Week 8: Dolphins at Bills

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Cover 1 did a video on the RZ stuff.

In a nutshell, Defenses are playing way more Zone against the Bills, and the Bills tear them up anyway between the 20s. Defenses basically never play man against us in the RZ anymore because Josh annihilated them.  So they Rush 4, Drop 7 into zone and show light boxes to invite RPOs.  Then they play Rally n' Tackle vs RPOs while clogging the middle passing lanes with zone defenders.  Defenses are terrified of Josh, but they know seam throws aren't his strength, so they invite the run, funnel routes to the boundaries, blanket the middle and leave the hash marks/numbers.

They also know that the running game is not a Bills strength either.  You only "invite the run" in the Red Zone when you don't fear a teams running backs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think this game goes 2 ways.  1.  Mia comes out firing by the second half they fade and Buffalo wins 38-20.  2.  Buffalo gets out early and Mia folds like a tent before half.  45-10.  Either way I expect Buffalo to put them away.  

I want to see the Bills run the ball without Allen.  I want to see him under center a bit more utilize play action and hit big plays.  Give Allen more protection and win games without him needing to be superman every game.  This stretch should help solidify the oline. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think this game goes 2 ways.  1.  Mia comes out firing by the second half they fade and Buffalo wins 38-20.  2.  Buffalo gets out early and Mia folds like a tent before half.  45-10.  Either way I expect Buffalo to put them away.  

I want to see the Bills run the ball without Allen.  I want to see him under center a bit more utilize play action and hit big plays.  Give Allen more protection and win games without him needing to be superman every game.  This stretch should help solidify the oline. 

you can play action and have big plays from the shotgun. This offense runs better from the shotgun. You usually need your QB to play well to win

2 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Oof, didn't realize our red zone TD % is 26th in the league.  That is really bad and will haunt us later if that ***** isn't fixed

Which works out to the following:  In 2021 we are 16/29 in the red zone 55.1%.  We have tried 15 FG's, 11 in the red zone, [made all 11].  The league average is 62%.  So it says that if we were at the league average, so far this season we would have had 2 more touchdowns instead of FG's or stops. Would have been nice if that QB sneak in Nashvile had worked.  In the Steelers game we would have had to have 2 FG's convert to TD's. 

19 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Lets just assume they can already do those things well vs a crap team and just watch Allen do his superman thing.....

I-Like-That.gif&ehk=xf486RoYGrUHMgIOWdEL

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Lets just assume they can already do those things well vs a crap team and just watch Allen do his superman thing.....

I-Like-That.gif&ehk=xf486RoYGrUHMgIOWdEL

Who doesn't like watching that stuff me included.  Only thing that stops Buffalo is something happening to Allen.  Dont need Allen jumping over 3 defenders for 3 yards vs bottom feeder teams.  

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The stat I like best is the Bills allowing 270 yards per game (1st in the NFL) and the Dolphins allowing 414 (32nd in the NFL).  

49 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I'm fine with the Bills concentrating on their run game, AFTER they're up by three scores.  Let Allen pass them into tiny particles, so there's no hope on their sideline, and then start pounding away with Moss and Motor.  The only time the Bills really get into trouble on offense is when they waste downs running straight into the line for two or three yards, giving the defense a chance to load up against our O line.

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I can't see any scenario where the bills lose this game. I'm the opposite, I DON'T wanna see them run the ball. I want to see them throw 95% of the game. Do what they were good at last season. Moss and singletary arnt game changers 

34 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I can't see any scenario where the bills lose this game. I'm the opposite, I DON'T wanna see them run the ball. I want to see them throw 95% of the game. Do what they were good at last season. Moss and singletary arnt game changers 

Last year Bufffalo’s flaw was they became too dependent on Allen.  Im not advocating 60/40  run to pass.  Those 5 to 8 Allen designed runs a game need to go to Moss or Singeltary thats it.  Design run Allen in January or a most win scenario not in Oct vs a 1-6 Miami team.  I would like to see Allen throw it about 30 to 35 times.  Still aggressive offensively, but enough balance to open up bigger plays.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Cover 1 did a video on the RZ stuff.

In a nutshell, Defenses are playing way more Zone against the Bills, and the Bills tear them up anyway between the 20s. Defenses basically never play man against us in the RZ anymore because Josh annihilated them.  So they Rush 4, Drop 7 into zone and show light boxes to invite RPOs.  Then they play Rally n' Tackle vs RPOs while clogging the middle passing lanes with zone defenders.  Defenses are terrified of Josh, but they know seam throws aren't his strength, so they invite the run, funnel routes to the boundaries, blanket the middle and leave the hash marks/numbers.

Josh has open windows against those zones - especially after play action, but you are right that he hesitates attacking the seams and they are not there for long.

It is likely a combination of not trusting what he is seeing, and his prioritizing avoiding throwing RZ picks.

Josh has a great record of not turning the ball over in the red zone (knocking on wood), but he may need to trust his instincts more.

If we had a more feared running attack with better blocking, we would not see so many light boxes either.

I like the idea of more Josh read option keepers where he rolls out to the side with just a db and safety over top... if the TE or RB releases to that side too it really stresses the D on who to cover.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.