Alec Baldwin accidentally kills movie crew member (real bullet accidentally put in prop gun)

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I just figured if some others will have their conspiracy theories... I might as well throw one out from the Hollywood Coastal Elite side of the fence.

But honestly... He pisses off the what was the most powerful guy in world and his podunk followers... Those guys know the differences between bullets.  It would be pretty ez-pz to set up a Hollywood dweeb:

"HERE!  Go shoot that scene... USE this!"

"Okay... If it's okay with the filmmakers union, it's okay with ME!... Wait,  this is a non-Union Hulu movie?"

😏

Again, the irony.  A couple hours in Podunk, where they learn em early that delegating your personal responsibility can have serious and tragic consequences, probably prevents Alec from delegating his personal responsibility and the serious and  tragic consequences that followed.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Again, the irony.  A couple hours in Podunk, where they learn em early that delegating your personal responsibility can have serious and tragic consequences, probably prevents Alec from delegating his personal responsibility and the serious and  tragic consequences that followed.  

LoL... Yeah they learn it early in Podunk County, USA.

😆 🤣 

Nice one!  What are they Boy Scouts and fall on the range master's every command. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... Yeah they learn it early in Podunk County, USA.

😆 🤣 

Nice one!  What are they Boy Scouts and fall on the range master's every command. 

Oh the irony!   The Boy Scout motto, “Be Prepared” would have encouraged ole Alec to, you know, be prepared!   Instead, welp….

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Oh the irony!   The Boy Scout motto, “Be Prepared” would have encouraged ole Alec to, you know, be prepared!   Instead, welp….

Honestly... Who the heck is gonna check.  I don't even know the difference between a blank and live round and I am OCD with more than the average range hours. 

Come on... Who's gonna check in that situation? ***** it... It's on the safety office.  

I get the irony.  My conspiracy theory.   Maybe that's why someone set him up? Again... What actor is gonna check.  Even if they did, what are they gonna do, un-chamber the round and say: "Does this look real to you?" 😆 🤣 

I assume a blank looks identical.   It has to be fired.   Can't be painted... So it has to be stamped?  No???

Maybe a bright color anodized material to stand out from live rounds?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I assume a blank looks identical.   It has to be fired.   Can't be painted... So it has to be stamped?  No???

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Honestly... Who the heck is gonna check.  I don't even know the difference between a blank and live round and I am OCD with more than the average range hours. 

Come on... Who's gonna check in that situation? ***** it... It's on the safety office.  

I get the irony.  My conspiracy theory.   Maybe that's why someone set him up? Again... What actor is gonna check.  Even if they did, what are they gonna do, un-chamber the round and say: "Does this look real to you?" 😆 🤣 

Ok one more.  Oh, the irony!   The only thing real on the set is the one durn thing that should not have been!  

I am not a gun owner, have no range experience at all, and I really think when the question boils down to “Who’s going to check?”, it’s got to be the guy pulling the trigger and everyone else who’s handling it.  

Sounds like it was,mah, the wild Wild West on this set.  It’s a shame the young lady died, and it obviously never should have happened. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Ok one more.  Oh, the irony!   The only thing real on the set is the one durn thing that should not have been!  

I am not a gun owner, have no range experience at all, and I really think when the question boils down to “Who’s going to check?”, it’s got to be the guy pulling the trigger and everyone else who’s handling it.  

Sounds like it was,mah, the wild Wild West on this set.  It’s a shame the young lady died, and it obviously never should have happened. 

It was a Hulu movie... Hollywood is becoming a scab scene. 

This is what happens when you break down the union trades.  Get a scab scene. 

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Do you point guns that you guns that you think are empty at people?  I suppose you could if the "safety office" says it's OK, right?

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is what happens when you break down the union trades.  Get a scab scene. 

The above I agree with.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do you point guns that you guns that you think are empty at people?  I suppose you could if the "safety office" says it's OK, right?

The above I agree with.

Yup! Job is to act.  If it means pointing a gun during a scene... I trust the team not to steer me wrong.   Not my job to check them.

They are actors creating a scene.  This ain't a little kid or heck anybody else pointing a weapon at a person. 

It's just plain stupid to equate acting with normal gun handling. Safety management should have been in place to hand a cold gun off to the actor properly.  It's not the actor's job to check... In real life it's of course everyone's.  Anyway, probably occasions where they need a live weapon.  

The actor is being paid to act. The safety team is in charge of a zero-fail mission.  They failed here.

It's simply not the actor's job here to constantly check.  You lose the moment and spontaneity of the scene.  Nothing would get shot (excuse the bad pun) if there was continued checking by the actors.

