The reason for so many run plays on early downs

JohnNord

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think on the one Singletary play Ike was tossed by Wilkins on his backside into Devin's feet when pulling. Devin had no where to go with Ike wrecked at his feet on his right and Morse's butt on his left and Wilkins in front of him. Either way, pretty shoddy play.

I think the combo you mentioned may be their best with Brown back, but the lack of quality G investment is hurting this team.

I think Devin just loves Mitch's ass. He buries his head in it once a game. Kinky. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

nah, the bills play calling was fine as Phins were denying the passing game; Davis and Wilkins are just DT monsters (Davis was out the first meeting) and did in the first half what Cameron Heyward did week one:  blew up the middle of a fairly soft O line middle.  Smart defensive strategy and it worked until later in the second half. 

Watch, Tampa will do the exact same thing as Bills have no answer for Vita Vea and N Suh.    Middle of Bills Oline is pretty soft, built for pass pro and stretch plays, not going to blow anyone off the ball straight up.   Daboll/Josh will need to make do until Beane can get a couple more tough guy o lineman during offseason and draft.  Is what it is. 

I think that's my point.  I just think the Bills need to call more of the stuff early on that they did in the 2nd half to finally loosen things up.  If no interior OL help is coming this season, don't waste possessions on an early-down inside running game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

I think it’s clear at this point in the season that teams believe they can win the one-on-one matchups with the Bills’ interior OL.  They’d rather put more bodies back to defend the big play.  It is a scheme that works to a certain extent (since the interior OL has been putrid) but if your offense can’t take advantage of the early stops and put points on the board then eventually Allen and Daboll are going to figure it out.

Is Bobby Johnson just a poor OL coach, or is it the talent?  That’s the big question in my mind.

Both....our OL talent is terrible especially at run blocking and I doubt Johnson is doing anything to change that. Plus Josh masks so many flaws from the OL that we tend to not focus on it as much. Our entire draft might have to be OL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Why don't the Bills go back to dictating what they want to do and not rely on what the defense is trying to do. Last year they had no problem throwing on "light boxes" yet this year they feel the need to do something the Bills are not good at. 

It's what I was afraid of when people kept saying "They need to run the ball more" 

No, they don't... They need to do what they are good at.

I agree up to a point, but in addition to doing what they're good at, they need to improve on things they're not good at. Last year's strategy got exposed in the AFCCG. We need to improve the running game if we're going to take home the big trophy.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I mean the Bills are consistently one of the teams with the highest percentage of passes on first downs in the NFL. It was likely something in the matchup they wanted to see if they could attack. They couldn't.

^^^^^^

This.

A team like Buffalo is going to try and taint the tendencies in a game like this to cause future opponents to consider what tactically to prepare for.

The trouble in this case, the Bills are so abysmal at 1st down running that a team will know they can key pass coverage and feel confident that, even if the Bills do call runs, they will bottle it up with 4 DL and a LB (or 3 and 2).

Unless it's Allen. He's the wild card. And the QB draws called were not very imaginative. Thus they were saving their best for better.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I think it’s clear at this point in the season that teams believe they can win the one-on-one matchups with the Bills’ interior OL.  They’d rather put more bodies back to defend the big play.  It is a scheme that works to a certain extent (since the interior OL has been putrid) but if your offense can’t take advantage of the early stops and put points on the board then eventually Allen and Daboll are going to figure it out.

Is Bobby Johnson just a poor OL coach, or is it the talent?  That’s the big question in my mind.

Johnson has yet to impress me all that much, it is almost like he and Dabol don’t communicate very well, as the outcomes of running plays say as much, not discounting line play/execution.

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Why don't the Bills go back to dictating what they want to do and not rely on what the defense is trying to do. Last year they had no problem throwing on "light boxes" yet this year they feel the need to do something the Bills are not good at. 

It's what I was afraid of when people kept saying "They need to run the ball more" 

No, they don't... They need to do what they are good at.

I was actually less upset at running it on 1st and 10 than I was with Allen taking a deep shot into good coverage on 2nd and 9,  only to leave us with 3rd and long. This offense needs to learn how to play for the first down sometimes. Can't get a touchdown without a first down. Brady talks about that all time, you just need 10 yards and then you can reset over and over again. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The problem of having a poor OL is that teams can refrain from blitzing and still generate pressure.  Or lineup in a nickel and still stop the run.  

True, but Miami blitzed very heavily yesterday.  Josh finally started to beat it some in the second half.  He was getting no help from the line, but 6 and 7 man blitzes we’re pretty common leading to very poor execution in the pass game, particularly the first half.