Week 8: Dolphins at Bills

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I've had another look at those shorts and I gotta say he's in uncharted waters there. Those are the shortest shorts

McKenzie wears shorter

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think he would put Epenesa higher than Andre Smith, Tyrel Dodson, Efe Obada, and maybe Harry and Zimmer.

It's possible that Epenesa is having bad practices. He certainly hasn't had as much of an impact since his first couple weeks, but neither have the guys who were active over him.

I also know the coaches make certain decisions for the sake of helping a player's growth/humility even if it doesn't give them the best tactical advantage for a regular season game.

How do you know this?

If Frazier sat Epenesa to “help his growth or humility” at the cost of a tactical advantage that could have won the game, I would be so not OK with that

Me, I don’t believe it and I think they felt Obada and Harrison gave them better run defense than Epenesa and Butler

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McKenzie wears shorter

How do you know this?

If Frazier sat Epenesa to “help his growth or humility” at the cost of a tactical advantage that could have won the game, I would be so not OK with that

Me, I don’t believe it and I think they felt Obada and Harrison gave them better run defense than Epenesa and Butler

My take on the inactive list for Tenn had to do with McD’s confidence in Milano to play up to the level necessary. Why have all those LB’s active?
Personally, I would have liked to see Klein line up with Edmunds. Milano sit and then activate Epenesa. Oh well, hindsight 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Is that Tre White he asks “we’re talking about McKenzie, how do you feel about him?” What does Tre reply?

Sounded like "Don't feel *something*" couldn't make it out too well.

13 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I don't care who it is, that's a lot of freaking points to give man.

Guess they think we'll score at least 13 points.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

My take on the inactive list for Tenn had to do with McD’s confidence in Milano to play up to the level necessary. Why have all those LB’s active?
Personally, I would have liked to see Klein line up with Edmunds. Milano sit and then activate Epenesa. Oh well, hindsight 

I often think about what a Milano/Klein backfield would look like.   

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you know this?

They do this type of stuff every year. Like sitting Moss the first game. It was all about gut-checking him to get his ass in gear.

And just like you've expressed here, people weren't happy.

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Shorter than the basketball shorts pre 1990's?

Only a Speedo brief from the same era was shorter than those pre-90s basketball shorts.  Don’t believe me go look at old Larry Bird clips on Youtube.  Yikes.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

They do this type of stuff every year. Like sitting Moss the first game. It was all about gut-checking him to get his ass in gear.

And just like you've expressed here, people weren't happy.

I don’t know who “they” is, but it sounds to me like you’re making stuff up.

The first game, they wanted Breida active so they had a “Plan B” at kick/punt returner since McKenzie had a shoulder injury.   A second factor was Daboll’s game plan against a “Blitzberg” defensive plan that could be countered with 4 and 5 WR sets and speed to the outside.  But Pittsburg went in a completely different direction so in hindsight he had the wrong guy active for offense (but the need for a backup KR/PR was still legit, as we saw when McKenzie left the game)

It had nothing to do with “gut checking” Moss or giving him some kind of message to “get his ass in gear”.  

What possible need could there even be to deliver such a message in the very first game of the season?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t know who “they” is, but it sounds to me like you’re making stuff up.

The first game, they wanted Breida active so they had a “Plan B” at kick/punt returner since McKenzie had a shoulder injury.   A second factor was Daboll’s game plan against a “Blitzberg” defensive plan that could be countered with 4 and 5 WR sets and speed to the outside.  But Pittsburg went in a completely different direction so in hindsight he had the wrong guy active for offense (but the need for a backup KR/PR was still legit, as we saw when McKenzie left the game)

It had nothing to do with “gut checking” Moss or giving him some kind of message to “get his ass in gear”.  

What possible need could there even be to deliver such a message in the very first game of the season?  

The press conference afterwards McDermott said Moss is "motivated" now and was looking a lot better in practice leading up to week 2 than he had all offseason.

It's odd to me that you don't think that type of thing is needed. You're weirdly dramatic about this. McDermott expresses all the time the importance of staying "humble and hungry" and he has a reputation for holding back praise on his younger players.

The "why" in Moss's case was obvious. In order keep growing into a more complete team, the Bills need their running game to take a couple steps forward. So, McDermott will try to motivate those guys however he can. There was a notably positive result with Moss after the week 1 benching.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The press conference afterwards McDermott said Moss is "motivated" now and was looking a lot better in practice leading up to week 2 than he had all offseason.

It's odd to me that you don't think that type of thing is needed. You're weirdly dramatic about this. McDermott expresses all the time the importance of staying "humble and hungry" and he has a reputation for holding back praise on his younger players.

The "why" in Moss's case was obvious. In order keep growing into a more complete team, the Bills need their running game to take a couple steps forward. So, McDermott will try to motivate those guys however he can. There was a notably positive result with Moss after the week 1 benching.

You're not going to lessen your chances of winning by making a usual starter "inactive" to prove a point.  Hap is right in that it was gameplan specific to the Steelers.  I'm not sure about backup returner may have had to do with it as they could've used Hyde for punt returns and Jones for kick returns.  Singletary had the better training camp and it was just a numbers game at that point like McDermott said after the game.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You're not going to lessen your chances of winning by making a usual starter "inactive" to prove a point.  Hap is right in that it was gameplan specific to the Steelers.  I'm not sure about backup returner may have had to do with it as they could've used Hyde for punt returns and Jones for kick returns.  Singletary had the better training camp and it was just a numbers game at that point like McDermott said after the game.

They barely used Breida, so there was nothing gameplan specific about sitting Moss. It was because he wasn't performing to their standard. We all saw the before and after effects.

With Epenesa, they didn't need to have a third string LB or DT active over him. Although, like I said before, I think in Epenesa's case it was more a matter of the coaches overthinking the matchups.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.