Uh oh….. Tyrann Mathieu: Chiefs might have one of the most toxic fan bases in all of sports

The 9 Isles

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

worse.   way worse.   Bills Mafia/This Board turns into Bills Firing Squad after every loss, without fail.   You can set your watch to it. 

When did they need a loss?  We can win by 50 and certain people will still be calling for the head of Edmunds, Devin, Daboll, etc because we didn't win by 60.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

It’s obviously really easy for us to be able to say “they need to ignore it” and I would say for the most part athletes do a really good job of that. Yes they gets tons of praise, lots of money, all that stuff, but I’m also sure we all have no idea how much hate they receive on a daily basis. Death threats, threats to their family, people telling them how much they hate them, how terrible they are…after a while it has to add up. sounds like Matthieu just happened to reach his breaking point 

I'm sure the players get hate mail, death threats, threats to their family.  Hell, we've occasionally gotten some of that here, not to mention just plain old vulgarity.  On a message board fer cripes sake.

Social media is a double-edged sword for the players because some of them want to use it to "influence" (for $$) or to "build their brand".  So if you're open to that, you somewhat gotta take the bitter with the better.  Somewhat.

The stars, like Allen, can pretty much 100% turn their SM over to their PR team and post very rarely.  Their brand is built by their play and a few IRL fan interactions.

The solid players gotta engage more with fans and build a following to develop a brand. 

The thing is, all of these guys earn enough to employ PR teams to screen their social media, delete the nastygrams, and block people with viewpoints they don't want to hear (and the players themselves probably get twitchy on the block key).  So there's really no need for the players to have to ignore viciousness - they can set it up to "bubble" themselves from it if they wish.

Me, I said I wouldn't interact on SM and when I found myself doing it for a 3rd time I promptly deleted all my accounts, which is the nuclear option but for guys who can't help getting sucked into it, it works.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You missed a few weeks of this then. Bills players went at Bills fans.

Bills "players" or one "Bills player", who subsequently deleted his account?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm sure the players get hate mail, death threats, threats to their family.  Hell, we've occasionally gotten some of that here, not to mention just plain old vulgarity.  On a message board fer cripes sake.

Social media is a double-edged sword for the players because some of them want to use it to "influence" (for $$) or to "build their brand".  So if you're open to that, you somewhat gotta take the bitter with the better.  Somewhat.

The stars, like Allen, can pretty much 100% turn their SM over to their PR team and post very rarely.  Their brand is built by their play and a few IRL fan interactions.

The solid players gotta engage more with fans and build a following to develop a brand. 

The thing is, all of these guys earn enough to employ PR teams to screen their social media, delete the nastygrams, and block people with viewpoints they don't want to hear (and the players themselves probably get twitchy on the block key).  So there's really no need for the players to have to ignore viciousness - they can set it up to "bubble" themselves from it if they wish.

Me, I said I wouldn't interact on SM and when I found myself doing it for a 3rd time I promptly deleted all my accounts, which is the nuclear option but for guys who can't help getting sucked into it, it works.

Bills "players" or one "Bills player", who subsequently deleted his account?

Feliciano and someone else was going at fans also. 

Our resident KC fans here have been great. 

But honestly, the rate of intolerability from KC fans has been really high. They surpassed what took pats fans 10 years to achieve. In other forums they are unbearable. 

If this team plays out like we think they might, Bills fans being unbearable is something I worry about. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

worse.   way worse.   Bills Mafia/This Board turns into Bills Firing Squad after every loss, without fail.   You can set your watch to it. 

Not even close to as toxic as the chiefs board 

That place makes this look like a wonderland... It's actually a cesspool there

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

The people that fund every reason the NFL exists, have every right to complain about player and team performances.  

They might be wrong, so debate about it.  Fans can be crazy and the internet doesn't help - players can be crazy and the internet doesn't help.

The fans don’t fund hardly any of it, the advertising contract dollars are where the money comes from, ticket and merchandise sales are a drop in the bucket by comparison, it’s so funny that some fans actually think this…, 

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Our resident KC fans here have been great. 

But honestly, the rate of intolerability from KC fans has been really high. They surpassed what took pats fans 10 years to achieve. In other forums they are unbearable. 

If this team plays out like we think they might, Bills fans being unbearable is something I worry about. 

Look at the GDT, it’s the most Bi-Polar part of the game day experience, some of those folk are truly Fuh Ked up, 😂 

46 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The fans don’t fund hardly any of it, the advertising contract dollars are where the money comes from, ticket and merchandise sales are a drop in the bucket by comparison, it’s so funny that some fans actually think this…, 

? Forbes estimated that the NFL would lose 38% of its total revenues if 2020 were played entirely without fans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/05/18/the-stadium-revenue-each-nfl-team-will-lose-if-games-are-played-without-fans/

As it was, with some stadia full and others limited or empty, NFL revenues dropped by 4 billion dollars, or about 25%

That's a pretty large drop out of the bucket

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Feliciano and someone else was going at fans also. 

I don't know about "someone else" but the only comment I saw from Feliciano was about being angry himself if fans were shouting at his car with his kids in it.

Which was not a general attack on fans, just Truth (IMO) about how most of us would feel if folks with a beef at Dad expose their kids to it.  Nasty and inappropriate (IMO).

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Their fan boards are pure filth. Mathieu is right.

I mean, even granted that's true (and from what I've seen, it is), those may represent a "lowest common denominator" of fans

Matthieu probably wouldn't think it was justified if fans pointed at some bad-behaving football players and generalized to all.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

The advertising dollars don't materialize without the fans. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.