Day After Thoughts Dolphins Game

corta765

So unlike Virigl I do not do these weekly as its wayyy tooo much work and more realistically I only comment or start a post if I feel I have something to say that has not been said. So here is where my thoughts were after the game:

1. Far too many people oversold the Bills being fired up after the bye and the loss to TEN and undersold the Phins being competitive. A lot of people said "well after the Cardinals loss the Bills went on fire so they can do so again". Few things wrong with that, 1. they beat the Chargers 27-17 in a pretty up and down performance (it wasn't a blow out), 2. Last year has zero bearing on this season, sports are not linear. 3. The guys are human, to think that after a loss like the Titans the team might not be a little down is just foolish. The Cardinals loss was a fluke play in a good game they had won, the Titans was a playoff type battle and you could see how emotionally spent both teams were by the end. Whoever lost that was not gonna walk away feeling good. With all of that said on a relatively bad day they walked away 26-11 winners so that's pretty cool.

2. Brian DaBoll is a very good offensive coordinator and paramount to Allen's development. I think this has also been his worst year as OC which is less a criticism and more a growth of expectations. This game reminded me of the Steelers game where I just sat watching the play calls yelling "what are you doing". I get that we rolled Miami on the ground last game, but you could see by the early 2nd quarter it wasn't happening.  Like the Steelers game Cole Beasley was wide open all the dang time, thankfully this time the Bills got him involved much sooner. I have no qualms with DaBoll as an OC I am happy he is our guy, but whether it was to not show as much on tape, try and run on Miami, the offensive line being a different combo, etc.. I really hated his game plan until he let Josh loose in the second half. It is weird to say the offense has not played its best game yet, but truthfully the talent and Allen is carrying the day this season more then game plan (outside of KC that was a great gameplan).

3. The defense had a nice comeback game after the Titans and Edmudns/Milano as a combo were dynamite. The Titans game they both were over pursuing and out of position which cost the Bills dearly. This game outside of a play here or there they really frustrated Tua and the Phins all game. Tre White is going to explode soon for a stretch of games with a few INTs, he was superb and he has been more noticeable the last few weeks. The penalties not called were crap especially on Gesieckis 40 yard reception when I believe Hughes got his helmet knock off and held with no call. The defensive line had a nice game and Ed Oliver is having a good season in my eyes and making an impact week in week out. They really really could use an impact DE though. That to me is the missing piece on this defense is a guy off the edge who is a Terror. Sadly they don't grow on trees.

4. If you were at the game how was the weather? The broadcast kept talking about the wind, but I just looked a like a normal damp Sunday Bills game in Fall.

5. As a non-bias fan Tua just looks average overall and at this point I do not blame the Dolphins from moving on. I get the prior two weeks he had the Dolphins in position to win and had they the Phins would've came in at 3-4, but what do he excel at? A few of the third down stops the Bills had he just straight up missed guys with his passes. I do not think the Phins have handled him well in terms of bringing him along and working to his strengths. But I also am not sure he really has a strength that allows him to dominate in any fashion. The broadcast earlier on decided to compare Tua's first 16 starts vs Allen and Tua's numbers were non-surprisingly better. The problem with this to me is there was no context to any of it. Allen had zero weapons until 2019 whereas Tua at least has some talent at WR. Additionally while Allen had growing pains, some of the throws and plays he made you said no one else outside of maybe Mahomes or Rodgers would do. With Tua I cannot recall a play he has had in his first 16 where I said "ok this could be a problem". Hopefully the Phins keep him as its been great for the Bills, but if I were a Phins fan I get wanting to move on at this point.

6. Diggs has been good this season even if the numbers are not equal to last year. One of the things I appreciate about great players is the ability to impact the game even if it is in a singular moment. The TD pass to get the Bills a 17-3 lead is proof of that. It was single coverage and the Dolphins brought the house forcing a quick throw. The chemistry of Allen and Diggs showed there as he beat his man cleanly to get the TD.  It was the type of play though were your guy just being better makes all the difference and I appreciate that with him. Also even though his production is "down" he is on pace for for 1150 yards, 7 TDs, and 96 recs. I think we are all good with that.

7. The four pack of Phins, Jags, Jets, & Colts is a greatttt opportunity for the Bills to pick up needed conference wins. One down three to go. If you can sweep that group your AFC conference record would be 7-2. That would help to atone for the Titans loss in terms of tiebreaker. The Colts are probably the scariest team of that bunch as they are playing much better football, but the Jets to me are the wildcard of the group. Zach Wilson has been all over the place as QB while White has been competent to good. Their defense has played well at times and with rookie head coaches you never know what they can do good or bad. Teams like the Jets scare me because its such a wild mixed bag and not predictable whereas the Dolphins you knew what you were working with. The Jets are bad, but what performance comes with that is a major ? .

