Panthers willing to trade McCaffrey, should Bills go all in?

Sherlock Holmes

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's both. Neither Singletary nor Moss are legit #1 RBs. A true high end pass catching RB would be explosive in this offense.

They're absolutely legit #1 RBs.

They're not elite, they're not work horses and neither one is a home run threat. But they both get explosive plays and together they get more than the blocking would usually amount to and they add up to probably a top 16 backfield. 

They're limited, but they're #1s.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Another guy made of glass....no thanks.

I think the Bills are doing it the right way at RB using a 3rd round pick or lower  and adding lower tier FA's on short deals.

Paying huge money or drafting a RB high are not options for this regime.

Besides its a passing league now and the Bills have a great QB.

You just need the backs to hit the hole once in a while to keep the pass rush at bay.

Moss and Singles can do that.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I think the Bills are doing it the right way at RB using a 3rd round pick or lower  and adding lower tier FA's on short deals.

Paying huge money or drafting a RB high are not options for this regime.

Besides its a passing league now and the Bills have a great QB.

CMC's the biggest receiving threat among running backs in the NFL when healthy.  He'd add a dimension to this offense that would make us scary good.  Like others have pointed out though because of his contract it would be impracticable and irresponsible to trade for him given the current construct and trajectory of our roster.  

Beane was still on the staff when the Panthers picked CMC at #8 in 2017 so don't assume it's not an option in the future to use the first round pick on a dual threat RB if the right player pops up.  It would have to be a prospect like CMC, Faulk, Tomlinson, Thomas, etc...  No second contract and use the 5th year option if possible.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're absolutely legit #1 RBs.

They're not elite, they're not work horses and neither one is a home run threat. But they both get explosive plays and together they get more than the blocking would usually amount to and they add up to probably a top 16 backfield. 

They're limited, but they're #1s.

It is surprising how many nice carries they have each game that people just forget about lol they each had some impressive runs in the titans game with little to no competent run blocking 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

This is a bit of hyperbole 6 games in two years? He has played 22 out of 40 games. In 2020 he had some unfortunate injuries, and may have come back later in the season but the Panthers were 4-8 ish and why bother? In 2021 he came back strong as ever with 364 yards of offense in two games. Yes he injured his hamstring this year. That can happen to anyone. In fact it has happened to both of our running backs.

I don't know anything about a potential trade but bottom line is McCaffrey puts us over the top if he is healthy at the cost of a high draft pick. If he somehow stays injured, it was worth the gamble for a super bowl. Its not like the guy is going to fall apart and never play again, its a damn hamstring.

Sorry but it's hardly hyperbole.  He played 3 games last year.  He's played 3 games this year and is on IR again.  That's a pattern.  How healthy he was 3, 4 or 5 years ago means nothing if he can't stay healthy now, and it looks for all the world that he can't.  I'm not trading a high pick on the off-chance he manages to somehow get healthy again and stay healthy.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, totally. If I were the Fins I'd demand pick protections. Not sure I'd give them if I was the Texans, but I'd strongly consider it. They need to put this mess behind them.

The Texans would be dumb to offer/accept pick protection.  It only helps Miami and not them.  They're best-off waiting until the off-season, when Watson's legal issues should become clearer and more suitors might enter into a bidding war.

Edited by Doc
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Everybody here knows how much I love McCaffrey but have been unwilling to accept that the Panthers would be willing to ship him out. Well, seems that that time has come.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-panthers-willing-trade-christian-031706279.html

Now this article says that it would be Houston getting him as part of the Watson deal but I have other plans...

We have the closest relationships to the Panthers in the league so why not help them out, right Beane?

We package some picks and Addison to Houston, Carolina send us McCaffrey so we can take real good care of him and get him some Super Bowl rings starting this year. Carolina sends some picks and players to Houston and gets DeShaun. Everybody is happy, especially Josh Allen and me!

I have the highest faith in Beane to get this done...Let's Go Brandon, work that phone!:wub:

Shirley, you can’t be serious?

• Haha (+1) 1

Dude would be awesome if the Bills somehow didn't pay much (it happens sometimes in front loaded deals)

But even so, even if I love the player, he doesn't fit the Bills. He sometimes got touches on up to 70% of plays (!!!) and with Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Knox, Davis... there ain't much left to go around. Ask Davis about it ha ha

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Dude would be awesome if the Bills somehow didn't pay much (it happens sometimes in front loaded deals)

But even so, even if I love the player, he doesn't fit the Bills. He sometimes got touches on up to 70% of plays (!!!) and with Diggs, Sanders, Beasley, Knox, Davis... there ain't much left to go around. Ask Davis about it ha ha

I think he would help in the passing game- taking over for Beasley’s role...

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, benderbender said:

It would be awesome to have an RB that an opposing defense has to game plan for. Derrick Henry won the game for the Titans the week before the game was played. 

Yup...it seems that every week we are just “hoping” our RB’s are adequate, knowing that’s probably the best we can ask for...kinda sux...offense will never reach fullest potential that way imo...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He and Barkley are the NFL equivalent of the growing number of young pitchers drafted into MLB needing Tommy John surgery almost immediately. 

A lot of hard road miles on body parts before they got to the pros, and various ligaments etc. are on borrowed time. 

The best job skill is often just being available. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Everybody here knows how much I love McCaffrey but have been unwilling to accept that the Panthers would be willing to ship him out. Well, seems that that time has come.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-panthers-willing-trade-christian-031706279.html

Now this article says that it would be Houston getting him as part of the Watson deal but I have other plans...

We have the closest relationships to the Panthers in the league so why not help them out, right Beane?

We package some picks and Addison to Houston, Carolina send us McCaffrey so we can take real good care of him and get him some Super Bowl rings starting this year. Carolina sends some picks and players to Houston and gets DeShaun. Everybody is happy, especially Josh Allen and me!

I have the highest faith in Beane to get this done...Let's Go Brandon, work that phone!:wub:

He'll look just like a rookie with this o line

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.