Tricks and Treats: Halloween Phins at Bills, Postgame Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

Crazy day in the NFL:

Jets beat the Bengals

Steelers beat the Browns

Patriots beat the Chargers

Colts almost beat the Titans 

and the cherry on top of the cake was

Tom Brady throws a pick six to lose the game...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Consider the possibility that Daboll had complete confidence we could come out and take over the game after halftime, so he used the first half to try things.  

Yeah I'm not really buying that either but it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Also if you remember the movie Seabiscuit, part of the strategy in the big race at the end was to let the other horse think he was going to win, and then to tear out his heart by winning going away while he can't do anything about it.  Whether this was planned or not, it probably will have that effect on the Dolphins, who got themselves fired up for this game after being shut out by the Bills last time, and made a lot of good plays, and still were tied 3-3 at halftime.  Then were gutted and roasted like a trout in the second half.  At this point, if the Dolphins can't trade for Watson, they'll probably settle for Nathan Peterman.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

Consider the possibility that Daboll had complete confidence we could come out and take over the game after halftime, so he used the first half to try things.  

Yeah I'm not really buying that either but it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

i think this is what happened. I suspect the Bills worked all week on their running game and so they came out to try to establish the run. It was a very Jauron-like run, run, pass start to the game.

I actually wonder had we converted that first 3rd and 5 on the first drive whether we might have gotten into a better rhythm early, and some of the early gameplan would have looked better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wjag said:

Crazy day in the NFL:

Jets beat the Bengals

Steelers beat the Browns

Patriots beat the Chargers

Colts almost beat the Titans 

and the cherry on top of the cake was

Tom Brady throws a pick six to lose the game...

I think it was good news that the Pats beat the Chargers.  The Bills should be able to win the AFCE going away, and I am not worried about anyone catching them.  But I am worried about the other top teams in the AFC.  The Bengals and Browns losing was great news. The one that really matters was that the Colts choked away a chance to hand the Titans another loss.  We need the best record in the conference, and the Titans still have the edge on us.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

Read into this or not?

Bills 5-0 against teams with losing records (7-24 record overall combined. 2 against Miami)

Bills 0-2 against teams with winning records (10-5 overall)

Records against winning records/losing records mean little until the end of the season.

KC goes on a run and ends with a winning record then we are 1-2 

Titans go on a losing spree and we are 5-1 against teams with losing records.

Stats are funny like that, easy to find agendas in a small sample size

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The performance was way better than it looked and if things happen in a different order no one's bitching.

Buffalo threw the ball 65% of the time, which is the percentage for teams that don't run the ball at all but we ran too much according to some people here. It's roughly a top 5 pass play selection rate over the course of a season.

Buffalo scored on 50% of their possessions. Ok, it's a couple percentage points down from their season average but it's good for the 3rd best rate in football.

Buffalo outscored Miami 23-8 in the second half, which is closer to a blowout than a competitive game. If the first half is 23-8 and the second half is 3-3, nobody cares.

Buffalo held Miami to 4.1 yards per play, which is worse than the worst offense in the league this year.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

he is a better holder that bojork-spelling

our o-line played better after they called 2 illegal hands to the face on miami

After the first hands call I thought man the white sleeves and gloves of miami blend with the Bill'S white unis.  After the 2nd call I thought perhaps they learned o line may need to physically draw more attention from the refs with more head movement.  The white matching white with o and d may not have been advantageous for bills offense.

6 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

The performance was way better than it looked and if things happen in a different order no one's bitching.

Buffalo threw the ball 65% of the time, which is the percentage for teams that don't run the ball at all but we ran too much according to some people here. It's roughly a top 5 pass play selection rate over the course of a season.

Buffalo scored on 50% of their possessions. Ok, it's a couple percentage points down from their season average but it's good for the 3rd best rate in football.

Buffalo outscored Miami 23-8 in the second half, which is closer to a blowout than a competitive game. If the first half is 23-8 and the second half is 3-3, nobody cares.

Buffalo held Miami to 4.1 yards per play, which is worse than the worst offense in the league this year.

It was as bad as looked. The players even said so. It’s ok, that happens. But I do think there are some troubles with OL that need to be fixed or we could struggle come playoffs time. Norwell would be such a nice boost. 

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Defense played solid enough. 

Offense, offensive. Game plan was atrocious. Execution was poor. Decisions were bad. Clock management sucked and luckily didn’t need any time outs. Allen seems lost like early in his career. Even threw a bunch of dumb balls and lots of wobblers off bad feet. 

if we need to fix OL then do it ASAP. Hopefully that helps Allen. 

Is that you Giuseppe?

1 hour ago, Process said:

I could care less about the score or margin of victory. A W is a W.

But the fact the Daboll didn't make any adjustments over the bye and continues to hold this offense back with unbelievably horrendous play calling is a big concern. 

Hopefully Allen continues to bail him out because we need another team to hire him this off-season.

The issue seemed to be the Bills horrific execution in the first half, IMO. Daboll made the required adjustments at halftime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.