Members of Congress fear Gruden’s emails are the tip of the iceberg.

BuffaloBills1998

On 10/24/2021 at 12:15 PM, Nextmanup said:

Two wrongs don't make a "right."

It's quite sad how many people in this thread voice the opinion, basically, that Congress should not be concerned with a widespread trend of racist, homophobe, and misogynist behavior within the foundations of the NFL, given the level of influence the sport has in modern American society.  

What does the NFL have to lose?  How about the fact that they are a de facto and arguably de jure monopoly in violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act?  How about Congress deciding it's time to go after the NFL and deny them their "special" status within the construct of current American law? 

So there's that, to name one concern.

And then when that is done let’s target all of the employees of Microsoft because it is an important part of American culture and they get a bunch of tax breaks, so we have to hold them to a higher standard.

Oh, and when that witch hunt is done, let’s review the private communications of all federal employees, because they work for the taxpayers and we have the right to know what they say and do behind closed doors.  

Where do you draw the line?

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/member-of-congress-fears-jon-gruden-emails-are-the-tip-of-the-iceberg/

I do wonder also if Gruden is gonna come gunning for Goodell and company after telling HBO that the truth will come out? 

The NFL is weaponizing these findings to basically threaten anyone who goes against them that has emails mixed up in there with them "leaking" to the press "anonymously".

Honestly it's pretty screwed up how they are handling this.

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The NFL is weaponizing these findings to basically threaten anyone who goes against them that has emails mixed up in there with them "leaking" to the press "anonymously".

Honestly it's pretty screwed up how they are handling this.

They are handling it like any other corporation would, information in this case represents power and control, do you think for even one second that any power hungry entity (corporations) would do something different? 

I don’t care what “side” you’re on with this, I just wish everyone could admit that Goodell is a disaster. The NFL has had nothing but controversy during his reign. Some of it was on him, other times not so much, but he’s never done anything to bring calm or clarity to a situation. 

4 hours ago, DQW87 said:

NFL probably has already made the emails disappear for good just like the spygate tapes that were so bad they had to be destroyed on the spot.

Any good IT staffer would have months or even years of backups. So, they made the entire archive disappear?  I don’t think so. 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not defending Roger but this is a stupid statement by the lawyer - just because some of the people she represents don't want anonymity doesn't mean there are none who came forward who do.  Guess she's just doing her job stirring crap up

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t care what “side” you’re on with this, I just wish everyone could admit that Goodell is a disaster. The NFL has had nothing but controversy during his reign. Some of it was on him, other times not so much, but he’s never done anything to bring calm or clarity to a situation. 

Goodell works for the owners - the average value of their franchises has gone up to 3.5 beeeeelion during his tenure.  That's what they care about. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Not defending Roger but this is a stupid statement by the lawyer - just because some of the people she represents don't want anonymity doesn't mean there are none who came forward who do.  Guess she's just doing her job stirring crap up

Goodell works for the owners - the average value of their franchises has gone up to 3.5 beeeeelion during his tenure.  That's what they care about. 

That’s a good point, they’re making money, and that’s all that counts. The NFL has been on auto pilot for years, with its natural increase in popularity bringing huge profits. I think if I were an owner I’d be slightly concerned that chaos could cook the golden goose if it keeps up. I’m not able to fully attribute the increase in profits to Goodell. I think it’s more of a natural increase brought on by various factors, and I think the NFL succeeds in spite of Goodell, not because of him. You’re correct though, Goodell has a job as long as profits are soaring. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DQW87 said:

NFL probably has already made the emails disappear for good just like the spygate tapes that were so bad they had to be destroyed on the spot.

Nothing is secret in today's digital age... it leaves a fingerprint somewhere... good luck trying to whitewash it... just makes the cybernerds more determined to look...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.