Someone needs to address the Jerry Hughes blackball issue.

LABILLBACKER

Someone needs to address why the entire league of refs refuse to do their job with regard to Jerry Hughes. This is beyond blatant. They've decided collectively to screw him because of his history of complaining.  Today in the 1st quarter he was blatantly held around his neck. Later in the game he has his helmet completely torn off as the announcers were waiting for a flag. No matter how hard he plays these cowards refuse to do their job. Shawn Smith and his crew are disgraces. And frankly so are the rest of these candy ass es.

• Like (+1) 21
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 27
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Just now, Motorin' said:

I thought it was Hughes that had his helmet ripped off. But it was Groot. 

I thought it was Groot but everybody talked me out of it.

Thanks for the confirmation. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The refs and refs union HATE Jerry with a passion.

Getting that red suspended for calling him a b-word on-field and the altercation in the tunnel is always going to color how he is seen. They ignore when he gets absolutely mauled, like the almost-sack of Tua early, and they had been quick to toss yellow on him… although less so this year.

I’ve been advocating to move on from Jerry for a couple of seasons now. What he brings is just not worth what he costs in terms of ref-hate. He’s doubtful to be re-signed after this season, given Beane’s draft investment in DE/DL.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't believe officiating often 'gives' a game to one team or the other. I understand they can't get every call right. However, I expect consistency. If you're going to call something or not call something then it needs to be as consistent as possible throughout the game. 

Watching the NFL this year, the officiating is the least consistent I have ever seen. It's ridiculous. 

• Agree 6

#55 still a lot to this team. He opens things up for others, still gets pressure and the odd forced fumble not to mention his leadership is highly regarded by coaches and players. I'm convinced that a lot of posters just look at the box score and not actual games. Star was called useless a lot until he wasn't here last year and people saw the drop off from other players that benefit from his play. Hughes is the same, he will be missed when he's gone.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I rewound during a commercial and confirmed it was Groot. 

Great now Groot's not getting calls....it's just so infuriating.  We watched this develop for years. Every single OC in the league is aware of this blackball. Just tell your lineman to do anything and everything. It's like playing with 10 no matter how much effort Jerry puts in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Great now Groot's not getting calls....it's just so infuriating.  We watched this develop for years. Every single OC in the league is aware of this blackball. Just tell your lineman to do anything and everything. It's like playing with 10 no matter how much effort Jerry puts in.

A lot of times when the refs call illegal hands to the face, the lineman gets his hands up there and holds it for a long time.

On this play, the RT violently punches Groot in the face and his helmet pops right off. The punch only lasted a fraction of a second, so it's more likely that the refs didn't see it than having a personal reason not to call penalties that happen to Groot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why would anything change now?

Its probably his last year.. 

Jerry deserves to be a Bill for life (sans trade). He’s still got a decent amount of juice left. I really hope they can make something happen that works for everybody for another season or two. I’d hate to him in another jersey. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

I thought it was Groot but everybody talked me out of it.

Thanks for the confirmation. :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I rewound during a commercial and confirmed it was Groot. 

I was telling my dad after that replay, either his helmet was on REALLY loose,  or someone (likely from the Dolphins) tore it off.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

Jerry deserves to be a Bill for life (sans trade). He’s still got a decent amount of juice left. I really hope they can make something happen that works for everybody for another season or two. I’d hate to him in another jersey. 

I agree with you… really have rated him as a Bill…but just can’t see the refs changing now 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I agree with you… really have rated him as a Bill…but just can’t see the refs changing now 

I know it might be too late to turn this around for Jerry. He's played great this season even though the stats may not reflect it. You have to have some integrity in your league and it's refs. McD has to address this in some manner. The refs are part of a "good ole boys club" that wields more power than you think. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I’ve said this for years. I like jerry as a player, but he’s been kinda useless for us for the last 3+ years. He’s held constantly and never gets a call, he would of been better off somewhere else imo. 

If you think he is useless……

you have absolute no clue what you’re watching out there.  Seriously man……you think he’s been useless???? 

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

58 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I don't believe officiating often 'gives' a game to one team or the other. I understand they can't get every call right. However, I expect consistency. If you're going to call something or not call something then it needs to be as consistent as possible throughout the game. 

Watching the NFL this year, the officiating is the least consistent I have ever seen. It's ridiculous. 

They are very consistent with how they referee Jerry.  It’s probably the most consistent thing in the league tbh

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

A lot of times when the refs call illegal hands to the face, the lineman gets his hands up there and holds it for a long time.

On this play, the RT violently punches Groot in the face and his helmet pops right off. The punch only lasted a fraction of a second, so it's more likely that the refs didn't see it than having a personal reason not to call penalties that happen to Groot. 

I mean, Groot should have walked over the play and just asked a ref politely, “do you happen to know how this came off?”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.