Are the Bills classless for scoring a TD against the fins with 1:14 to go? Try too take your homer hat off and explain.

BuffaloBill

Are the Bills guilty of running up the score?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. The Miami homers are saying the Bills were classless for scoring a TD with 1:14 left on the clock and then going for 2 (score at the time was 20 - 11 - the fish also had no timeouts) - try to look at this objectively - did the Bills do the right thing? To make this interesting - multiple choice is allowed and your vote is public.

• The Bills had the right strategy for the right reasons (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should have taken a knee and let the clock run
    • The Bills should have done something else (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should not have attempted the 2-point conversion - not needed at that point

To get a first down and run out the clock Allen needed the 1 or 2 yard line, if say he needed the 5 or 6 then scoring could be seen as running it up

You expect a guy with defenders all over him to just drop? You expect a team to keep a team mathematically alive to win on a couple fluke plays? (Fluke/luck plays in my opinion are how it was that close to begin with)

Going for 2 you could have an issue with but I don't. Its the right call

The real question is if we kneel and just run the clock, do the phins do the same?

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Once upon a time the Bills scored 3 TD’s in 77 seconds against a John Elway-led squad. 

Sure, and there was the comeback game. But neither of those games required scoring 16 points with 1 minute left in the 4th Q with 0 timeouts.

It's pretty telling to me that the Dolphins didn't even try to score after we failed the 2 pt conversion. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I definitely think McDermott doesn't respect or like Flores.  I don't think it was classless but I don't think McDermott does that against a Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh, Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin etc...

im betting there was trash talking going on in the first half

7 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Sure, and there was the comeback game. But neither of those games required scoring 16 points with 1 minute left in the 4th Q with 0 timeouts.

It's pretty telling to me that the Dolphins didn't even try to score after we failed the 2 pt conversion. 

what game were you watching

17-3

17-11

20-11

26-11

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The TD no way. Bills couldn’t run the clock out without getting a first down. And all they did was call three straight runs. Miami just had to stop them. 

But the 2 point conversion attempt made no sense.

why do teams do 2 pt conversion attempts late in blow out games?. Real world practice.

by the book up by 15 you go fir 1 it’s still 2 score. Get 2 it’s certain 3 score at 17.

2 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

No problem with the TD or the two pointer really. I think with all our red zone woes so far, any practice at that end is fine by me. 

This is my take as well.  When it comes to "running up the score" or "classless scoring", that doesn't exist anymore in the NFL.  It's not about lack of sportsmanship, it's about being in certain situations where you can game time practice for certain situations that can happen in a playoff game or other close/important game.  I used to think this kind of thing was "cheap", but with it happening so often over the years, I understand and agree with getting experience in those situation.  I have no problem with it, nor when any other team does it.  Not talking from a homer point of view.

Is it classless?  I won’t go that far.

is it eye rolling ? Absolutely.

Especially JA17 “flexing” after the score.  I mean…how big is your inferiority complex?!

but that has been a staple for this team for a few years now.

no different than 2020 when Allen and Bills were dialing up Deep passing routes and keeping starters in in blowouts in 3rd/4th quarter games.

Also the reason Diggs and Beasley were injured for AFC Championship game.

so i expect them to continue to do it.  Fulfilling whatever psychological need or whatever they are lacking.

just hopefully it doesn’t burn them like it did in 2020.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

If the Fins had waved the white flag and agreed to kneel the ball down 4 times on their next possession, then I would agree with the Fin fans ... however this is professional football the offense is tasked with scoring as many points as possible and the defense is tasked with preventing the offense from scoring points.

For ANY fan base to say the opposing team should let up and give them a chance (however slim that may be) to get back in the game is laughable.

Strange things happen during the game of football, teams ARE capable of scoring 2 or three times in a matter of a minute or less. This happened with the Bills twice in my recollection once during the "Hedi game", and many Many years ago (against the Jets I think) where we scored something like 3 times in a matter of seconds.

Not at all.  The game was still in play.  The Bills couldn't run out the clock.  They aren't going to just hand possession over to the Dolphins in a 9-point game.  Are you kidding me?  For a bunch of fans whose feelings might be hurt because their favorite team lost by 15 instead of 9?

If they could have kneeled, thats a different story.

Going for 2 was the correct thing to do in light that a successful conversion would have completely ended the game right then and there.  With 1:07 on the clock and no timeouts, Miami had a sliver, miniscule chance of scoring 2 TDs and a 2PC and tying it.  There was 0 chance they score 3x

Just now, london_bills said:

I didn't understand the 2 point conversion, thought Mcdermott would be asked about it in the presser. 

It's automatic at that point in the game and with that score.  In theory, if the Bills get the 2 it becomes a 3 score game and the Bills win. If you kick the EP there is still a very slim chance that the Dolphins score 2 TD's in the last  minute and get 2 two point conversions and you're in OT. I've seen stranger things in my life of watching college & NFl football.

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

Can you explain the purpose of "Victory formation"

Case and thread open.

When you can run the clock out and win you do so.  The Bills clearly could not have done either of those things in that situation easily.  What were they supposed to do, get down to the half yard line and try and get the first down? 

Common sense isn't so common these days apparently.

Oh, are they playing to win the game or to protect the other teams feelings? I think it’s the former in this instance. 

Really, the Phins fans should direct their anger at Tua. Don’t throw a pick in your own end with the game on the line. I mean, I guess Poyer should’ve gone over to Tua and said, “Sorry for picking you off, kid. I’ll tell my coach to tell the offense to kneel on it for the last few minutes here. We wouldn’t wanna make you or your fans feel bad.” Get. Da. Fook. Outta. Here. Right meow!

Have these whiners tried not losing? Or perhaps not rooting for a bunch of aqua colored weenies who mail it in the minute they’re behind? That’s what’s really classless. That team has zero heart and Flores has completely lost the locker room. Well…bye. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.