With Possibility of St. Louis Exp. Team, What Other Cities Would You Consider Good Expansion Fits?

BigDingus

3 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

My only drawback is if they expand, especially to 36. Now you have 36 teams vying for one trophy. We went through a 20 yr drought, imagine how long it will take some teams to even sniff the playoffs. More opportunities for people to live out their dreams though and way more bucks for the NFL.

Agree. Too many teams to care about or to ever expect a championship. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BTB said:

…same goes for San Antonio! 👍

Austin and San Antonio are 80 miles apart, city center to city center.  Austin has Darrel Royal/Texas Memorial stadium, seating capacity 100K already built, with club seating, luxury suites etc.  No way Jerrah or McNair will allow a third team in Texas.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm surprised San Jose didn't make the list. Yes, it's the Bay Area, but that market has supported two teams in the past, and San Jose is dripping with Tech money these days. Not saying they deserve a team or would be an exciting location, but they can certainly afford it. 

12 hours ago, BigDingus said:

7. Montreal, Quebec - Screw Toronto, Montreal should be the first international NFL team. Population of 1,800,000 with a 4,250,000 metroplex. Nearby other places like Ottawa (another 1,000,000+ people), and neighboring Vermont & New Hampshire, it'd provide an international appeal that Canadians can rally behind (that doesn't interfere with the Bills) as well as giving those poor souls who are told they're supposed to cheer for the Boston... I mean "New England" Patriots, a real home team. 

Montreal is great choice...they really love their football up there.

12 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Toronto

Portland

San Antonio/Austin

There are your other 3 teams.  But really the NFL could make 33 teams work, they made 31 teams work before the Texans joined the league in 2002.  People get too hung up on having the divisions evenly divisible.

Do you remember when the Browns came back?  With 31 teams it meant that there was a team on their bye every single week of the season, including week 1.  Imagine being stuck with the week 1 bye with a 17 or 18 game schedule plus a playoff run?  Yikes.

Also hate Toronto as an option for selfish reasons...we get all of the Bills games on TV here in Southwestern Ontario, along with a decent selection of the rest of the league, and I'm sure we would be stuck as the Toronto team market for all of Canada.  Seeing that weekly TV coverage map in the US would mean I would have to fork out for Sunday Ticket.

11 hours ago, dpberr said:

Don't be a fool St Louis. Take the money and do something meaningful with it. Replace some water pipes. Build some new schools. Buy some fire trucks.

There's nothing good for you in trying to make another billionaire happy. Take their money and make your residents happy.

Nothing makes residents happier than some new water pipes.

41 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Nothing makes residents happier than some new water pipes.

The new ones won't have lead.  Flint gets the publicity but Missouri has the largest number of lead pipes in the nation, with a bunch in STL.  Costs +$1 million per mile to replace.  

1 hour ago, skibum said:

I'm surprised San Jose didn't make the list. Yes, it's the Bay Area, but that market has supported two teams in the past, and San Jose is dripping with Tech money these days. Not saying they deserve a team or would be an exciting location, but they can certainly afford it. 

You do know the 49ers play in Santa Clara, about 10 minutes from Downtown San Jose.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see the NFL expanding anytime soon.  As stated, there is probably little interest in splitting up into more additional TV revenue shares.   They have 32 pretty strong brands right now.  Im sure if they have designs on any other city (I would guess it would almost exclusively be London), they would probably have a few opportunities/candidates for relocation when their time comes. 

13 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I live east of Los Angeles in what’s called the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino). People elsewhere have no idea just how large of an area and big of a population base lives here….almost FIVE MILLION people! It’ll never get an NFL team but the numbers really are shocking.

You're right.  But from a NFL standpoint, that's LA's market & fan base.  

13 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I live east of Los Angeles in what’s called the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino). People elsewhere have no idea just how large of an area and big of a population base lives here….almost FIVE MILLION people! It’ll never get an NFL team but the numbers really are shocking.

And to expand on that, Toronto has about 7 million living within the city limits. 

I’d Endorse

Portland.  Metro population about twice as large as Buffalo’s.  Oregon needs a team of their own.

San Diego.  Screwed by the move of the Chargers.  They deserve a team and have the population to support one.

International

Toronto and Mexico City…  the biggest cities North and South of the border. 

No Fly

Riverside/Inland Empire...  They have the Rams and the Chargers.  

Orlando…  Florida already has three teams if you count Jacksonville.

Oklahoma…  with a metro area of 1.4m, it’s too small.  (But, then again, a team there would represent the entire state). 

Austin…  It’s a growing, vibrant city but Texas already has two teams.

San Antonio…  Ditto 

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

34 doesn't work because you can't split 17 really. Have to to go to 36 if you're going to do it, then you'd have either 3 divisions of 6 or 6 divisions of 3.

What about adding relegation to the NFL?

You bump up to 40 teams. But the new 8 are in a minor league. 

The bottom teams in the 8 divisions have a mini-playoff. The loser of each game gets bumped into the minor league.

The top two teams in the minor league 

get automatically promoted to the NFL. The remaining four each have one playoff game, win and you're in. 

The relegation payoff games could happen either week 17, or the week before the Super Bowl.

Talk about adding meaning to an otherwise meaningless season for the doormat teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.