Someone needs to address the Jerry Hughes blackball issue.

LABILLBACKER

16 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Maybe useless is a little extreme, but his production vs salary has been out of whack for awhile. I haven’t really seen him as an impactful player since Schwartz was here. We’ve all watched him be flagged 15 for smacking his own teammates helmet lol, and we’ve all seen his speed rush where he’s basically tackled and never gets the call. For him, his career, and stats I think he would of been better off somewhere else the last few years. I respect he’s the only one who was good enough to really hang on all these years here through the rebuilds 

It seems to me that production only = sacks in your mind.  Maybe I’m wrong about that, if so, explain.

imo, production = pressure on the QB.  Jerry does this very well.

13 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I have to question if you ever watched Bruce Smith play... At no point in Hughes playing career has he ever had the same level of quickness Bruce had.   Bruce used to completely take over games when he was on... That's never happened with Hughes 

Bruce was longer and more physical than Jerry.  People forget, Bruce was 300 pounds as a rookie before Darryl Talley and his eventual wife Carmen got on him about his training habits. He also played all three downs, and often tied up two blockers if they ran to his side.

26 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Bruce was longer and more physical than Jerry.  People forget, Bruce was 300 pounds as a rookie before Darryl Talley and his eventual wife Carmen got on him about his training habits. He also played all three downs, and often tied up two blockers if they ran to his side.

That's true.  Jerry only ties up one holder at a time.  You never see an opposing O line dedicate two men to holding Jerry.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/31/2021 at 5:22 PM, Mr. WEO said:

But let's just say it's Hughes so we can enjoy this type of thread every week!!

Refs don't have it in for Hughes.  

No, they do. There is no other explanation for the amount of missed blatant holds. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, swimtoga said:

No, they do. There is no other explanation for the amount of missed blatant holds. 

hmmmm what do you think?  How does it work?  Do the refs have a meeting before the game at their hotel to get their method of not calling holds on Hughes every week?  Who is coordinating all the crews to stay in script every week?  Is there a memo that goes out? Are there emails that will be leaked?!

tell us!!

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

hmmmm what do you think?  How does it work?  Do the refs have a meeting before the game at their hotel to get their method of not calling holds on Hughes every week?  Who is coordinating all the crews to stay in script every week?  Is there a memo that goes out? Are there emails that will be leaked?!

tell us!!

Probably along the lines of the Blue Wall of Silence. He got one them suspended and he never gets a hold call. Not that big of a stretch. Please dont bother responding if you’re just going to spew a lot of  literary diarrhea with out actually saying anything like a child.

23 minutes ago, swimtoga said:

Probably along the lines of the Blue Wall of Silence. He got one them suspended and he never gets a hold call. Not that big of a stretch. Please dont bother responding if you’re just going to spew a lot of  literary diarrhea with out actually saying anything like a child.

So their league wide conspiracy against one player is based on….silence.  Maybe they use telepathy?  

You might be onto something.  If I were you I would say nothing…best way to spread the word!

On 10/31/2021 at 4:46 PM, UConn James said:

The refs and refs union HATE Jerry with a passion.

Getting that ref suspended for calling him a b-word on-field and the altercation in the tunnel is always going to color how he is seen. They ignore when he gets absolutely mauled, like the almost-sack of Tua early, and they had been quick to toss yellow on him… although less so this year.

I’ve been advocating to move on from Jerry for a couple of seasons now. What he brings is just not worth what he costs in terms of ref-hate. He’s doubtful to be re-signed after this season, given Beane’s draft investment in DE/DL.

55 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So their league wide conspiracy against one player is based on….silence.  Maybe they use telepathy?  

You might be onto something.  If I were you I would say nothing…best way to spread the word!

How long ago did your wife leave you?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:25 PM, Einstein's Dog said:

Then to piss me off more, the announcers tried to claim it would have made offsetting penalties and the play would have been done over.

One of the network refs said later that the IG being a major foul would have overridden the offside and it would still be Fish ball, no offsetting.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:58 PM, Motorin' said:

He seems like the kind of guy that never complains about anything. Which is refreshing. He didn't even lose a step rushing while helmetless. 

But yeah, that was 1000% a personal foul, and wish he could have drawn some attention to it. 

Is there a GIF of the play?  Helmets come from time to  time, I did not see any closeups on the broadcast.

11 hours ago, swimtoga said:

How long ago did your wife leave you?

“Literary diarrhea” “childlike”

clearly, irony is lost on you. 

Some might PM you, others might report you, I’ll just let your original posts and the one above simply stand as  the best representation of the alpha and omega of your intellect. 

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

One of the network refs said later that the IG being a major foul would have overridden the offside and it would still be Fish ball, no offsetting.

What?  I find that even harder to believe.  Sounds like they were just making stuff up to help alleviate the injustice of not calling the obvious Offside.

If true, Josh will need to learn for the future to just take the sack.  Then when the Offside is called the Bills can at least get the 5 yards.  

An IG should not be in the same class as a Personal Foul.  An IG is usually a harmless attempt at avoiding a sack.  At most it should be offsetting.

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What?  I find that even harder to believe.  Sounds like they were just making stuff up to help alleviate the injustice of not calling the obvious Offside.

If true, Josh will need to learn for the future to just take the sack.  Then when the Offside is called the Bills can at least get the 5 yards.  

An IG should not be in the same class as a Personal Foul.  An IG is usually a harmless attempt at avoiding a sack.  At most it should be offsetting.

It's the loss of down that makes it a biggie.

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's the loss of down that makes it a biggie.

Yes, but the whole premise of the IG was to not allow a throw away to avoid a sack.  And the penalty/call of IG was to create a situation as if the sack took place.  In the instance of an Offside though if it was a just a sack then the play could be avoided and the Offside accepted.

IMO, the idea that the Offside can be negated by an IG call is bad.  And now they're saying an IG call overrides the Offside, that would be very a poor rule.  If true, I hope they change that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.