10/28 Thursday Night Football: Packers (6-1) at Cardinals (7-0)

Hapless Bills Fan

8 hours ago, Draconator said:

Well for me, myself and I, being an Oakland A's fan, he was under contract with the A's, the top prospect in their system, about to make it to the Majors, and he totally turns his back on Oakland. 

He wasnt "about to make the majors" he would still have had to go through the minors. Many top prospects dont make the majors or struggle for a time. If someone offered you $9 mill guaranteed and requiring working through the minors or $35 mill and starting QB in the NFL from day 1? Its an easy decision.

I wasnt impressed by the Cardinals last night. Although their defense looked better in some parts than it did in our game last year, I thought the offense looked pretty average. It also looks like more coaches are on to Murray and have come up with new ways to neutralize him.  GB looked good but still flawed. TB still look like the team to beat in the NFC.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jletha said:

He wasnt "about to make the majors" he would still have had to go through the minors. Many top prospects dont make the majors or struggle for a time. If someone offered you $9 mill guaranteed and requiring working through the minors or $35 mill and starting QB in the NFL from day 1? Its an easy decision.

The A's were going to bring him up to the Major League Roster. Maybe that was a promise to keep him on the A's and not play football, and the money is greater in the NFL, but my point is he had a commitment, and turned his back on that commitment. 

9 hours ago, Freak-O said:

I'm still not sold on Murray. Sure, he's very quick but when he throws it looks like he uses all the strength in his entire body and the ball still doesn't go very fast or far. Also, his face looks like the face of a baby in a bad mood. 

Huh? He definitely showed arm strength to spare. Those 3rd and 10 curl routes were automatic whenever he had to bullet it in

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your not… I’m suggesting that’s why Bills fans bash Murray…. No idea why someone would be jealous Murray is in a Nike commercial and Allen isn’t. Who ***** cares.

Oh stop it.  You were one of the ones trying to tell us bills fans are jealous of Lamar too.  All fans do this. It’s not specific to the bills. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Hope that's not a Jinx

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

From me , it's because of "Hail Murray". I don't hate him as a QB as I would enjoy watching him if it wasn't for that game last year. 

It's not the play per se, it's the endless coverage of it.  Oh and also, Hopkins being a Douche about it.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Your not… I’m suggesting that’s why Bills fans bash Murray…. No idea why someone would be jealous Murray is in a Nike commercial and Allen isn’t. Who ***** cares.

According to Scott everyone is jealous of "insert name here" guess it all depends on who Scott is watching at the time is who he thinks people are jealous of. 

The biggest reason I was happy with the outcome, is that if AZ scores a TD to win the game, the media would be slobbering all over Murray this morning for his miraculous 99 yard drive to win the game.  Instead...crickets chirping.

A very odd thing about Murray, and I notice it also with Mahomes, and maybe it's just me, but they both seem to waddle when walking on/off the field.  LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It's not about people hating on Murray.  He's actually a very good player who is exciting to watch much in the Flutie tradition.  And comparing him to Fluties is NOT a putdown. 

Whether that INT was on Murray or Green or both doesn't change the fact that under the circumstances that was a dangerous throw to make in that situation.  The rule of thumb is that if you don't see the guy wide open you put the ball in the cheap seats behind the end zone.

Had Allen made an identical throw that was intercepted against the Titans at the end of that game many of the usual suspects on 2BD would be decrying Allen's "hero ball" or "lack of accuracy".  So we call Murray out in part to remind these folks that every QB does stuff like this.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

The A's were going to bring him up to the Major League Roster. Maybe that was a promise to keep him on the A's and not play football, and the money is greater in the NFL, but my point is he had a commitment, and turned his back on that commitment. 

The A's drafted him knowing he wanted to continue to play football and that drafting him that high was a huge risk since he could always choose football. They offered him a contract for millions and he signed, what else would you do...not sign? And then he got into a position to make a LOT more money in a better situation playing football. The A's did it to themselves drafting him when they did with no guarantee he would play.

"Maybe that was a promise to keep him on the A's and not play football" They had to adjust the rules of baseball basically to make that happen and it still wasnt 100% he was going to skip the minor entirely.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I'm on the cards here. Offense has been complete fire and Murray looks fantastic. Pair that with the Cards solid D and Rodgers missing pieces tonight, I like the Cards by two scores.

I thought this too, just goes to show "any given Sunday".  The Packers D was ready for this.  And the Packers can run - "who knew?"

44 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It's not about people hating on Murray.  He's actually a very good player who is exciting to watch much in the Flutie tradition.  And comparing him to Fluties is NOT a putdown. 

Whether that INT was on Murray or Green or both doesn't change the fact that under the circumstances that was a dangerous throw to make in that situation.  The rule of thumb is that if you don't see the guy wide open you put the ball in the cheap seats behind the end zone.

Reminder to any who forget that was 2nd and 5 with 15 seconds left - probably not time for Murray to scramble if he doesn't get out of bounds or score, but time to run another play if he quickly throws the ball away.

44 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Had Allen made an identical throw that was intercepted against the Titans at the end of that game many of the usual suspects on 2BD would be decrying Allen's "hero ball" or "lack of accuracy".  So we call Murray out in part to remind these folks that every QB does stuff like this.

I think this factors in a fair bit. 

Our guy came into the league with the "inaccurate" label and acquired the "sugar high" label which gets re-hashed every time he has an unsuccessful play, in a way we don't see with other QBs.  For example, vs KC Collinsworth going on a long diatribe about how Allen has to eliminate trying to extend the play and getting sacked from his game, but no comments when he (or Mahomes) extends then makes a big play, and no similar comments when Murray takes a 10 yard sack for 2nd and 16.

"Confirmation bias" is a known psychological thing, so Bills fans are probably onto something real and not just imagining things when we feel there's a double standard from commentators evaluating our guy at times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I hate the fact that Arizona and Baltimore are both running straight college offenses and winning. I mean FFS, Murray claps for the snap count and never progresses beyond his first read like he’s playing for Mike Leach at Washington State. 

until it matters late in the season and in the  playoffs,

there are a handful of teams, including us that have figured it out and have the correct personnel to defend it.  too many other teams play their base defense and get shredded. no adjustments. 

GB did a good job last night- stayed in their lanes, collapsed the pocket. 

My takeaway,  at the end both teams went for the knockout punch.  Green Bay went for 4th and goal to put the game out of reach and Failed.  Arizona, in chip shot FG range threw the ball. INT, Fail.

Buffalo went for it late at Tenn. Fail.

I'm just too much of an old school guy.  Sometimes take the FG and allow your entire team to win a game, instead of one play.  Defenses really dig in on these all or nothing plays.  I don't care what the analytics say, it's not always the best call to take the risky play.

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

My takeaway,  at the end both teams went for the knockout punch.  Green Bay went for 4th and goal to put the game out of reach and Failed.  Arizona, in chip shot FG range threw the ball. INT, Fail.

I'm just too much of an old school guy.  Sometimes take the FG and allow your entire team to win a game, instead of one play.  Defenses really dig in on these all or nothing plays.  I don't care what the analytics say, it's not always the best call to take the risky play.

Right. It's not always the best call. It just often is. That's exactly what the analytics say.

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think you also have to take into account that the teams you mentioned are the best in the league. They're not desperate for wins, so play to win the game in regular time. If you fail, you learn more from it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.