Day After Thoughts Dolphins Game

corta765

1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

I'm sick of Daboll's quick passes to the LOS that go for maybe a 1 yard gain but probably average a 2 yard loss.  Why he continues to run these plays with the success rate they have is a real head scratcher.

Our “screen pass game” (if we even had one…,)  has been abysmal, I hate to say it, but Josh is bad at screen passes, and from what we see in practice highlights they don’t seem to even work on that obvious deficiency, but hey, I’m just a weekend game watcher, what the hell do I know…, 

Go Bills!!!

58 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Our “screen pass game” (if we even had one…,)  has been abysmal, I hate to say it, but Josh is bad at screen passes, and from what we see in practice highlights they don’t seem to even work on that obvious deficiency, but hey, I’m just a weekend game watcher, what the hell do I know…, 

Go Bills!!!

I would like to see WR Screen to more dynamic player - activate Stevenson.  And I thought Breida would be a good RB screen target too but only played in one game.  

Speed on the outside and underneath is how many teams beat these zone coverages.  Wonder  if Daboll will start to mix up WR/RB roster for specific game plans like Frazier does with D Line. 

Next couple games would be good ones to try it on.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Azucho98 said:

I'm sick of Daboll's quick passes to the LOS that go for maybe a 1 yard gain but probably average a 2 yard loss.  Why he continues to run these plays with the success rate they have is a real head scratcher.

Daboll knows 1,000 more about NFL football than I do.  Still, it was hard to understand his play calling in the first half.

We couldn't run on them - mostly because our OL was failing.  We couldn't pass deep given their defense.  By the end of the first quarter, the situation was screaming for dunk-and-dink.

Whatever the cause, the offense couldn't find its rhythm - or the endzone - in the first half under Daboll's leadership.   I would love a chance to talk to him and discover what he was thinking.  

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

Daboll knows 1,000 more about NFL football than I do.  Still, it was hard to understand his play calling in the first half.

We couldn't run on them - mostly because our OL was failing.  We couldn't pass deep given their defense.  By the end of the first quarter, the situation was screaming for dunk-and-dink.

Whatever the cause, the offense couldn't find its rhythm - or the endzone - in the first half under Daboll's leadership.   I would love a chance to talk to him and discover what he was thinking.  

The offensive line has been reallyy up and down this year and the worst it has been since 2018 (obviously not that bad). The difference to me is Allen for the most part no longer gets flustered and is making the plays that negate the pressure coming. As the season has gone on I feel like the PIT game caught him by surprise as the OL got the snot kicked out of it. Since then he looks to have made the adjustments needed to find the open guys and let them make plays (and his guys are also holding the ball too).

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The offensive line has been reallyy up and down this year and the worst it has been since 2018 (obviously not that bad). The difference to me is Allen for the most part no longer gets flustered and is making the plays that negate the pressure coming. As the season has gone on I feel like the PIT game caught him by surprise as the OL got the snot kicked out of it. Since then he looks to have made the adjustments needed to find the open guys and let them make plays (and his guys are also holding the ball too).

The thing is, we notice all of the problems, but we don't place them in context. At the end of the day the Bills offense is first in the league in points per game, 6th in yards, and 2nd in fewest turnovers given up  (and 1st in yardage, points, and turnovers forced on defense).  The team is playing extremely well overall. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

My one beef about the game is that the Bills should have held the Dolphins touchdown-less. That fourth down completion to Giesecki only happened because Giesecki committed blatant OPI to get Hyde off of him. That's gotta be called. It was really obvious.

Not to mention the hands to the face/holding on Groot (I thought it was Hughes, it was Groot)

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing is, we notice all of the problems, but we don't place them in context. At the end of the day the Bills offense is first in the league in points per game, 6th in yards, and 2nd in fewest turnovers given up  (and 1st in yardage, points, and turnovers forced on defense).  The team is playing extremely well overall. 

Oh no doubt. I even said in my criticism of DaBoll that it is more the level of expectation then actual poor play or gameplan. I mean they literally sleepwalked through a half and then said OK and scored 23 pts without a lot of pushback. The biggest thing everyone sees is last year the offense flowed sooo seamlessly throughout whereas this year outside of the Washington game they've been a little 3 steps forward 1 back at points. So it is hard not compare, but teams have a year of film and I really think teams have been trying to do what KC in the title game and PIT week 1 did against Allen. Difference is he's evolved into a far more complete QB already so it's negating that most of the time. The Titans game to me was Allen's best this year because their defense isn't bad and he was pressed big time to make all the plays and basically did so. Crappy finish but I thought it really showed how far he has come.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

On this note we can't set a screen pass to save our lives.  Would have worked time and time again yesterday with the pass rush we were seeing but our line can't block lineman nor can they get out and block LB's on a screen.