8. So I love the fact McD is aggressive and willing to go for it on 4th down. Love it! He has been with the statistics in the situations to do so. With that said he and DaBoll need to sit with Josh and they need to as a group identify there best plays for success. They were a very good team last year on 4th down and while they have converted some this year, the misses have been really bad from the PIT game, Titan game, to even yesterday. Whether it is the play call/type or Josh forcing a bad throw/reading the play wrong or taking a penalty etc.. they have been far from crisp on these plays which are major game changers.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

My thoughts turned to this:

QBs left on Bills Schedule'

Trevor Lawrence

Mike White

Carson Wentz

Trevor Simien

Mac Jones

Tom Brady

Sam Darnold

Mac Jones

Matt Ryan

Mike White (or Wilson)

Prediction alot of Pain for opposing offenses.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, TBBills said:

The only problems I saw from the game was the Jinx OJ put on them by being at the game.

I know the guy running the video display PROBABLY gets fired doing this, but he 100% should've put on the display "The Juice Is Loose"

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, TBBills said:

The only problems I saw from the game was the Jinx OJ put on them by being at the game.

wow and you all recall Im sure how Marino and Kelly were on the field yesterday too. I wonder if they ran into OJ in a luxury suite or something....hmmmmmm

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, corta765 said:

So unlike Virigl I do not do these weekly as its wayyy tooo much work and more realistically I only comment or start a post if I feel I have something to say that has not been said. So here is where my thoughts were after the game:

1. Far too many people oversold the Bills being fired up after the bye and the loss to TEN and undersold the Phins being competitive. A lot of people said "well after the Cardinals loss the Bills went on fire so they can do so again". Few things wrong with that, 1. they beat the Chargers 27-17 in a pretty up and down performance (it wasn't a blow out), 2. Last year has zero bearing on this season, sports are not linear. 3. The guys are human, to think that after a loss like the Titans the team might not be a little down is just foolish. The Cardinals loss was a fluke play in a good game they had won, the Titans was a playoff type battle and you could see how emotionally spent both teams were by the end. Whoever lost that was not gonna walk away feeling good. With all of that said on a relatively bad day they walked away 26-11 winners so that's pretty cool.

2. Brian DaBoll is a very good offensive coordinator and paramount to Allen's development. I think this has also been his worst year as OC which is less a criticism and more a growth of expectations. This game reminded me of the Steelers game where I just sat watching the play calls yelling "what are you doing". I get that we rolled Miami on the ground last game, but you could see by the early 2nd quarter it wasn't happening.  Like the Steelers game Cole Beasley was wide open all the dang time, thankfully this time the Bills got him involved much sooner. I have no qualms with DaBoll as an OC I am happy he is our guy, but whether it was to not show as much on tape, try and run on Miami, the offensive line being a different combo, etc.. I really hated his game plan until he let Josh loose in the second half. It is weird to say the offense has not played its best game yet, but truthfully the talent and Allen is carrying the day this season more then game plan (outside of KC that was a great gameplan).

3. The defense had a nice comeback game after the Titans and Edmudns/Milano as a combo were dynamite. The Titans game they both were over pursuing and out of position which cost the Bills dearly. This game outside of a play here or there they really frustrated Tua and the Phins all game. Tre White is going to explode soon for a stretch of games with a few INTs, he was superb and he has been more noticeable the last few weeks. The penalties not called were crap especially on Gesieckis 40 yard reception when I believe Hughes got his helmet knock off and held with no call. The defensive line had a nice game and Ed Oliver is having a good season in my eyes and making an impact week in week out. They really really could use an impact DE though. That to me is the missing piece on this defense is a guy off the edge who is a Terror. Sadly they don't grow on trees.

4. If you were at the game how was the weather? The broadcast kept talking about the wind, but I just looked a like a normal damp Sunday Bills game in Fall.

5. As a non-bias fan Tua just looks average overall and at this point I do not blame the Dolphins from moving on. I get the prior two weeks he had the Dolphins in position to win and had they the Phins would've came in at 3-4, but what do he excel at? A few of the third down stops the Bills had he just straight up missed guys with his passes. I do not think the Phins have handled him well in terms of bringing him along and working to his strengths. But I also am not sure he really has a strength that allows him to dominate in any fashion. The broadcast earlier on decided to compare Tua's first 16 starts vs Allen and Tua's numbers were non-surprisingly better. The problem with this to me is there was no context to any of it. Allen had zero weapons until 2019 whereas Tua at least has some talent at WR. Additionally while Allen had growing pains, some of the throws and plays he made you said no one else outside of maybe Mahomes or Rodgers would do. With Tua I cannot recall a play he has had in his first 16 where I said "ok this could be a problem". Hopefully the Phins keep him as its been great for the Bills, but if I were a Phins fan I get wanting to move on at this point.

6. Diggs has been good this season even if the numbers are not equal to last year. One of the things I appreciate about great players is the ability to impact the game even if it is in a singular moment. The TD pass to get the Bills a 17-3 lead is proof of that. It was single coverage and the Dolphins brought the house forcing a quick throw. The chemistry of Allen and Diggs showed there as he beat his man cleanly to get the TD.  It was the type of play though were your guy just being better makes all the difference and I appreciate that with him. Also even though his production is "down" he is on pace for for 1150 yards, 7 TDs, and 96 recs. I think we are all good with that.

