Strong words from Martellus Bennett re: Jimmy G. not playing game against Bills

CorkScrewHill

"Bro, we lost two games [without Brady],” Bennett told the McCourtys, via NBCSportsBoston.com. “One of them was because Jimmy Garoppolo was being a B word. He decided not to play right before the game. Jacoby [Brissett] came out and played with a f–ked up thumb and played his heart out, but Jimmy was just being a B word about it all.

“That’s why he . . . you can’t win with a B word for a quarterback, first of all."

“So anyways, he’s not going out there, so now Jacoby straps up and we lost to the Buffalo Bills. We shouldn’t have lost. It was just last-minute, trying to make adjustments for what Jacoby could do.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/martellus-bennett-piles-on-jimmy-garoppolo/

So happy we have a QB that makes the competition his B :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rex then went on to claim it in his record of "stopping the Patriots". Embarrassing human.

Rex claimed he had a winning record that year, such a piece of trash that guy. Won a meaningless game, hurt the Bills draft status.

Martellus Bennet is a fool. No respect for him.

13 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Thought it was last game of the season.. nvm I guess. But still, F***, Rex Ryan.

You are likely mixing it up with the last game of the 14 season when we beat them and Jimmy played a half.

Edited by RichRiderBills

31 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

"Bro, we lost two games [without Brady],” Bennett told the McCourtys, via NBCSportsBoston.com. “One of them was because Jimmy Garoppolo was being a B word. He decided not to play right before the game. Jacoby [Brissett] came out and played with a f–ked up thumb and played his heart out, but Jimmy was just being a B word about it all.

“That’s why he . . . you can’t win with a B word for a quarterback, first of all."

“So anyways, he’s not going out there, so now Jacoby straps up and we lost to the Buffalo Bills. We shouldn’t have lost. It was just last-minute, trying to make adjustments for what Jacoby could do.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/martellus-bennett-piles-on-jimmy-garoppolo/

I place no credence in what Martellus Bennett says here.

First of all, the Patriots lost only 1 game while Brady was suspended.  The one with the Bills.   So if he can't remember that correctly, what are the odds he can remember anything else correctly?

Second, Garappolo was reported to have sprained his right A/C joint in the 2nd of those games after a bone-crunching Kiko Alonso hit, which Brissett then finished and played the following week.  I sincerely doubt Bennett was part of any pre-game discussions between Garappolo, the coaches, and the trainers about whether or not Garappolo could play QB effectively that day.

Garappolo was out the previous week and listed as "questionable" that week and the following 2 weeks.  So if the Patriots were counting on him and last-minute about Brissett, instead of preparing for both, that's on them.

But mostly, I don't think it's "up to" the fellow players to decide who is being a "B word" or truly in too much pain/too injured to play effectively.

Seems to me the guy being the B-word is Bennett.

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I forgot - exactly why didn't Jimmy play that game?

Sprained A/C joint in his throwing shoulder.  Had been out the previous week and was "questionable" for that game.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/jimmy-garoppolo-shoulder-injury-ac-joint-fantasy-new-england-patriots

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

And not the last time the Bills shut out Jacoby Brissett...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bills won 16 to nothing I think. Its one of the few wins in foxboro

Brissett could barely grip the ball I remember 

I thought it was the year Brady started suspended (due to deflate gate), with Jimmy G starting a couple games (think he was 2-0), and Brissett starting a couple games, with one being the loss to Buffalo.

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bills won 16 to nothing I think. Its one of the few wins in foxboro

Brissett could barely grip the ball I remember 

Gripped it well enough to pass for 205 yds (63% completion). 

Which is not to say that he wasn't playing injured

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I thought it was the year Brady started suspended (due to deflate gate), with Jimmy G starting a couple games (think he was 2-0), and Brissett starting a couple games, with one being the loss to Buffalo.

Yes, it was.  Jimmy G started 2 games and was injured.  Brissett started a game (W) and was injured.  Brissett took the next start anyway (vs Bills) and L.

4 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

St. Doug coached the Bills to a win in a meaningless week 17 game where Brady played the first half which put the Bills at a miraculous 9-7.  Doug thought he could market that to land his next coaching gig for a bigger payday.

Now that was a b word move. The fact that we had to put that kinda of bullcrap clause in the contract to even get Marrone showed how far we fell as a franchise. Just thinking about that is giving me the chills right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.