Someone needs to address the Jerry Hughes blackball issue.

LABILLBACKER

13 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Sad but true!  It opens the question about NFL officials.  IF they can ignore all the holding Hughes receives they certainly can give breaks to Mahomes, Brady etc. in key spots of a game.  

They do that for ad revenue and nothing more. In Jerry's case he simply pissed them off, so an unwritten memo went out among the ref brethren. McD has to be aware of this narrative. 

• Like (+1) 1

The refs don't hate Hughes.  They aren't these retaliation/revenge type of people.  They miss calls, it happens.

I've referred sports and have had players/fans/coaches on my ass about stuff...you're too focused on the game to care that they're on your ass.  

They are missing it because they missed the call.  He's had favorable calls too.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

If you think he is useless……

you have absolute no clue what you’re watching out there.  Seriously man……you think he’s been useless???? 

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

Maybe useless is a little extreme, but his production vs salary has been out of whack for awhile. I haven’t really seen him as an impactful player since Schwartz was here. We’ve all watched him be flagged 15 for smacking his own teammates helmet lol, and we’ve all seen his speed rush where he’s basically tackled and never gets the call. For him, his career, and stats I think he would of been better off somewhere else the last few years. I respect he’s the only one who was good enough to really hang on all these years here through the rebuilds 

10 hours ago, Motorin' said:

A lot of times when the refs call illegal hands to the face, the lineman gets his hands up there and holds it for a long time.

On this play, the RT violently punches Groot in the face and his helmet pops right off. The punch only lasted a fraction of a second, so it's more likely that the refs didn't see it than having a personal reason not to call penalties that happen to Groot. 

This could just be me, but I think when a lineman has his helmet go flying off, something illegit probably happened to cause that occurrance

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, benderbender said:

Hughes reminds me of Bruce with his quickness and dogged determination. When he's on, and focused, he is the second coming of Bruce. What doesn't remind me of Bruce is his apparent uncoachable habit of over pursuing and getting way out his run fits/rush lanes.

When was the last time he had a Bruce Smith caliber game?

Hughes is a good player. But he is nowhere close to the elite echelon of pass rushers. Those guys finish. Hughes does not. He gets some pressures, but he does not get enough impact plays and he hasn't for years.

I'll be very disappointed if we resign him, not because I think he is a bad player or anything, but because I want to give the young guys a shot to develop and see if they can become guys who make the impact plays and can do more than just pressure.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, benderbender said:

Hughes reminds me of Bruce with his quickness and dogged determination. When he's on, and focused, he is the second coming of Bruce. What doesn't remind me of Bruce is his apparent uncoachable habit of over pursuing and getting way out his run fits/rush lanes

I have to question if you ever watched Bruce Smith play... At no point in Hughes playing career has he ever had the same level of quickness Bruce had.   Bruce used to completely take over games when he was on... That's never happened with Hughes 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Write a stern letter to the NFL! voila addressed.

NFL headquarters address is 345 Park Avenue 5th Floor New York, NY 10154 United States.  Added for the benefit of those interested in pursuing this method of remedying the situation.

😁

Strong letter to 'The Times'? 🤔

The Petition Site?  'Justice for Jerry Hughes!' would fit right in with 'End Clearcut Logging!' and 'Stop Using Ducklings as Badminton Birdies!'.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Officiating in the NFL is terrible, and the game has become far too complex and rule driven.

It's overly regulated.  I'd love to see that changed.

Check out the helmet to helmet hit in cincy v jets. Jets rb intiated the hit with his helmet on the cincy player and cincy was flagged. Gave the jets the first down needed to ice the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Check out the helmet to helmet hit in cincy v jets. Jets rb intiated the hit with his helmet on the cincy player and cincy was flagged. Gave the jets the first down needed to ice the game. 

Call like the one you mentioned aren't just routine bad calls.  They can change the outcome of games, and in a tough competitive league that can be the difference between a team making or not making the playoffs.  The NFL is still a lot better than WWE but sometimes it's just laughable.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This could just be me, but I think when a lineman has his helmet go flying off, something illegit probably happened to cause that occurrance

I think everyone had that same reaction. I'm just leaning towards the refs not seeing the actual foul vs. they saw the foul and didn't call it to stick it to the Bills or Groot.

I replayed it again a few times in slow mo, and Groot actually gets a line on Tua with no helmet on and the RT rakes Groot's face. 

There was 2 distinct personal fouls not called. 

Edited by Motorin'

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I think everyone had that same reaction. I'm just leaning towards the refs not seeing the actual foul vs. they saw the foul and didn't call it to stick it to the Bills or Groot.

The thing is, all the time refs call fouls they didn't actually see because they see something that appears to be the likely result of a foul.

I'm not a "conspiracy theorist" but my bottom line is that I want the ref'ing to be consistent, and I feel the last 2 games have not been that thing.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is, all the time refs call fouls they didn't actually see because they see something that appears to be the likely result of a foul.

I'm not a "conspiracy theorist" but my bottom line is that I want the ref'ing to be consistent, and I feel the last 2 games have not been that thing.

Can't argue with that... I also want to know, isn't there an "eye in the sky" replay official that's supposed to see things like punches being thrown and helmets being ripped off?

19 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

IMO, the Hughes bias is over.  The refs miss stuff all the time and it is not blatant, intentional, conspiracy stuff.

However, not calling the Offside when Josh has them is starting to piss me off.  The top 10 QBs get those all the time.  They are not giving it to Josh.

Was a crucial non-call against Pitt -end of 3rd qtr- had 'em and no call.  So started 4th w 2nd and 10 instead of first and 5.  Was big miss IMO.

Happened again today.  Josh caught him in the neutral zone, got the ball hiked - and then no flag.  And these hurried plays are usually less effective, so not getting the call has a kind of double whammy affect - poor play and no call.  Today's was the grounding debacle.

Then to piss me off more, the announcers tried to claim it would have made offsetting penalties and the play would have been done over.  Remember this was on the grounding call.  I find that hard to believe.  In any event, even offsetting would have been much better than this missed call.

The refs need to start giving Josh/Bills the call when they have them in the neutral zone.  It's really starting to irritate me.

Miami also had a false start at least 3 times go uncalled.  These should be the easiest calls to make.

10 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Bengals absolutely got screwed on that play.  Has to be one of the worst calls of the year if it isn't the worst.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Can't argue with that... I also want to know, isn't there an "eye in the sky" replay official that's supposed to see things like punches being thrown and helmets being ripped off?

There's no transparency in the process and it doesn't exist for legitimate reasons. The NFL just uses it (or doesn't use it) to help get their desired outcome.

6 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Without transparency, that's certainly the way it appears. 

The short-lived minor leagues of the AAF and XFL did it right. The refs let the players play while only calling obvious penalties. The replay review process was quick and transparent. Even if you didn't agree with it, you at least heard their discussion. The NFL, seemingly out of pride and arrogance, chooses not to implement these simple measures. 

I love the Bills and NFL football, but I was rooting for those other leagues to succeed. I'm pretty jaded by the NFL's system. Even a little bit of competition would be a good thing.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.