Blockbuster trade?

McBean

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

I would love to get Norwell, but I don't think an OL qualifies as "blockbuster," although he would be the best addition, IMO.  I think "blockbuster" has to be a good name, and per the OP, one that would also help.  

The following might fit that criteria: 

1.  DJ Metcalf.  not sure how we'd get him, (Davis and a 2nd?), but man, that would be something.  

2.  D. Cook (RB).  Yeah, he is oft-injured, and the price is ridiculous, but he'd up the running game.  The OL is bad, but not the sole reason.  We have 2 backup RB's rotating as starters.  

3.  K. Mack or DE. Hunter.  Pass rush upgrade would put the D on another level.  

Mack and Hunter are both hurt.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Find a G or LB or Both, that’s the weakness of this team.

LB?  Are you serious?  We play nickel 99% of the time.  Milano and Edmunds aren’t going to be replaced gone we trade for.  Did you mean G and CB?  We could upgrade cb2…..but I don’t see any reason to upgrade Lb

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, NewEra said:

LB?  Are you serious?  We play nickel 99% of the time.  Milano and Edmunds aren’t going to be replaced gone we trade for.  Did you mean G and CB?  We could upgrade cb2…..but I don’t see any reason to upgrade Lb

CB would be nice too, but yes, a LB is still needed and I pray the McD sees what everyone else does in Edmunds and has the balls to replace him in the off-season.

• Vomit 1

6 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Yeah, like that guy Nelson for example. Whenever I get to see them I focus on him. Great guard play is a beautiful thing. I can see why he went 6 overall.

They aren’t trading nelson

Just now, DCofNC said:

CB would be nice too, but yes, a LB is still needed and I pray the McD sees what everyone else does in Edmunds and has the balls to replace him in the off-season.

Zero chance of this happening.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

They aren’t trading nelson

Zero chance of this happening.  

I fear as much, hopefully he gets an overwhelming offer in FA and save the Bills like all the other mediocre LBs fans clung to.  Won’t be this off-season, but I can still have hope for the next year.

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I fear as much, hopefully he gets an overwhelming offer in FA and save the Bills like all the other mediocre LBs fans clung to.  Won’t be this off-season, but I can still have hope for the next year.

I’ll be the first to criticize 49, but I don’t think he’s a problem that needs to be solved in order to win the SB.  

IOL certainly is.

Levi might be.

Haack could also ruin us. 
I wish we had a better TE2, but i doubt that keeps us from a title. 

15 hours ago, McBean said:

If you could make one blockbuster trade before Tuesday without looking at the numbers, who would you want?

This is just for fun and would love to hear the 1 player everybody thinks that could win us a Super Bowl this season.

I’ll go first:

DALVIN COOK

Vikings are done. Zimmer is getting fired. Cook would make this offense unstoppable. He would take so much pressure off Allen. Look at the Titans and Tannehill. #1 seed right now with Ryan freakin Tannehill. Why? Teams always have to watch for #22. The run sets up so much. 

Who’s your 1 player?

I would go for Brandon Scherff, OG from the WFT.

1) some connections between McDermott/Beane/Rivera to help grease the wheels

2) WFT 2-6 and would be trading across conferences, so there's that

3) WFT could use draft picks or maybe a combination of a pick and a defensive lineman.  WFT seems to have a bit of a culture problem where their top picks under-produce, so maybe they would be interested in a "culture change" player like Butler or Obada?

4) Scherff is coming back from knee injury, so they've been playing without him (but then again, 4 straight losses with him out so maybe they figure he's a difference maker to their OL play)

I don't think any RB is going to contribute much until/unless we fix our OL play

13 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

What would motivate the Colts to do that? Sincerely asking. Is Nelson not likely to re-sign there? How is Ford a valuable asset? 

Some of these suggestions are "SMH" quality

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

"Dear God, I know what I'm looking at in the broadcast view.  McDermott doesn't see how bad Edmunds really is because he doesn't understand the linebacker position.  Please allow McDermott to think like me."

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Nelius said:

Dude in that scenario I'd just go cheaper and steal Alexander Mattison, who looks nearly just as good as Cook but so far without the inevitable mid-season injury. Just wait, it's coming. Mattison will once again be a fantasy darling in Week 13 or whatever when Cook's hip or knee or ankle goes out again.

Mattison looks good in cleanup duty.  Kind of like how James Conner looked good filling in for Bell.  