My takes ...

• A divisional opponent on a six game losing streak that you butt whooped earlier in the season is an upset waiting to happen.  This is just the way the NFL is. While all the pundits and fans were yapping about the Bills "laying a fifty burger" on the Carp, I was fearing exactly what happened in the first half:  Miami would sell out to keep the game tight. 
  • Specifically for this past game, I think that the Miami turn over late in the first half when they looked to be driving for a TD to take the lead just before half time broke their spirit because it reminded the Miami players that their team isn't nearly as good as the Bills.  It was a "here we go again" moment for the Carp players and fans when it seems that Fate or God or whatever is against them.  How many times did Bills teams in the Drought years put up good fights early against NE only to fail to score on a drive deep in NE territory late in the first half ... and get spanked in the second half, sometimes mercilessly?
  • Part of the problem with the OL in the game was because Spencer Brown was hurt and didn't play, necessitating switching some positions including moving Feliciano to the opposite side. 
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Muppy said:

regarding question #4 I saw texts saying the weather at early tailgate 6am was misty rain...and cleared up for the game.

Had a misty rain in the first quarter, but it stopped by the second. The wind was definitely a factor. Probably 15-20mph for most of the game from the scoreboard side. The Miami fg miss in the first may have been affected. 

It got stronger later in the game, so it made it harder for long passes to be completed. 

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

• A divisional opponent on a six game losing streak that you butt whooped earlier in the season is an upset waiting to happen.  This is just the way the NFL is. While all the pundits and fans were yapping about the Bills "laying a fifty burger" on the Carp, I was fearing exactly what happened in the first half:  Miami would sell out to keep the game tight.

Which is why it was my first point and you explained it just as well. Drought NE years we would have one game where they typically blasted us, but the other was close like this until a big moment or play happened.

Anybody else wonder why we don't seem to be doing any jet sweeps or even the motions and sweep fakes we did with McKenzie last season?  Those were a pretty successful part of our offense last season and gave defenses another thing to worry about.  Its like they totally scrapped them this season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills won yesterday so my list of things to ***** about is short.

1. PENALTIES PENALTIES PENALTIES ... enough is enough now guys, we're halfway through the season... STOP !!!

2. I'm getting sick of the 1st down hand off to Singleyardtary. How many 2nd and 9's do we need to see before we come up with a better 1st down play ?

That's all the annoyances I've got.

The Fins D-line out played the Bills O-line early and schemed their defense to take good advantage of that. Daboll was slow to react to the Fins scheme but once he got the play calling down right the offense was rolling. The defense was solid throughout a good bounce back game against an offense that was playing decently and has some talent. The Special Teams had one of their worst days on the season. Haack had a bad punt and Mac made a bad muff that lucked out for the team but could have cost the team the game. 

Overall I would give this team a C+. It was a good enough effort to win by multiple possessions against a mediocre team. But a slow start offensively and a bad day by the Special Teams unit allowed an inferior team to hang around despite an impressive and consistent defensive performance. Had the Fins not missed that first short kick and fumbled on a bad miscue before the half this team would have been down 6-10 points at the half. Good and Great teams find ways to win these games and the Bills simply were the more talented team and won. 

The Bills need to come out sharp against a Jags team that is wounded but has played some teams tough. It's great the Bills got to 5-2 but they have to keep piling up these wins against lesser competition before hitting the hardest stretch of the schedule. Need to be sitting at 7-2 before heading into the stretch of games that is most difficult on the schedule (Colts who are better than their record, at NOLA on a Thursday, Patriots who are a solid team and at Tampa Bay one of the best teams in the league.) Fatten up on these bad teams.

I keep thinking (hoping) the bills offense is holding back, just waiting to explode come playoff time or whenever truly needed. I know that's crazy talk, but I just get so frustrated when we have all these weapons that seem to not get used. Daboll calling runs yesterday like he was dick jauron was maddening in the first half. 

I have a theory with the front four on D. It seems to me, they are always playing strait up beat your man. Do they ever run stunts, where a Dlineman runs around another DLineman to reach a gap and pressure the QB? Usually I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see if someone makes it to the QB, but a little trickery on the DLine can really pay dividends. Meatball used to do it, but not sure if these young guys are?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.