Uh oh….. Tyrann Mathieu: Chiefs might have one of the most toxic fan bases in all of sports

The 9 Isles

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/30/tyrann-mathieu-chiefs-might-have-one-of-the-most-toxic-fan-bases-in-all-of-sports/

“This might be one of the most toxic fan bases in all of sports,” Mathieu wrote on his verified Instagram account.

Mathieu was agreeing with Hitchens, who posted a comment defending himself after the Chiefs fan account listed Hitchens’ contract as one of the three worst moves from Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach.

“All we did was go to 3 AFC championship games and 2 Super Bowls and 1 SB win in my first 3 years here so far,” Hitchens wrote. “y’all fans will never be satisfied it’s sad!”

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I kind of see both sides to this. Fans are completely unreasonable and toxic in a lot of places and these days social media means players feel that a lot more often in ways that are completely unacceptable. The KC fans have been pretty lucky in recent years to watch a great team that wins a lot and the fact is that never lasts forever. 

However, certainly In Mathieu's case he is sulking because he didn't get an extension and he does not look like he is giving 100% to me. When fans see that they are always going to call it out. I have more sympathy for Hitchens who just isn't that great and is overpaid.... but that Is Brett Veach's fault not his.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, The 9 Isles said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/30/tyrann-mathieu-chiefs-might-have-one-of-the-most-toxic-fan-bases-in-all-of-sports/

“This might be one of the most toxic fan bases in all of sports,” Mathieu wrote on his verified Instagram account.

Mathieu was agreeing with Hitchens, who posted a comment defending himself after the Chiefs fan account listed Hitchens’ contract as one of the three worst moves from Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach.

“All we did was go to 3 AFC championship games and 2 Super Bowls and 1 SB win in my first 3 years here so far,” Hitchens wrote. “y’all fans will never be satisfied it’s sad!”

this is not news to me Evidence: their fan board that was a straight up sewer it was BAD. That right there tells me something......war chanting ********. lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The world would be a better place without social media, and Tyran Mathieu will be a happier guy once he realizes that.  Don't put yourself on a platform to speak to millions if you aren't ready for what the millions might say.  Hint, most of it is bull ***** *****.

That said, whine away "Chiefs Kingdom".  Get in your own players heads, that's definitely part of the answer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The people that fund every reason the NFL exists, have every right to complain about player and team performances.  

They might be wrong, so debate about it.  Fans can be crazy and the internet doesn't help - players can be crazy and the internet doesn't help.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Society as a whole is toxic because of the internet. I’m not a Chiefs fan, but I don’t think there’s much to see here. 

as a lover and ardent supporter of the Internet, I have to admit the whole thing seems like a huge mistake. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

worse.   way worse.   Bills Mafia/This Board turns into Bills Firing Squad after every loss, without fail.   You can set your watch to it. 

Thats sports fandom in general though.  It’s probably worse with successful franchise who have been hyped to win it all.  See the comments here week 1.

Josh even acknowledge that in his press conference last week.  He said along the lines of “one week you’re the greatest, the next everyone wants people fired.”

I thought it was pretty dumb for Hitchen and Mathieu to publicly B word about fans complaining.  Kansas City had talked about building a dynasty was a top team favored to return to the Super Bowl.  They’ve suffered some really ugly losses this season.  Not sure how you’d expect fans to react any differently

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

All fan bases that care about the team are the same.

I agree to a point, but to paraphrase Tolstoy: each toxic fanbase is toxic in its own way.  Pats fans have a different style of toxicity than Chefs fans who have a different style than Ravens fans. For example, I've never seen fans who seem to need to hunt down opposing fans after a win and rub it in their face quite like Titans fans. 

So… first of all. All fanbases have the obnoxious minority of the perpetually unhappy. 

These players have to know that these fans make up a much smaller faction. I get it’s in their face with social media and everything but how can they even be sure they’re actually fans and not just trolls or bandwagon fans? 

Almost all articles have comment sections full of people just trying to get a rise. 

I don’t like this newish trend of calling out an entire fanbase for the views of a few. It’s incredibly toxic and unfair to the true fans. 

With that said, Chiefs fans have become my least favorite base, so, I’m actually okay with this one. Let ‘em rot! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I agree to a point, but to paraphrase Tolstoy: each toxic fanbase is toxic in its own way.  Pats fans have a different style of toxicity than Chefs fans who have a different style than Ravens fans. For example, I've never seen fans who seem to need to hunt down opposing fans after a win and rub it in their face quite like Titans fans. 

Well, we were acting all high and mighty entering the game. "Bills Mafia invades Tennessee". I would bet Bills fans were pretty cocky in Tennessee before the game. If I'm a Titans fan that night, I give it to any "Bills Mafia"  after that game. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.