I know it has been discussed here, but I would absolutely pursue a star RB this year. I think realistically, the only RB that could be traded for that would actually help us is Barkley. I would trade out 1st round pick and a player. I would then sit Barkley for the next 5 weeks to heal up and then slowly incorporate him into the offense just before the playoff run. Our offense is a star RB away from being unstoppable, even with our issues on the Oline. Barkley can catch out of the backfield, so we can mask some of those issues. CMC is the only other RB I would consider realistically trading for. I think I would do it, because next years draft for RBs is not very good and neither is the FA. Our team is built for a super bowl right now, and I would definitely pull the trigger for a game changing RB. We had one with Thurman, and I think Saquon could be our Thurman. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’ll be the first to criticize 49, but I don’t think he’s a problem that needs to be solved in order to win the SB.  

IOL certainly is.

Levi might be.

Haack could also ruin us. 
I wish we had a better TE2, but i doubt that keeps us from a title. 

I don't think Edumonds is a problem for this team, he is a good MLB who works within the system. He isn't a great player but he is a net positive on the team in my opinion. TE2 isn't an issue as I actually think Sweeney is a decent backup and with Gabe Davis the team has other players they can shift TE targets to. Haack has been a poor punter thus far (most ranks I see him in the mid to late 20's) whereas Bojo by comparison is ranked top 10 in most punting categories. But I think this team can survive a below average punter. Levi I don't see as an issue, could this team add some depth at CB? I guess, I don't know who is behind Dane Jackson but adding a 5th CB as some depth isn't bad but McD seems to be able to find some players there that work in the system home grown. I don't see it being an area they address. 

That only leaves Guard as an issue. If Brown can come back kicking in D.Williams in my opinion gets you capable play at one guard spot. At the other guard spot however you have Mongo who is not tragic like Cody Ford but is a below average player (after turning in two seasons where his play ranged from average to above average, definitely think the weight loss hurt him.) The other internal options to replace Mongo are Ike, Ford and Bates. Ford looked like a marginal backup when out there he is a complete desperation option who should stay on the bench. 

Ike and Bates are your only real options currently on the roster. I think they like to have Bates on the bench as he can play all five positions in a pinch. Which only leaves Ike out there as a possible option. I know most on here hate Ike for some reason but I thought he played at least at a startling caliber level last season and he was a big piece as to why the O-line got better to end the season. I would put Mongo on the bench and start Ike, there isn't a trade coming for a guard unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, WMDman said:

What time is the trade deadline tomorrow?

4 PM EST. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think Edumonds is a problem for this team, he is a good MLB who works within the system. He isn't a great player but he is a net positive on the team in my opinion. TE2 isn't an issue as I actually think Sweeney is a decent backup and with Gabe Davis the team has other players they can shift TE targets to. Haack has been a poor punter thus far (most ranks I see him in the mid to late 20's) whereas Bojo by comparison is ranked top 10 in most punting categories. But I think this team can survive a below average punter. Levi I don't see as an issue, could this team add some depth at CB? I guess, I don't know who is behind Dane Jackson but adding a 5th CB as some depth isn't bad but McD seems to be able to find some players there that work in the system home grown. I don't see it being an area they address. 

That only leaves Guard as an issue. If Brown can come back kicking in D.Williams in my opinion gets you capable play at one guard spot. At the other guard spot however you have Mongo who is not tragic like Cody Ford but is a below average player (after turning in two seasons where his play ranged from average to above average, definitely think the weight loss hurt him.) The other internal options to replace Mongo are Ike, Ford and Bates. Ford looked like a marginal backup when out there he is a complete desperation option who should stay on the bench. 

Ike and Bates are your only real options currently on the roster. I think they like to have Bates on the bench as he can play all five positions in a pinch. Which only leaves Ike out there as a possible option. I know most on here hate Ike for some reason but I thought he played at least at a startling caliber level last season and he was a big piece as to why the O-line got better to end the season. I would put Mongo on the bench and start Ike, there isn't a trade coming for a guard unfortunately. 

4 PM EST. 

Good post.  I agree for the most part.  

Regarding the bolded…..mongos play the last 2 season ranged from pathetic to above average.  The bottom of his spectrum was most definitely NOT average.  

Haack lost us one game already.  He can do it again. 

We’ll see about Levi.  More bad than good yesterday imo.  More good than bad this year.  I’ve been happy with him for the most part.  Still not sold on him.  

I don’t know anyone can say they’ve seen enough of Sweeney to think that he’s an adequate #2.  I’m not saying that he definitely isn’t.  I’m saying that I’d rather have a proven TE2.  A TE2 that will allow us to play more 2TE sets confidently.  We rarely ever run 2TE sets and I think our lack of a good TE2 could be part of the reason.  I could be totally wrong.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.