7. The four pack of Phins, Jags, Jets, & Colts is a greatttt opportunity for the Bills to pick up needed conference wins. One down three to go. If you can sweep that group your AFC conference record would be 7-2. That would help to atone for the Titans loss in terms of tiebreaker. The Colts are probably the scariest team of that bunch as they are playing much better football, but the Jets to me are the wildcard of the group. Zach Wilson has been all over the place as QB while White has been competent to good. Their defense has played well at times and with rookie head coaches you never know what they can do good or bad. Teams like the Jets scare me because its such a wild mixed bag and not predictable whereas the Dolphins you knew what you were working with. The Jets are bad, but what performance comes with that is a major ? .

8. So I love the fact McD is aggressive and willing to go for it on 4th down. Love it! He has been with the statistics in the situations to do so. With that said he and DaBoll need to sit with Josh and they need to as a group identify there best plays for success. They were a very good team last year on 4th down and while they have converted some this year, the misses have been really bad from the PIT game, Titan game, to even yesterday. Whether it is the play call/type or Josh forcing a bad throw/reading the play wrong or taking a penalty etc.. they have been far from crisp on these plays which are major game changers.

regarding question #4 I saw texts saying the weather at early tailgate 6am was misty rain...and cleared up for the game.

It seems to me, the AFC east is starting to get better as a whole. Miami fought hard. New England is increasingly getting better and the Jets have now surprised two very good teams.  The Bills are now the hunted, and they better find a way to be more consistent. They are clearly have the talent but man are they up and down a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

we rolled Miami the first time easily in part to the fact the both their starting tackles were out and we knocked-out the starting qb... but these players were back yesterday plus they had a better defensive gameplan as well the second time around....

onward...Jets may be pathetic on any given week but they have quality wins this season (Titans, Bengals) and may have found something dynamic with White as QB....and then there are the Pats...

It’s likely me, (what’s new) but it’s like Dabol doesn’t really read the defenses he plays against particularly well “at times”  Nor does it appear Our O line coach and Dabol sit down and hash things out concerning our run game planning, certainly frustrating at times, okay I’m done, gonna have breakfast then go to the beach 🏖 

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Tua's arm is so weak, any pass beyond 20 yards is a jump ball. He is accurate on 8 yard passes and he does get the ball out quick so he can sustain drives but the second its 3rd and long or he needs to push the ball its bad. He needs to throw the ball so early to get it down field and that requires him to read defenses in lightning speed. Drew Brees figured out how to do it, but Im not sure Tua can.

He needs so much to go right around him. If they dont have a lead I dont know how they ever win a game. H

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Sweet!  Now I don't have to write mine.  One less thing 🙂

...Not so fast pal lol.....Im just razzin' you mate 🙂 i will say this site has some excellent writers its awesome to be here

GO BILLS!~!~!!!

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

How many times during the great 20 year drought did a Bills team flash some life in the first half of a season only to lose a game like yesterday and then go on a 3 game losing streak ending the season early and triggering draft talk for the next season?  You would have a 4 - 3 Bills team host a team they should beat, everyone would be sky high and Rich Stadium would be rocking. The Bills would get off to a slow start and be tied 3 - 3 half way through the 3rd quarter and then the wheels would come off - a big INT, the D gives up a huge play and in the end the Bills lose 17 - 6.

Yesterday we saw what a serious Super Bowl contender with a franchise QB does in a similar situation - outscore the team they should beat 23 - 8 in the last 20 minutes of the game and walk away with the W. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

How many times during the great 20 year drought did a Bills team flash some life in the first half of a season only to lose a game like yesterday and then go on a 3 game losing streak ending the season early and triggering draft talk for the next season?  You would have a 4 - 3 Bills team host a team they should beat, everyone would be sky high and Rich Stadium would be rocking. The Bills would get off to a slow start and be tied 3 - 3 half way through the 3rd quarter and then the wheels would come off - a big INT, the D gives up a huge play and in the end the Bills lose 17 - 6.

Yesterday we saw what a serious Super Bowl contender with a franchise QB does in a similar situation - outscore the team they should beat 23 - 8 in the last 20 minutes of the game and walk away with the W. 

That is one of my takeaways in general this year is seeing a team that is a SB contender overcome some lack luster games just because they are better straight up. For all the years we wish we had Brady or Rodgers etc.. Josh is literally doing that now. The 2nd half was basically him willing the offense because he was over it. It is a nice feeling

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s likely me, (what’s new) but it’s like Dabol doesn’t really read the defenses he plays against particularly well “at times”  Nor does it appear Our O line coach and Dabol sit down and hash things out concerning our run game planning, certainly frustrating at times, okay I’m done, gonna have breakfast then go to the beach 🏖 

Go Bills!!!

I'm sick of Daboll's quick passes to the LOS that go for maybe a 1 yard gain but probably average a 2 yard loss.  Why he continues to run these plays with the success rate they have is a real head scratcher.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.