Are the Bills classless for scoring a TD against the fins with 1:14 to go? Try too take your homer hat off and explain.

BuffaloBill

Are the Bills guilty of running up the score?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. The Miami homers are saying the Bills were classless for scoring a TD with 1:14 left on the clock and then going for 2 (score at the time was 20 - 11 - the fish also had no timeouts) - try to look at this objectively - did the Bills do the right thing? To make this interesting - multiple choice is allowed and your vote is public.

• The Bills had the right strategy for the right reasons (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should have taken a knee and let the clock run
    • The Bills should have done something else (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should not have attempted the 2-point conversion - not needed at that point

7 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Oh no I’m pretty fair.

I eye roll and grab the vomit bag when a defender sacks a QB and does his celebration despite his team being down by 25 in the 4th or any other player.

you strike me as jealous of josh allen.  

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I know this is being discussed in the thread about the Miami board. I’ve given you a poll here with the opportunity to explain your election. The Bills in my opinion absolutely played this correctly including the two point conversion. If they convert the 2 then the game is a three score ordeal.

While the probability of the fins scoring twice in 1:14 with 0 timeouts is low it is possible. The Miami argument is the Bills could have run time off the clock and left the Fins deep on the field with no time outs. All well and good, but then the fins are only two crazy and lucky plays away from winning. They break one for a long TD and kick the EP. the score is then 20 -18. If they get an insides kick - they probably only need one play to get into FG range. Kick the FG and the Bills lose.

Bills could not run out the clock as they could not get a first down so must score a TD or kick FG(to make it 12 pt game so TD and FG can no longer beat you). Scoring TD running puts game completely out of reach and is less risky than kicking a FG with possibility of fluke block/td return.

Only error was game situational awareness. No reason to go for two even though the 2pt official book calls for it. Game was over no need to risk Allen on a pass play. He was tackled and legs tied up that's why he got mad. Stupid risk.

Oh and the spread was 15 lol. A win for Bills bettors turned into a push.

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Getting the TD was the right call.  That put us up 26-11 so 15 points.  Then going for 2 was smart because if by some miracle the Fish had scored two TDs (let's say a kickoff runback, then recover an onside with a Hail Mary) , the 2 point conversion would not have allowed them to tie.  

100% correct.  This should end the thread.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

During the 1970's the Fish dominated winning 20 straight. No one called Shula classless. Maybe Levy needed a little more bully and less historian in his diet. I don't think McD and Flores care for each other. Wasn't a fan of the 2pt attempt because it was completely unneccessary. But I'm not going to lose sleep over yesterday. Beat teams up like Belichick did constantly and don't apologize for it.

I can't be worried about a bunch of players who don't understand simple math.

Going for two makes it a three-score game and absolutely ices it.

Anyone who thinks "well, that would never happen" doesn't remember the McKelvin game or the Dallas game.

You have an opportunity to finish a game, you finish it.

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

During the 1970's the Fish dominated winning 20 straight. No one called Shula classless. Maybe Levy needed a little more bully and less historian in his diet. I don't think McD and Flores care for each other. Wasn't a fan of the 2pt attempt because it was completely unneccessary. But I'm not going to lose sleep over yesterday. Beat teams up like Belichick did constantly and don't apologize for it.

Levy wasn't the coach in the '70s.

If you're up three scores and are going for a fourth, that's classless.  This was not.

Teams have scored twice in a minute before.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is easy to me - the drive before at 20-11 were the Dolphins just downing the ball or were they trying to score.  They were trying to score - leading to the pick.  

If the Bills don’t score and kick a FG to go up 20-11 - do the Dolphins kneel or do they go out and try to score?  As long as they are still trying to score to get back into the game - you have to try and score to put it away.

Once they got the TD to go up 26-11 - the logical play is go for 2 - there is no real difference between 15 and 16 points - both are 2 scores.  The only difference is a 2 pt play moves it to 17 points and makes it 3 scores.  It is logical to go for 2 there once you score.

If the Dolphins didn’t want that potentially to happen - they could of just kneeled the series before and let the game play out.

Now if it had played out like the NE/NYJ game the week before - that was running up the score - the Bills were still in football range.

Exactly this.

If the Dolphins have shown that they're going to keep trying to score -- which they did -- then you do what you need to do to ensure that they can't tie the game. 

Specifically, if the Bills had run down the clock and kicked a field goal, it would have been a two score game. However unlikely it may have been, the Phins could have won it with a touchdown, recovered onsides kick, and another touchdown.

Instead, by doing what the Bills did (scoring a TD and going for two), the goal was to make it a three score game. The two point attempt wasn't just some "rubbing salt in the wound" thing. It was a strategic move aimed at making it so that the Phins couldn't score or win the game with two possessions, but would instead need three possessions to do so.

I trust that if the Phins had shown signs of throwing in the towel, the Bills would have done the same. Instead, the Phins -- understandably -- continued to try to win the game. At that point, the most strategically logical decision for the Bills was to try to put the game out of reach in order to snuff out a comeback, however unlikely said comeback may have been.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is no such thing as running up the score in Pro sports. Or even college sports for that matter. You dont like it, stop them. It would be more disrespectful to take a knee when we cant even run out the clock. And it isnt like we passed it in, Josh ran it in himself.

WRT the 2 point conversion, the math says do it to go up three scores, but even if it didnt I refer back to Woody Hayes...

When asked why he went for the two-point conversion instead of a field goal when Ohio State led Michigan 50-14 in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, Hayes reportedly said, “Because I couldn't go for 3”.

***** the Dolphins.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Bills could not run out the clock as they could not get a first down so must score a TD or kick FG(to make it 12 pt game so TD and FG can no longer beat you). Scoring TD running puts game completely out of reach and is less risky than kicking a FG with possibility of fluke block/td return.

Only error was game situational awareness. No reason to go for two even though the 2pt official book calls for it. Game was over no need to risk Allen on a pass play. He was tackled and legs tied up that's why he got mad. Stupid risk.

Oh and the spread was 15 lol. A win for Bills bettors turned into a push.

The situational awareness was 100% spot on. Puts you up 3 scores, not 2. That was the right call to make there 

• Like (+1) 1

We lost every game to them in one decade, so it’s like saying they should have at least given us one win ti be courteous!  Josh basically trotted in and 2-3 guys were right there who coukd have stopped him but lacked the heart to do it. Quitting is classless! 😀🍸

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, motorj said:

I'd say if you generally don't like other teams running up the score then you shouldn't like the bills doing something similar. Me personally never cared when teams ran it up vs the bills or other teams and have a play till the very end mentality

it begs the question though: just WHO is taking the most offense..the Players or the FANS. I think the players understand the game better than joeblo NFL fan ....The ease with which #17 accomplishes what he does its got to rankle the players yes........... but IMO players are more objective  than fans who react emotionally and cry and whine...PLUS they know he is Young and this is just the beginning...bwaahaahaaaa....... Look I get it. I am emotional as heck about my football team too.........It may be possible for some fans to be more objective and realistic as others...but bottom line winning is everything I think we all get that

GO BILLS

m

Edited by Muppy

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't mind the TD. I hated the 2 point play call. What were they thinking there? Anything but an Allen run in that situation. Miami was pissed off. 

F Miami and they’re entire fan base !!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.