Pats are 4-4 with a rookie QB and almost top 10 defense

Ethan in Cleveland

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Win over the Chargers on the road was impressive. They look like a WC team at this point. I didn't think much of Jones at the time of the draft but he is completing 68% of his passes. And he has over 7 yards per attempt so even if most of the passes are short they are moving the ball.

Defense is just outside of top 10. 

Should be good games this year to see how McD challenges the rookie and what our offense can do against their defense.

They’re unfortunately going to the Super Bowl aided by Goodell’s flunkies (refs). Bucs-Pats, Jones/Belichek-Brady 2.0

Do yourself a solid and put $100 on Pats in the super bowl. 

When this occurs, I hope this board can finally have a frank, open discussion about NFL scripting and point shaving.

90% of you will laugh at me now, but will you acknowledge this later?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

Two wins against the Jets, one against the Texans, and one against the paper tiger Chargers that got blown out a week ago.

Yeah.

I'm worried.  🙄

You can say the same thing about the Bills with the only win of note so far is against a simliar paper tiger team in the Chiefs is currently under .500

Beating 4 other teams with no more than 2 wins each is nothing to brag about and we've lost to both teams we've played this year with a record above .500

I'm not saying we should fear the Patriots but they appear to be on the ascent right now and barely lost to the Cowboys, Bucs and Dolphins and all those games were decided in the final minutes.

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's a team that we should still beat.  They aren't pushovers and I think they'll be a team that's in the hunt all year.  I think it'll take to the last week of the season to get in.

I am not saying this is going to happen, Royale, but it is kind of funny to me thinking that the Chiefs and the Pats could be battling for the last playoff spot.

If I am picking right now I am obviously still thinking Bills, Baltimore, Titans, Raiders (for now) with the division titles and Chargers and honestly still the Bengals as they are generally playing good ball at 5 and 6.

7?

Pats, Chiefs, Steelers or Browns, if they comeback or right the ship?  

Get your nachos* ready.

* Popcorn?  Popcorn for football...really?  I don't think so. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

49 minutes ago, BassToMouth said:

They’re unfortunately going to the Super Bowl aided by Goodell’s flunkies (refs). Bucs-Pats, Jones/Belichek-Brady 2.0

When this occurs, I hope this board can finally have a frank, open discussion about NFL scripting and point shaving.

Will you acknowledge it later when it doesn't happen?

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's a team that we should still beat.  They aren't pushovers and I think they'll be a team that's in the hunt all year.  I think it'll take to the last week of the season to get in.

Agree.

They have beat up on the Jets twice and the Texans.

Herbert got another taste of what playing a Belichick defense is like and he did not handle that well before. Last year they thumped Justin and the Chargers 45 to 0.

There is nothing defensively that Bill is going to lean on that Allen has not seen 2x a year and their RB and QB do not scare me.

They do have some key players back that were out last year, but we have Star back in the middle too.

Will feature a lot of TE as Bill knows we often struggle covering TEs, but have done a better job this year than last.

You never know, and it could be a dog fight, but just does not have the same intimidation effect as the Brady years.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, BassToMouth said:

I'm not laughing because the Bills are far from a lock to get to the SB despite what a lot of fans on this board and elsewhere think.

The AFC is wide open and if the Pats can go on the road and beat a QB like Herbert they can certainly do it to the Bills/Ravens/etc especially in the playoffs where Belichink knows a thing or two about winning post season games.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Win over the Chargers on the road was impressive. They look like a WC team at this point. I didn't think much of Jones at the time of the draft but he is completing 68% of his passes. And he has over 7 yards per attempt so even if most of the passes are short they are moving the ball.

Defense is just outside of top 10. 

Should be good games this year to see how McD challenges the rookie and what our offense can do against their defense.

I know they beat the chargers but im still to be convinced. they played 3 teams that are in top 12 offence. DAL, NE and LAC and they gave up an avg of 452 yards per game. and one of those games was in horrible downpour weather.  They also gave up 380 yards to HOU .

NE playing from behind is no the same team either. Their D and run gam can stiffle opponents by chewing on clock and taking over T.O.P. if they have to play from behind they abandon the run and become less effective. unless they play against the texans. Will be intersting to see them v CLE CAR ATL TEN IND and BUFFx 2.  if they could win 4 of those 7 games..  then  JAX and miami to close out the season should guarantee them a WC.

Edited by NIKOBUFF

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Their rook has actually been efficient And BB knows how to take away what you do well on Offense we should care

A lot of people don't realize that when Brady and the Pats won their first 3 SB's in the early 2000's, it was defense and ST carrying the load with Brady being a glorified game manager who had clutch plays when needed.

Obviously Brady evolved in a major way in the following years especially when they actually added real talent around him like Moss, Gronk, etc and nobody is disputing he's the GOAT. But at the end of the day there is not a ton different with what Mac Jones is doing right now and as his confidence grows and he starts connecting on some big time throws who knows what to expect.

It's not even out of the realm of possibility that the Pats win all their upcoming games on the schedule before playing the Bills in a huge MNF matchup in a month. Going further outside of the 2 games against the Bills, the only remotely challenging games they have left are against the Browns/Titans/Colts so they are certainly primed for a run.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Their rook has actually been efficient And BB knows how to take away what you do well on Offense we should care

Usually right there with ya John, but he was 18 of 35 with a QBR of 52.8.

I guess he didn't turn the ball over and that was efficient.

They had a rushing TD, a bunch of field goals, and a pick 6.

I thought Miami was going to play us tough. I expect Bill's defense will show up too, and Josh hates those 2-deep zones and I expect we will see more of that from Bill than we have seen before.

9 hours ago, golfball323 said:

Whoever thought the Pats were going to lay down and die because 5 of their starts opted out last year and returned this year wasn't paying attention. 

If we don't start playing full 60 minute games, our matchuhps with the Pats will be tough contests. 

Definitely accurate…they’re a solid team that could could give us trouble. I will say though I was beating the drum on the ‘all their best players didn’t play this season’ last year and I thought they’d be a bit more successful this season with just average qb play. Still pretty early in the year though so who knows 

the notion that rookies will continue to improve the more playing time they get is not really an accurate one though as teams start to pick up on their tendencies. So I wouldn’t be surprised if they got hot or struggled down the stretch at this point 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not laughing because the Bills are far from a lock to get to the SB despite what a lot of fans on this board and elsewhere think.

The AFC is wide open and if the Pats can go on the road and beat a QB like Herbert they can certainly do it to the Bills/Ravens/etc especially in the playoffs where Belichink knows a thing or two about winning post season games.

Oh yeah.  Patriots are super bowl contenders for sure 🤣

3 hours ago, BassToMouth said:

Confident are you?

bet $5k 

show us the “parlay” 

and we’ll see you in 4 months 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The kid is a game manager not a game breaker like JA17.

Old Billy ain't stupid he realized Wham Bam Thankyou Cam cost them games last year.

All he needs Mac to do is follow the script and they should be close in most games.

Cam couldn't follow the script that's why he got gassed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.