Marcellus Wiley (Speak for yourself/music city)

major

Go rewatch this game sometime.  Both offenses struggled because both teams had great defenses.  I told a buddy at work that whoever won this game was going to the SB, and I was right.  Johnson did enough for the Bills to win, and when he left the field the Bills were winning.

It wasn't just a gunner on the right side.  Our entire KO team swung to the middle and left of the field, leaving the right completely exposed.  If the Bills had done their jobs, they would have won that game, and I stand by my prediction that the winner of that game would go to the SB.  Of course the Titans didn't win the SB and there's no guarantee the Bills would have, either, but the Bills team that year was loaded with talent.  Of course they let the three big players (Bruce, Thurman, and Andre) all walk after the season.

2 hours ago, folz said:

Maybe he was in the Flutie camp and so is referring to Rob Johnson (but if memory serves, Rob played fairly well in the game and we had a chance to win---though I thought and wanted Flutie to start that game too). Otherwise, I doubt he would be singling out, say, one special teamer...saying it was their fault (on that particular play). It seemed the whole ST blew that play...but I guess there could have been one ST player who was meant to play (final) contain and left his post.

Other options: He could put that game on the refs for not calling it a forward pass...but the mental health part of that question wouldn't really make sense then. The refs in that game were worried about their physical health (not their mental health) if they had disallowed the TD in a hostile Tenn atmosphere.

Marcellus Wiley was one of the biggest Flutie guys on the Bills and probably the most vocal.  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bn-blitz-newsletter-marcellus-wiley-still-convinced-doug-flutie-wouldve-won-music-city-miracle-game/article_c994fd8f-c5fe-5539-b9c3-b5f7af3695f5.html

https://twitter.com/marcelluswiley/status/522896577959309312?lang=en

58 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Go rewatch this game sometime.  Both offenses struggled because both teams had great defenses.  I told a buddy at work that whoever won this game was going to the SB, and I was right.  Johnson did enough for the Bills to win, and when he left the field the Bills were winning.

While I agree Rob did enough & wasn't the biggest issue, do I think he could go on to win 2 more playoff games on the road after that & make the Super Bowl? No chance. 

I don't care what people think of Rob Johnson, there's a reason teams don't bench their season-long starter who's healthy for the playoffs. I don't blame him for the loss, but there's just no way I can see him string together 3 straight wins against the AFC's best, all on the road.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Daryl Porter.

He was the player who was assigned blame for wandering toward the ball and not staying in his lane and allowing Dyson a free run to the end zone.

As for some of the guesses............Rob Johnson couldn't care less about being blamed for anything............Bruce DeHaven is long dead.........Wade has made it clear that it wasn't his decision to bench Flutie so if Wiley was blaming it on the QB choice the guy who made that is also long since dead.     So nothing he said leads anywhere but toward Daryl Porter.    A well liked reserve DB who screwed up but the Bills made so many mistakes that day that they left themselves vulnerable to a bad officials call.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m not picking on anyone, but it amazes me how Bills fans admit that Rob Johnson was awful, but he always seems to get credit for that Titans game. The guy played an average game, and threw a touchdown without a shoe, considered me unimpressed. It’s possible my memory is failing, but Johnson playing well by his standards is nothing to write home about. He wasn’t to blame for the loss, but we weren’t going anywhere with him behind center. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

While I agree Rob did enough & wasn't the biggest issue, do I think he could go on to win 2 more playoff games on the road after that & make the Super Bowl? No chance. 

I don't care what people think of Rob Johnson, there's a reason teams don't bench their season-long starter who's healthy for the playoffs. I don't blame him for the loss, but there's just no way I can see him string together 3 straight wins against the AFC's best, all on the road.

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t care what you think about Flutie either, that’s irrelevant. This idea we’re in the Super Bowl had we won the Music City Miracle game is absurd. What did Johnson ever do that proves he could have won three playoff games? 

He's discussed this before.  Whether he was referring to Ralph, Phillips, or Johnson.......who knows?

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bn-blitz-newsletter-marcellus-wiley-still-convinced-doug-flutie-wouldve-won-music-city-miracle-game/article_c994fd8f-c5fe-5539-b9c3-b5f7af3695f5.html

Former Bills defensive end Marcellus Wiley spoke with Vic Carucci for this week's "One-on-One Coverage," and it didn't take long for the Doug Flutie-Rob Johnson debate to be rekindled.

"This is no shot at Rob, but Doug would have won that game for us," Wiley said. "It’s just that simple."

This of course refers to the Bills' wild-card game against the Titans on Jan. 8, 2000. If you're not familiar with this story, Flutie quarterbacked the Bills to a 10-5 record but was benched for their playoff game after Johnson performed well in Week 17 while Flutie was being rested. Coach Wade Phillips later stated that owner Ralph Wilson forced him to start Johnson. And everyone knows how the game ended.

Wiley still believes it was a forward lateral, but his point was that if Flutie started, it would've have even come down to that play.

"It wasn’t 50-50; I would say it was 70-30, 80-20 Doug," Wiley said of the locker room split supporting Flutie. "But the craziest thing was how it played out in real time, how we knew Rob had to start the last game ... And I remember when Wade came in and said, 'Guys, we’re changing quarterbacks.' It was craziness. People were like, 'What?' Then, we all calmed down and realized, 'Hey, it’s playoff week and if those are the marching orders, we must follow.'"

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m not picking on anyone, but it amazes me how Bills fans admit that Rob Johnson was awful, but he always seems to get credit for that Titans game. The guy played an average game, and threw a touchdown without a shoe, considered me unimpressed. It’s possible my memory is failing, but Johnson playing well by his standards is nothing to write home about. He wasn’t to blame for the loss, but we weren’t going anywhere with him behind center. 

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t care what you think about Flutie either, that’s irrelevant. This idea we’re in the Super Bowl had we won the Music City Miracle game is absurd. What did Johnson ever do that proves he could have won three playoff games? 

Flutie's offense had also become a bit inconsistent and bogged down by the time he was benched, so it's difficult to pick a side in hindsight. Johnson DID drive down the field and get the lead. That DID happen. And in 99.9% of NFL contests, that would have been enough to secure the win. So we cannot deny that. 

Then again, we lost. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.