Tricks and Treats: Halloween Phins at Bills, Postgame Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

Game kinda reminded me of playing your little brother when you were growing up...you know you are gonna beat him so you don't go all out but then sometimes he is able to keep it close and then you have to turn it on and make sure he knows who is the big brother 

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I saw the broadcasted replay and sure enough hand comes up and POP goes the helmet.

Yet they called one on us that you needed 100FPS to get a second's worth of slow-mo infraction replay the hands were up there so briefly.

They did FINALLY throw some flags later when the one dude was bending Mongo's head so far back by his chin he could see his own butt crack.

Just bush league officiating that definitely was affecting the course of the game... killing or extending drives.

8 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s annoying that we can’t discuss any flaws the team has after a win. Just shut up and enjoy it

? seems to be a lot of folks here discussing flaws

or is that what you are objecting to?

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

I don't want to see McKenzie returning kicks ever again. Can we have Stephenson replace him?

You mean, the guy who was doing worse than McKenzie during training camp, who has been on IR for 8 weeks, and who has yet to play in a regular season NFL game?  Yeah, for reals, he'd be sure fire guaranteed to never muff a punt or fumble <- sarcasm

9 hours ago, ngbills said:

Defense played solid enough. 

Offense, offensive. Game plan was atrocious. Execution was poor. Decisions were bad. 

ngbills, my good friend… you are spot on per usual! Unless we find ourselves in a point in the game where we absolutely need to guarantee that we lose a couple of yards, we need to scrap this Josh under center/handing off/off tackle run nonsense. 

11 hours ago, Dr. K said:

I was wrong to speculate that Tua might break out in this game, but for most of it he played well enough keep the outcome in doubt. I did say that the Dolphins as a whole would come out wanting to prove those who said Josh had their number wrong, and that Flores was coaching to keep his job. The Fins defense had the Bills completely bollixed in the first half and for much of the second. 

I expect the Bills to come back stronger in their next few games, barring serious injuries. 

The verdict is in; Josh has their number.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

? seems to be a lot of folks here discussing flaws

or is that what you are objecting to?

You mean, the guy who was doing worse than McKenzie during training camp, who has been on IR for 8 weeks, and who has yet to play in a regular season NFL game?  Yeah, for reals, he'd be sure fire guaranteed to never muff a punt or fumble <- sarcasm

He means -and I agree- I NEVER want to see McKittrick TOUCH another football. It really is self-evident. Not sure how you get confused. Try this on for size, he can’t be trusted to catch the damn ball. 

13 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Miami didn't have Raekwon Davis in Week 2, but he was healthy today and he's a legit run stuffer. O-line didn't play well, but Davis was definitely a factor. 

By the way, hoping we get our own version of a Raekwon Davis in the draft next year (and an IOL that can block the real one!).

Wilkins was owning our G's too.

On the early play where they said Devin ran into his own man, the Bills pull Ike from his RG position to the left and Wilkins literally just tosses him on his a$$ and Devin runs into the pile of bodies. 

1. In the run play design both Mongo and Williams release into the 2nd level (optimistic when you cannot block the 1st level guys, but why not?) and Sweeny is asked to block the DE.
  2. As Ike comes across you get a classic example of how many hands to the face can you count on any given trench play (why I think when they do call it, it has to be egregious) Dawkins is getting his chin jacked and Ike has a handful of Wilkins facemask.
  3. Wilkins tosses Ike aside like a 300 pound baby on his butt right into Devin's feet. Play over.

The announcers perhaps Lofton who I like for obvious reasons say, "Singletary ran into his own man..." no Singletary ran into Ike who was tossed into his RBs feet instead of being able to move Wilkins in any way off of his pull move.

This line is either really bad or just not being coached up very well or probably a combo of both and I was pretty high on Bobby coming back.

Running play calls are not helping either. If you KNOW you do not have the talent up front to win all the 1 on 1 battles then you have to run some plays to figure out what DL you need to double first as part of in-game adjustments rather than calling plays that have your linemen releasing to block linebackers and safeties at the 2nd level right out of the gate.

I would rather have Devin and Moss eek out a few yards after hitting a LB or S getting through a gap than getting stuffed behind the line. Seemed like they made more of those adjustments after the half, but they need to happen a bit quicker. Unless we field a better OL (and surprised by the level of drop off without Brown at RT) then our coaches have to do a better job understanding and matching up against defensive fronts early identifying what players need help with their assignments.

Stretch runs to the right or Morse pulling when left uncovered got us some yards. Allen missed some layups early - was amped by the refs and poor execution and forced some throws into their 2-deep zone with Beas and Moss available underneath. We got out of our offensive funk when he calmed down and started taking those - a continued work in progress for Josh to take what the defense gives him and let Beas and Moss do what they do which is getting to the sticks on those short passes in front of those zone defenders.

OL-3 hands in faces.PNG

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I couldn't help but watch the game and say Tua was a big time draft pick error by the Dolphins. He is very average and nothing screams elite or franchise. He looks to be a serviceable backup slash system QB. His arm strength is well below average. Geoff 2.0. Maybe, im just spoiled by Allen's talent...

