Are the Bills classless for scoring a TD against the fins with 1:14 to go? Try too take your homer hat off and explain.

BuffaloBill

Are the Bills guilty of running up the score?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. The Miami homers are saying the Bills were classless for scoring a TD with 1:14 left on the clock and then going for 2 (score at the time was 20 - 11 - the fish also had no timeouts) - try to look at this objectively - did the Bills do the right thing? To make this interesting - multiple choice is allowed and your vote is public.

• The Bills had the right strategy for the right reasons (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should have taken a knee and let the clock run
    • The Bills should have done something else (explain in your comments)
    • The Bills should not have attempted the 2-point conversion - not needed at that point

22 minutes ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

I think the 2 was unnecessary.   Could it have to do with the spread?  Miami beat us all those years ago in the 70s but the grudge has lost its luster since Marino retired.  

Marino wasn’t even their QB during the streak if the 70’s.  That was Griese with help from Morrall, and Strock, and anyone else they put in their.  

Edited by Bob in STL

I can understand maybe why they might go for the touchdown, but I cannot justify the two-point try. 

The thing that bothers me is that they ran Josh in this situation, and especially that they exposed him to risk with the conversion try. The guy is basically the franchise, and any hope of a Super Bowl for the Bills rides on his shoulders. He's obviously going to expose himself to injury through his style of play, but I think it's foolhardy to do it unnecessarily. 

If I have a worry about the team, this is it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am not going to look it up but so they scored two touchdowns in 11 seconds?,  Sure it is possible but how.  Was it like the Bills where they were Lions were kicking off to them and they managed to score twice in 11 seconds?

20-11 Pre Allen run for all the whiners:

Turnover on downs. Tua drives down for a TD.

Onside kick and suddenly you are just driving 20 yards for a field goal to win it.

26-11 Post Allen run (2 pt conversion) for the people thinking it was unnecessary:

Kickoff return for td

Onside kick / drive down for td or hail mary

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I know this is being discussed in the thread about the Miami board. I’ve given you a poll here with the opportunity to explain your election. The Bills in my opinion absolutely played this correctly including the two point conversion. If they convert the 2 then the game is a three score ordeal.

While the probability of the fins scoring twice in 1:14 with 0 timeouts is low it is possible. The Miami argument is the Bills could have run time off the clock and left the Fins deep on the field with no time outs. All well and good, but then the fins are only two crazy and lucky plays away from winning. They break one for a long TD and kick the EP. the score is then 20 -18. If they get an insides kick - they probably only need one play to get into FG range. Kick the FG and the Bills lose.

As a coach he did right by his players and team.

If players have performance clauses and that touchdown or offense points help then good.

Getting game action reps in the red zone where we struggle is good.

I dont see a need to make a big deal out of it.

If the 2 point conversion was to be a smart ass then it was wrong.

Edited by Sharky7337

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I am not going to look it up but so they scored two touchdowns in 11 seconds?,  Sure it is possible but how.  Was it like the Bills where they were Lions were kicking off to them and they managed to score twice in 11 seconds?

Philly scored a touchdown, kicked off, Detroit fumbled, and Philly ran it in for the second touchdown. Again, is it likely to happen? No. But it does and it happened more than once this week.

If I felt the motivation was anything other than a numbers issue, I would call it classless. However, I don't think anyone who has followed McDermott at all, or has any understanding of the type of man he is, would believe for a second that he was trying to run up the score. 

Love the move, love Allen's ferocity that game.

It's the dolphins. Run them into the ground. They would have loved to do it to us.

Make it a guarantee, don't leave anything for chance.

That game had a lot of bickering by the players back and forth, especially Josh. Let our guys EAT. LETS GOOOOO

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Philly scored a touchdown, kicked off, Detroit fumbled, and Philly ran it in for the second touchdown. Again, is it likely to happen? No. But it does and it happened more than once this week.

If I felt the motivation was anything other than a numbers issue, I would call it classless. However, I don't think anyone who has followed McDermott at all, or has any understanding of the type of man he is, would believe for a second that he was trying to run up the score. 

So it was really two touchdowns in a span of 11 seconds, things like that happen frequently but two drives in 11 seconds extra ordinally unlikely or a complete drive and then force a turnover or onside kick and then score which us what Miami would have had to do in 67 seconds.   Is it possible yes, especially with the sloppy old bills but with todays coached Bills,  what are the odds, probably 1 in a million..

21 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The Dolphins are going to score three times with no timeouts and what 65 seconds left?  Get real.

No they are not - that is why you go for 2.  There is a chance they can score 2x in 65 seconds as that has been done many times in this league.

15 or 16 made no difference, but 17 does - so you go for 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Not even CLOSE to what Miami had to do.  So what if Detroit fumbled it and Philly ran it in for a score and it only took three seconds, are you going to tell me Miami could have scored two touchdown in 3 seconds.

Analogy fails.

• Disagree 1

Teams don't really believe that, only dumb fans who need something to be aggrieved about, and irritated bettors who got pipped by the late TD.

It's not like the game was 45-3 or something.

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not even CLOSE to what Miami had to do.  So what if Detroit fumbled it and Philly ran it in for a score and it only took three seconds, are you going to tell me Miami could have scored two touchdown in 3 seconds.

Analogy fails.

It's as bad as that point spread at the end of the game, must have been a real blowout.

They couldnt run the clock out.  They ran a run play and Allen scored.  The 2 point conversion makes it a 3 possession game.  Crazy things happen.  2 scores have happened under a minute.  3 no chance.  I like the killer instinct to score.  The defense the coaches are paid millions of dollars.  They cant stop em its on them.  

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Analogy fails.

Miami got the ball back with over a minute left. If you can't understand that a team can score two TDs in a minute in ways other than sustained drives, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Like I said, you can disagree with the strategy. But, if the strategy is, indeed the motivation, then it is not classless.

Edited by billsfan1959

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Analogy fails.

The Bills had already muffed 1 KO on the day and a lucky recovery by Kumerow - kept Miami from scoring 10 points in 3-5 seconds.

The Bills have also had additional muffed kick-offs and a kickoff bounce backwards right to a kicker - so yes it would have been possible.

There are many scenarios with Kick returns for TDs.  A broken tackle for TD, A Hail Mary where Parker or Gesicki out jumps some Bills.

There was no reason not to go for 2 - missing it kept you up by 2 TDs and at least one 2 pt conversion.  A made 2pt conversion meant 3 scores.

It was the right call analytically to end the game.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Miami got the ball back with over a minute left. If you can't understand that a team can score two TDs in a minute in ways other than sustained drives, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Like I said you can disagree with the strategy. But, if the strategy is, indeed the motivation, then it is not clasless.

I never said it was classless and yes we will disagree.   

As others pointed out i certainly didnt want Josh exposed to a potentially  angry opponent on a near meaningless 2 pt conversion.  If Belichek had down what we did i think the responses here would be radically different.

Irrelevant, we won.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

The Bills had already muffed 1 KO on the day and a lucky recovery by Kumerow - kept Miami from scoring 10 points in 3-5 seconds.

The Bills have also had additional muffed kick-offs and a kickoff bounce backwards right to a kicker - so yes it would have been possible.

There are many scenarios with Kick returns for TDs.  A broken tackle for TD, A Hail Mary were Parker or Gesicki out jumps some Bills.

There was no reason not to go for 2 - missing it kept you up by 2 TDs and at least one 2 pt conversion.  A made 2pt conversion meant 3 scores.

It was the right call analytically to end the game.

Are you going to beat this debate with hypotheticals  over and over again?  I got it it already.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.