Maliek Collins -the Bills perfect trade deadline addition

JohnNord

I’ve seen many names thrown around for trade targets.  Many of these are players but the likelihood of them getting traded is probably not that good.  

But Joe Buscaglia named a player that I think the Bills should really explore - Houston Texans DT Maliek Collins.  Unlike other names, Collins is a player the Texans would probably entertain.  He’s a FA after this season and Houston is looking to stockpile picks to re-load.  His salary would also carry a $2 million cap hit and leave the team with another $2 million in cap space for the remainder of the year. 

That means that Buffalo could let Collins walk and possibly receive a comp pick or they re-sign him to deal if they want to turn the page on Ed Oliver.  

On the field he would be the perfect addition to the team.  Collins is good at run defense and unlike the other DT’s, he generates a solid pass rush from the middle of the DL.   Look for further than the game in Buffalo.  

Houston would probably trade Collins for a mid to low round pick deal similar to the Mark Ingram trade.  Or The Bills could try to trade Vernon Butler and a lower pick if they wanted to clear his salary for their cap.  

I remember reading this year that Houston was open to trading anyone.  I’d be surprised if Beane hasn’t inquired about Collins.

Anyway I think he’s the most reasonable, realistic and impactful player the Bills could add at the deadline.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Who you think would want him though? Lol I mean a team would have to be in a tough spot to trade for Butler imo.  I just don't think there is much interest for him if any. 

Then give them Phillips instead.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Who you think would want him though? Lol I mean a team would have to be in a tough spot to trade for Butler imo.  I just don't think there is much interest for him if any. 

Right…the Bills  may just have to eat the contract and release him.  The only reason they might want to trade Butler along with a pick is because he’s a FA after this season and might get Houston a comp pick 

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ehhh I'd pass all day

We have Ed, Star, Butler, Zimmer, Harry plus 2 -3 DE that can play inside 

I don't see him as being nothing more than a slight upgrade as our #3 DT

The problem is, no one that you mentioned is anywhere near as good of a pass rusher as Collins is.  Where was the rush in the middle against Tennessee?  He’d be a huge improvement 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I can’t get obsessed with trade deadline topics. I do NOT know the answer to this, it’s a serious question, but…..when is the last time we actually made a significant trade at the deadline? 

I’m a tad more concerned about stumbling across a Peter Pan post, but maybe that’s just me. 

OK, maybe one more Ertz thread, but then THAT is it! 

EDIT: I finally skimmed the entire OP. Do we really need another guy for the DL? Especially one with a contract that ends in a few months? We are pretty full there already. Find replacements in the offseason shuffle. You tend to pay a premium at the deadline. I see no need to do that, or to pick another random guy we should trade for. It takes two to tango, and the tango is rare for a reason. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Right…the Bills  may just have to eat the contract and release him.  The only reason they might want to trade Butler along with a pick is because he’s a FA after this season and might get Houston a comp pick 

They may have to more view it as a straight up Collins for a draft pick, which might be more like 4th or 5th.  Maybe then they agree on a 4th if Texans take on Zimmers contract.

46 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

The problem is, no one that you mentioned is anywhere near as good of a pass rusher as Collins is.  Where was the rush in the middle against Tennessee?  He’d be a huge improvement 

Ok if you say so

I mean besides that 75 yard run with multiple holes, the rush was there! Held him under 4 ypc

Ed n Star been playing phenomenal

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

“huge improvement”

I’m thinking you are over stating this particular players impact a wee bit…, 

Go Bills!!!

50 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ok if you say so

I mean besides that 75 yard run with multiple holes, the rush was there! Held him under 4 ypc

Ed n Star been playing phenomenal

Go back and watch the Tennesee game.  The pass rush was missing after the first 2 series.  Collins is a major improvement as a pass rusher over anyone else on the defensive line 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I can’t get obsessed with trade deadline topics. I do NOT know the answer to this, it’s a serious question, but…..when is the last time we actually made a significant trade at the deadline? 

I’m a tad more concerned about stumbling across a Peter Pan post, but maybe that’s just me. 

EDIT: I finally skimmed the entire OP. Do we really need another guy for the DL? Especially one with a contract that ends in a few months? We are pretty full there already. Find replacements in the offseason shuffle. You tend to pay a premium at the deadline. I see no need to do that, or to pick another random guy we should trade for. It takes two to tango, and the tango is rare for a reason. 

When was the Marcus Stroud trade?  Was that mid-season?  I just remember multiple big name DT's got moved all around the same time

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

When was the Marcus Stroud trade?  Was that mid-season?  I just remember multiple big name DT's got moved all around the same time

I’m guessing that was about 12-14 years ago? I was with my son who attended UNF In Jacksonville at the time when the Bills visited. We paid a fortune for very good tix on what might have been the hottest day of the year. I  looked at one point and we were the ONLY people left in our row. Everyone else retreated to the club area with shade and AC to watch the game on a little monitor over the concession area. 

The Bills were rotating the OL due to the heat. Even Marcus Stroud said afterward it was the hottest game he ever played in. Yay me! It was BRUTAL!

Following that game I would decline FREE games in Tampa in September. Far worse that December in WNY in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

“huge improvement”

I’m thinking you are over stating this particular players impact a wee bit…, 

Go Bills!!!

Like I said…watching Collins Week 3 versus Buffalo.

Then watch the Bills interior versus Tennessee on Monday night.

Yes, a huge improvement 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Like I said…watching Collins Week 3 versus Buffalo.

Then watch the Bills interior versus Tennessee on Monday night.

Yes, a huge improvement 

Not sure I would use Collins against our interior OL helps build your case considering our guard play is not that great. Plus, you have two entirely different offensive schemes, Bill's passing and Tennessee running. Different DL plans. Just my thoughts. But I don't think it would be a huge improvement as others have said.🤔

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m pretty sure it was the trade for Kelvin Benjamin in 2017. Didn’t work out so well for the red, white and blue.

https://www.nfl.com/news/panthers-trade-wideout-kelvin-benjamin-to-bills-0ap3000000870452

9 hours ago, Augie said:

It was definitely Kelvin Benjamin although he turned out to disappoint. But that was a shot at a playoff run and ending the drought…and technically it did work. He made a huge play in a game that if we hadn’t won, we’d miss the playoffs. This team is different then any other though. Even different then last year. This is a team coming back after a year that proved it was legitimate. 1 guy could actually put us in the super bowl. It’s not that same as just a guy being added to a fringe contender. Just for example, add a guy like Christian Mccaffrey or a big time #2 CB and I think we become the best team in the NFL. That’s worth something. All this being said, I fully expect us to do no trading at the deadline.