I've been slightly more optimistic on Tua than most (mostly just that Miami has bigger issues and that he could be good but not great in the right system, but the Dolphins haven't done him any favors with coaching and the offensive line), but wow did that throw Poyer intercepted just hang in the air forever...we're so spoiled with Allen who can flick his wrist and throw a rope to any area of the field, easy to forget that so many QBs don't have that in their bag. 

As you said, even in the right scheme/ideal conditions, Tua hasn't shown anything that would justify how high he was drafted. No elite traits and a limited ceiling. Lastly, how weird is it that his dad forced him to be a left-handed QB even though he literally does everything else right-handed? That has to factor into his mechanics.

• Like (+1) 1

Well despite a lack of execution on offence the Bills prevailed.

The win streak is now at 7 games straight and the Fins have lost 7 straight after winning their opener.

This game may actually be a blessing in disguise.

They now realize that a consistent effort and execution is needed to beat the so called "bottom dwellers" 

Hot head Josh has a week to cool off and calm down before we face the Jags and I figure he will take out his frustrations on them :)

BTW Manny was held to Zero yes 000000 catches on 4 targets :(

Expect him to break out vs the Jags. :)

9 hours ago, The Wiz said:

At least 3 times I saw it today with no call.  You're eyes aren't fooling you.

The Refs kept them in this one whether intentionally or not.

Lots of suspect calls and non calls my GF was getting hot and not in a good way ;)

I said to her keep cool there is a whole 1/2 to go and I think the Bills will take this one over. 

3 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I've been slightly more optimistic on Tua than most (mostly just that Miami has bigger issues and that he could be good but not great in the right system, but the Dolphins haven't done him any favors with coaching and the offensive line), but wow did that throw Poyer intercepted just hang in the air forever...we're so spoiled with Allen who can flick his wrist and throw a rope to any area of the field, easy to forget that so many QBs don't have that in their bag. 

As you said, even in the right scheme/ideal conditions, Tua hasn't shown anything that would justify how high he was drafted. No elite traits and a limited ceiling. Lastly, how weird is it that his dad forced him to be a left-handed QB even though he literally does everything else right-handed? That has to factor into his mechanics.

Tua had so many passes defended that Wallace was looking like a lock-down guy on plays.

Nice touch and decent accuracy on short routes and dropped a few longer ones in the bucket, but not a lot of zip and DBs were able to close and break up a lot of passes because of that. Hung tough in the pocket and showed good wheels when he scrambles considering the injuries he's had to rehab through.

I don't think he is a bad QB, but like Tanny before him, he's a QB you have to surround with the right supporting cast and have the right OC to tap what he does well.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Utah John said:

Consider the possibility that Daboll had complete confidence we could come out and take over the game after halftime, so he used the first half to try things.  

Yeah I'm not really buying that either but it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Also if you remember the movie Seabiscuit, part of the strategy in the big race at the end was to let the other horse think he was going to win, and then to tear out his heart by winning going away while he can't do anything about it.  Whether this was planned or not, it probably will have that effect on the Dolphins, who got themselves fired up for this game after being shut out by the Bills last time, and made a lot of good plays, and still were tied 3-3 at halftime.  Then were gutted and roasted like a trout in the second half.  At this point, if the Dolphins can't trade for Watson, they'll probably settle for Nathan Peterman.

I think it was mostly circumstances not sandbagging.

Little things were just off enough that the "O" wasn't getting the desired outcome

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Tua had so many passes defended that Wallace was looking like a lock-down guy on plays.

Nice touch and decent accuracy on short routes and dropped a few longer ones in the bucket, but not a lot of zip and DBs were able to close and break up a lot of passes because of that. Hung tough in the pocket and showed good wheels when he scrambles considering the injuries he's had to rehab through.

I don't think he is a bad QB, but like Tanny before him, he's a QB you have to surround with the right supporting cast and have the right OC to tap what he does well.

He stares down his receivers.

Any decent corner corner is going to eat those lob balls up.

Tre was all over them and Wallace got in on the act too.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Funny moment in McDermott’s postgame presser

About 5:50 in, reporter mentions Josh spoke of “finding his Inner Zen” and….McDermott interrupts and said “Josh called it finding his Inner Zen?” “Yeah”

McDermott just cracked a big disbelieving grin that drew a laugh from the room

https://youtu.be/LKrCiOTU-As

I think, knowing he sported a Dead & Company 2021 Tour shirt recently, that Allen should throw some GD in his pregame mix to get that zen going earlier

59 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

BTW Manny was held to Zero yes 000000 catches on 4 targets :(

Expect him to break out vs the Jags. :)

Jags are very weak at the slot corner and the LB's, Best player is THEIR Josh Allen.  Suspect another good day for Beasley, and Sweeney.  Center and left side of their D-line are meh, so perhaps we are able to get some semblance of a running game going on the right side.  Dawkins and Boettger will have to man up against JAX-Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

"And even if Miami was able to get a pass off without the quarterback being harassed by a defensive lineman, or blitzer, there is no guarantee the Dolphins receivers and tight ends were lining up right. On too many occasions players were seen directing traffic trying to get teammates lined up properly.

Flores acknowledged the issues, caused by the inability to communicate in a loud stadium, was so bad his play-callers had to remove the shifts and motions out of the plays."

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-kelly-column-bills-20211031-qgusbywc2bf77fuxcs2ktvuplq-story.html

Nice work fans!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.