to Gabriel’s Gate and Bar Bill, but I can only fit so many meals in. 

Staying downtown is full of hotel and dining options. I’ve done that before, but usually stay in Williamsville because that’s where I grew up and a lot of the places I went as a kid are still around. There is a nice little bar scene along Main St, walking distance form the Hampton Inn. 

Take beer (probably won’t have to worry about keeping it cold :)) and make friends. I won’t be there but, as said above, you just might get a tailgate invite on from this thread. 

HAVE A BLAST! 

• Like (+1) 1

The Tailgate section will be a good resource for you:  https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/forum/35-tailgate-central/

- There are lots of hotels by the airport that are cheap, so there's an options.  I stayed DT (at the Courtyard, which looks sold out that weekend) this summer and had a good time hitting the bars, restaurants, brewery / distillery.  Lots of stuff worth exploring and trying right outside your hotel door.

- Not sure on the Uber DT, I had my car, so was driving. 

- You'll get 100 answers to this one.  If DT,  I've heard Gabril's Gate kills it.  If you want a (pricey) burger, ABV was really good. And maybe a Stinger from Jim's before bed...

-  Got me, I always park at Hammer's Lot.  Check the tailgate section.

-  Bring beers, make friends!!  I'd pay attention here and on the Tailgate Central, I'm sure you'll find something to join up with!

-  Not sure, check BB.com to be sure!!

-  It'll be cold, wear layers!!  And warm boots.  Also, when in doubt, whiskey makes you warm :D

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, appoo said:

Trying to weigh out a solo trip (ain't no way in hell I'm asking my Cali born and bred wife to make a trip with me to Buffalo in December - especially a night game) or I guess pilgrimage since I'm a 42 year old life long Bills fan who's never been to a Bills game. I'm on the east coast for a few months so wanted to take advantage of a cheap flight up. I found a $70 ticket through ticketmaster, so already bought that with the idea I can just sell it if I can't go

So questions I have:

1. The 'cheap' motels within walking distance to the stadium is like 450 a night.  Best place to stay without worrying about staying in a murder hotel/attacked by bed bugs, and won't cost arm/leg/appendage of your choice? That's literally my bar btw. 
  2. If Downtown (which I'm leaning towards), what's the Uber/Lyft situation like? Am I gonna have to wait an hour in freezing weather to get my Uber back to the city? Are there any convenient shuttles or other forms of public transportation?
  3. I'm gonna need a wing place recommendation. My plan is to get in on Sunday morning or so, to check the city out and then get some wings for dinner. 
  4. Depending on the Uber answer - I might rent a vehicle. Should I get the parking pass? 
  5. Can I crash someone's tailgate? Which area? General etiquette rules? Should I just wander around with a case of beer looking to make friends? Again the weather here has me a bit worried.  I'd like to experience a full Bills game though
  6. How does vaccine proof work? I got my jabs in California. 
  7. Any other factors I should consider?

Thanks folks! I'm potentially super excited about this

Man.........for $399 straight cash maybe@Hammered a Lot will set you up in his garage.    Bring an inflatable mattress and one of those sleeping bags with the tinfoil inside.   Boom.  Can't get much closer to the stadium than that.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

You'll need to bring your Covid vaccination card or show electronic record of vaccinations.  I'm from Virginia and the Dept of Health here has a website to retrieve your vaccination records.  

Got mine from CA and have it saved in like 5 different places haha

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

The Tailgate section will be a good resource for you:  https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/forum/35-tailgate-central/

- There are lots of hotels by the airport that are cheap, so there's an options.  I stayed DT (at the Courtyard, which looks sold out that weekend) this summer and had a good time hitting the bars, restaurants, brewery / distillery.  Lots of stuff worth exploring and trying right outside your hotel door.

- Not sure on the Uber DT, I had my car, so was driving. 

- You'll get 100 answers to this one.  If DT,  I've heard Gabril's Gate kills it.  If you want a (pricey) burger, ABV was really good. And maybe a Stinger from Jim's before bed...

-  Got me, I always park at Hammer's Lot.  Check the tailgate section.

-  Bring beers, make friends!!  I'd pay attention here and on the Tailgate Central, I'm sure you'll find something to join up with!

-  Not sure, check BB.com to be sure!!

-  It'll be cold, wear layers!!  And warm boots.  Also, when in doubt, whiskey makes you warm :D

thanks for the link!

I'll be getting in a bit late, so I decided to stay in Amherst, and gonna aim for Duffs.

Really looking forward to talking Bills at the tailgating. Will definitely be bringing a case of beers. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, appoo said:

Got mine from CA and have it saved in like 5 different places haha

thanks for the link!

I'll be getting in a bit late, so I decided to stay in Amherst, and gonna aim for Duffs.

Really looking forward to talking Bills at the tailgating. Will definitely be bringing a case of beers. 

Good luck with Duff’s, seriously. That was one of my go-to joints when I was 16-17 and had friends a little older. We were more into the pitchers of beers than the wings back then. But BOTH were great! 

When I go back now I’m always amazed by the wait. Next trip back I will allow plenty of time to wait it out. It’s kinda personal to me, and I need to make that happen. It’s tough when you go as a single as there is little if any bar seating. I think it was @Alphadawg7 who said there is a small bar inside the door (?), but I didn’t notice it when I stuck my head inside a few years ago. As a teen we always had a table, pitchers of beer and beer, oh I mean some wings, usually. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Good luck with Duff’s, seriously. That was one of my go-to joints when I was 16-17 and had friends a little older. We were more into the pitchers of beers than the wings back then. But BOTH were great! 

When I go back now I’m always amazed by the wait. Next trip back I will allow plenty of time to wait it out. It’s kinda personal to me, and I need to make that happen. It’s tough when you go as a single as there is little if any bar seating. I think it was @Alphadawg7 who said there is a small bar inside the door (?), but I didn’t notice it when I stuck my head inside a few years ago. As a teen we always had a table, pitchers of beer and beer, oh I mean some wings, usually. 

I was thinking I'd go at lunch on Monday, well before the MNF crowd go in. Even if there's a line, I'll have time to wait - and my long johns to survive the wait

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Probably 5:00Pm for a night game. :lol:

9:30, would make for an interesting tailgate, though.😆

We;d show up at 8am for PSU night game tailgates. We'd get drunk before 11am, slow down, and then pick up steam again around 3pm. Interesting experience, being drunk twice in one day. You'd start feeling the hangover in the 2nd half

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

I was thinking I'd go at lunch on Monday, well before the MNF crowd go in. Even if there's a line, I'll have time to wait - and my long johns to survive the wait

Lunch Monday is probably a great option. I’m usually there on the weekend, which would be more popular. Fly in Friday and limited weekend options. Monday’s have to be MUCH lighter than Friday night or Saturday lunch and dinner. 

Nashville recently was my first Monday night game in forever. It throws off my internal clock! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Lunch Monday is probably a great option. I’m usually there on the weekend, which would be more popular. Fly in Friday and limited weekend options. Monday’s have to be MUCH lighter than Friday night or Saturday lunch and dinner. 

Nashville recently was my first Monday night game in forever. It throws off my internal clock! 

I've been on the west coast since 2011, after living in PA between like 1994 - 2010.  I had no idea how much better sports times were on Pacific Time. I'm in Nashville for a few months, and the wait time for late games has me dying. 

6 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Probably 5:00Pm for a night game. :lol:

9:30, would make for an interesting tailgate, though.😆

5pm is only 3hrs before game time. I'm gonna be there an hour later cuz I can't drink anymore (darn meds). I'd get there much earlier if you plan on getting into the true tailgating experience. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.