Week 9: Bills at Jags

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's gonna go with the territory if they continue with the notion of starting Williams at G.

Williams is a much better player at RT than Bates or Ford or Doyle at this point.

Boettger has played capably at LG last season but apparently struggles to play both sides.

I'd like to see someone evaluate how Bates did at RG because this might be our chance to check out what Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Bates-best available RT would look like.

Has D Williams been bad at guard? I am seriously asking. I thought he played well there against the Texans and Chiefs and was serviceable against the Titans. I personally am comfortable with him and Brown at the right guard and tackle. It’s the LG spot that in my opinion in the hole.

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Has D Williams been bad at guard? I am seriously asking. I thought he played well there against the Texans and Chiefs and was serviceable against the Titans. I personally am comfortable with him and Brown at the right guard and tackle. It’s the LG spot that in my opinion in the hole.

I haven't watched enough tape and if I had watched enough tape, unlike all the experts on TBD I don't feel I know enough about the Bills blocking schemes and assignments to judge for sure.  I think Brown-Williams in general looked better than Williams-Ford, but Brown for sure made a goof that resulted in a pick in the Titans game.  I saw Morse getting picked and having no one to pass his guy off to while Williams was off in space going "no one to block, no one to block" but that's the sort of thing where I don't know what Williams is supposed to do.

I think he played way better than Ford, but that's kind of a low bar

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I haven't watched enough tape and if I had watched enough tape, unlike all the experts on TBD I don't feel I know enough about the Bills blocking schemes and assignments to judge for sure.  I think Brown-Williams in general looked better than Williams-Ford, but Brown for sure made a goof that resulted in a pick in the Titans game.  I saw Morse getting picked and having no one to pass his guy off to while Williams was off in space going "no one to block, no one to block" but that's the sort of thing where I don't know what Williams is supposed to do.

I think he played way better than Ford, but that's kind of a low bar

Thanks for the honest response. The amateur “eye test” is all fans typically have regarding Oline play so there is a lot to be subjective about.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I wish I had workable all-22 to go through the game play by play, but this is plain and simple bull#### from what I have seen.

Did Feliciano get beat at times, Yes. 

Did he block well and Do His Job at others, Also Yes.

He's not a top OG.  But he's not trash.  He's paid like a low-level starter (#28 in AAV on his contract, I believe), with possibly a bit of a premium because he's proven he can play both sides and play center capably.  

He plays at that level.

Beane seems to have a pattern to take multiple "shots on goal" at a position when he doesn't have the ammo for a big move.  I believe Beane thought that with Forrest Lamp and Jamil Douglas in FA, possible that Boettger could take a step and Feliciano or Ford improve after a full off season of training, he'd done enough.  He needed to succeed 2/5 shots.

IMHO Beane made a mistake not investing more in the OG position (draft or FA), but his FA dollars were limited and he had to make hard choices.  And I can see the logic of what he did do.

Man calm down.  I was going for some humor.  But since you brought it up... It's not really debatable that our o line has problems.

Im not mad at Beane.  Can only do so much in one season.  He chose to try and beef up the D line.  I don't have a problem with that.  I think his next move needs to hit on beefing up the o line.  Josh will end up Cam Newton if he constantly feels rushed like he is.  As mediocre as they are at pass blocking, they are even worse at run blocking.

Edited by Scott7975

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/11/02/is-the-washington-football-team-trying-to-swing-a-trade-for-mitchell-trubisky/

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/mitchell-trubisky-trade/

Just plopping these here. Don't know how reliable either of these are, but rumor has it Trubisky is a hot commodity right now.

Edited by Rockinon

5 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/2021/11/02/is-the-washington-football-team-trying-to-swing-a-trade-for-mitchell-trubisky/

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/mitchell-trubisky-trade/

Just plopping these here. Don't know how reliable either of these are, but rumor has it Trubisky is a hot commodity right now.

Heavy.com is the worst site.   They have click bait titles all the time

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Williams and Brown are by far the best RG and RT combo on the team. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

But the Refs don’t have an agenda?  That is the most egregious hands the the face penalty you’ll ever see and a ref has a clear line of sight to it.   

Thank you for the screen capture. I knew it had to be bad when I saw the helmet go flying. But wow. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel a bit bad for Lawrence, but part of me is Salty over the power of narrative.

And yet because of the "narrative" that Allen was "a parody of a first round draft pick" (see Josh Allen receipts thread) etc, the "narrative" his first year wasn't that the organization had mismanaged the situation and hadn't put enough talent around him; the narrative was that he sucked.

I can see why you are salty about the narratives but much of the media has had to eat crow degrading Allen except for a few doofuses like that Nick dude.

As for Lawrence, it's unfortunate that he gets hyped, then put in a terrible situation and questionable coaching with none of it his own doing. Some (not you) may say he has to grow up but he really is just a kid with a lot of expectations on his shoulders. Seems like a curse of talent. 

Of the two, Allen's situation was and is better - bashed by the media but a terrific coach and FO. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

You think he road to the SuperBowl is easier in the AFC?  There are 5 teams in the NFC that have a shot (Tampa, GB, Cardinals, Rams and Cowboys primarily) but in the AFC, there are at least 10 in the conversation  (Buffalo, Chiefs, Ravens, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Patriots,Titans, Raiders maybe Colts?)

Maybe you’re right that the NFC is more top heavy, but the AFC is much deeper in my opinion.

Wouldn’t top heavy matter more in the playoff scenario? Just my opinion but I’d absolutely move my team to the afc if I was one of these nfc playoff competitors and that was possible 😂 you’re almost guaranteed to have to beat the rams or the packers in the nfc championship and I can’t think of anyone comparable to either of those teams in the afc. Might be a little bit tougher matchup in an earlier round but I’d take that over having to run that gauntlet in the nfc 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

On 11/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, K-9 said:

Point is, there’s a bigger point to consider. 

Not as a fan, but you knew that already…, fans who talk 💩 don’t have one iota of effect on what happens in a game, ffs man…,

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.