Are the Bills classless for scoring a TD against the fins with 1:14 to go? Try too take your homer hat off and explain.

BuffaloBill

Are the Bills guilty of running up the score?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. The Miami homers are saying the Bills were classless for scoring a TD with 1:14 left on the clock and then going for 2 (score at the time was 20 - 11 - the fish also had no timeouts) - try to look at this objectively - did the Bills do the right thing? To make this interesting - multiple choice is allowed and your vote is public.

• The Bills had the right strategy for the right reasons (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should have taken a knee and let the clock run
    • The Bills should have done something else (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should not have attempted the 2-point conversion - not needed at that point

34 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The Dolphins are going to score three times with no timeouts and what 65 seconds left?  Get real.

To me the game was over when they made it 20-11 which made it a two score game. All day it was close. I thought I could relax when it was 17-3 but the Fins came right back to make it 17-11 and it was nervous time again. Have no problem getting the TD or going for 2 as it capped off the win. If the Fins are pissed then they should have stopped the Bills from scoring. 

• Like (+1) 1

The explanation is as simple as the Dolphins walking off with :18 on the clock. If winning is all that matters as a pro, then you play if you’re down. Maybe you don’t put Tu’a out there. Fine, but run a damn play. Your team is garbage, and you walk off the field and cry about the other team playing until the end; that’s why your locker room is trash, and your team will continue to be trash. 

Old Bills teams did this same thing, and it always drove me crazy. Your get beat by 15-20 and all you want is to get off the field. I get that. But these men are supposed to be the best of the best, nothing but the hunger for glory and Blah blah blah. Gladiators. Warriors. Cry babies. 

For any Bills fans who think the Bills did something wrong, at home, against a HISTORIC RIVAL, please re-examine the 70’s and the 80’s. If there was a way for them to have done an onside kick and scored again, I would have applauded for that as well.

The Dolphins, and their fans, can eat a big one, forever. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I know this is being discussed in the thread about the Miami board. I’ve given you a poll here with the opportunity to explain your election. The Bills in my opinion absolutely played this correctly including the two point conversion. If they convert the 2 then the game is a three score ordeal.

While the probability of the fins scoring twice in 1:14 with 0 timeouts is low it is possible. The Miami argument is the Bills could have run time off the clock and left the Fins deep on the field with no time outs. All well and good, but then the fins are only two crazy and lucky plays away from winning. They break one for a long TD and kick the EP. the score is then 20 -18. If they get an insides kick - they probably only need one play to get into FG range. Kick the FG and the Bills lose.

Absolute right call.  

1.  Points are a playoff and seeding tiebreaker.  

2. Yes only the score with the EP is a 2 score game, not impossible for fins to win, highly unlikely but not impossible. 

Correct call

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I never said it was classless and yes we will disagree.   

As others pointed out i certainly didnt want Josh exposed to a potentially  angry opponent on a near meaningless 2 pt conversion.  If Belichek had down what we did i think the responses here would be radically different.

Irrelevant, we won.

Bull pucky - last week Belichek put up over 50 points on an overmatched Jets team - including throwing deep passes mid 4th quarter with a back-up QB to score more points.

That was classic running up the score - where was the response - where was the anger.  Oops there wasn’t much - just as this is nothing.  It is football.

• Eyeroll 1

Anyone who has known me on here for some time knows I am no homer with my opinions, and tend to lean on the cynical, but I am here to defend scoring both the touchdown and going for 2.

1.  We've seen bigger leads disappear in our favor with less time on the clock in the past (see 77 second miracle), so if there's a chance, you bury that possibility.

2.  the Bills have been struggling this year mightily on 2 point conversions, and you have a chance to practice one in live game action where more points means harder for the opposition to orchestrate their own miracle comeback, you take that opportunity every time in my book.

All I saw there was a team making sure there was absolutely NO chance of a comeback.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I never said it was classless and yes we will disagree.   

As others pointed out i certainly didnt want Josh exposed to a potentially  angry opponent on a near meaningless 2 pt conversion.  If Belichek had down what we did i think the responses here would be radically different.

Irrelevant, we won.

Belichik has shown himself to be a classless kind of guy, where McDermott hasn't, and there have been plenty of instances where I felt Belichick's motivations were, let's just say, less than honorable.

Even so, If it were the exact same scenario, then my response wouldn't be different. It was purely about strategy.

The TD was on a 3rd and 6 from the 7 yard line with over a minute left. I don't see how anyone could complain about that. 

However, going for 2 was completely unnecessary. The Dolphins had no chance of winning. We can talk about hypotheticals and point out that teams have scored 2 TDs in <1 minute before, but how many times has a team overcome a 16 point deficit with 1 minute left in the 4th Quarter (and no timeouts)? Has it ever happened in NFL history? The Dolphins didn't even try to drive down the field to score after we failed the conversion.  

Honestly I think it was a bit unnecessary.

I don't think what they did was terrible.

But let's not forget we were in the Dolphins shoes not too long ago when New England scored at the end of games as the games were essentially over.

I don't personally have that much of an issue with it, but I know for a fact This board would blow up if they did something similar to us. (Especially after losing 7 straight to the same team)

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Good that they scored but they risked a TO. I may have run the clock down and kick FG. 23-11 with only seconds left or give ball back at that point. Up 9 with seconds left and having to score twice

A knee and then FG attempt would be at about 30 sec. 

Cowboys scored twice in last 13 sec or so to beat the Bills a few years back. 
the correct move is to run a safe play and try to score, then go up >2 scores with a 2 pt conversion. 

I don’t understand why this is such a difficult concept. 

• Like (+1) 1

Two point wasn't necessary, but I dont have any issues with them attempting it.  3 possession game closes it out for sure.  There is still a minute on the clock. You never know what might happen.  A score and two point makes it a one possession game.  Bills played to stomp out the fire, not hope it burns out on its own.  I'll never hate my team for doing it.

One team's offense is trying to score while the other team's defense is trying to prevent them from scoring. The offense succeeded. The defense failed. There was no reason to go for two really though. At that point I saw the attempt as an unnecessary risk. 

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The TD was on a 3rd and 6 from the 7 yard line with over a minute left. I don't see how anyone could complain about that. 

However, going for 2 was completely unnecessary. The Dolphins had no chance of winning. We can talk about hypotheticals and point out that teams have scored 2 TDs in <1 minute before, but how many times has a team overcome a 16 point deficit with 1 minute left in the 4th Quarter (and no timeouts)? Has it ever happened in NFL history? The Dolphins didn't even try to drive down the field to score after we failed the conversion.  

Silly argument. 
It’s never happened in NFL history until it does. 
like in 1991, no team had ever come back from a 32 point deficit, in either playoff or regular season. 
And then what happened?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Once upon a time the Bills scored 3 TD’s in 77 seconds against a John Elway-led squad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.