Look... This only happens once every 25 years or so.... It ain't like our government thugs on main street USA 😉😜 Where it happens daily.  Yeah, those guys  need to check and trust only themselves. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

And the cover up starts....

The producers urged those who worked on the film before Thursday's shooting to stick together.

The producers said that although there have been leaks from insiders, members of the cast and crew were not encouraged to speak with reporters.

"We are sorry to hear that so many of you are receiving unsolicited contacts from the media while all of us need time and space to grieve and heal. You don’t need to engage, but if you do, just ask the journalists to respect your privacy. It should help."

Baldwin was 'practicing' with gun when it went off, warrant says

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup! Job is to act.  If it means pointing a gun during a scene... I trust the team not to steer me wrong.   Not my job to check them.

They are actors creating a scene.  This ain't a little kid or heck anybody else pointing a weapon at a person. 

It's just plain stupid to equate acting with normal gun handling. Safety management should have been in place to hand a cold gun off to the actor properly.  It's not the actor's job to check... In real life it's of course everyone's.  Anyway, probably occasions where they need a live weapon.  

The actor is being paid to act. The safety team is in charge of a zero-fail mission.  They failed here.

It's simply not the actor's job here to constantly check.  You lose the moment and spontaneity of the scene.  Nothing would get shot (excuse the bad pun) if there was continued checking by the actors.

Look... This only happens once every 25 years or so.... It ain't like our government thugs on main street USA 😉😜 Where it happens daily.  Yeah, those guys  need to check and trust only themselves. 

It was real life for the woman who was shot dead.

• Like (+1) 2

This may be a very ignorant statement, but serious question.

Why even have live rounds on site? Period. Sorry, not blaming any actor for this tragic accident. It should be the role of the safety professional to properly educate the people using the prop guns. I’m honestly blown away by the complete breakdown of safety processes in this story. 

Edited by Rockpile233
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Why even have live rounds on site? Period. Sorry, not blaming any actor for this tragic accident. It should be the role of the safety professional to properly educate the people using the prop guns. I’m honestly blown away by the complete breakdown of safety processes in this story. 

I don't think you statement/question is ignorant at all.  It's totally inexcusable and 100% avoidable.

• Like (+1) 2

That armorer and crew will never work in Hollywood again.   The armorer and the assistant producer are likely going to jail, as is the person who loaded the revolver with live rounds, especially if there wasn't a reason to do so.     

The chain of custody extends to everyone who touches it, including Baldwin.  Fundamental gun safety rules were ignored here and someone died and another seriously injured because of that.   

IMO, this is a different case from Brandon Lee's death because in 1993, the crew properly loaded the handgun with a blank round and Michael Masse, the actor who "shot" Lee, verified it was a blank round loaded in the firearm.  What they didn't see was a fragment of a dummy round from a previous discharge remained in front of one of the blanks.  Of course, the firearm expert (James Moyer) and stage crew never worked in Hollywood after the event. 

In this current case, it was a real deal live round someone put in the revolver, and nobody bothered to check the revolver as it went from person to person.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

I have been trying to rectify this question in my head as well. There would be zero reason to have any live rounds on a movie set at all.

The only thing that might make sense will be that it could end up being similar to what happened to Brandon Lee where they had prop bullets for a gun loading scene and somehow a piece of one of those lodged in the barrel so when the blank round was fired there was actually a projectile forced out that ended up killing him.

If it turns out to be an actual round that was loaded into that weapon then I'd think someone will have to be held criminally negligent. 

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

I assume some scenes may need a different effect... Like a bullet hitting an object and shattering it?

I guess they got a little too close to reality which caused a mix up.

Again...  I'd like to know what a blank round looks like, how to tell the difference and the mechanics behind it. I know a live round will hit the pin, it explodes, then send the projectile.  Then spent shell/casing is expelled or left there (revolver). What happens when a blank round fires? There can't be a projectile,  right?  Just cap and a casing.  How does a blank fill the chamber without sending anything through the barrel?

I know they say never assume,  but I would guess AB assumed what ever they gave him was safe.   He's acting.  It's his job.  Now in real life, you check twice.

3 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Well that’s quite a sensationalized mischaracterization. Nobody was spraying bullets around the set.

”Alec Baldwin was rehearsing a scene in which he draws a gun and points it at the camera when the gun — which the crew had been told did not contain live rounds — suddenly went off and killed the cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, according to an affidavit.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/24/arts/baldwin-shooting-details.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Meanwhile, Donald Trump Jr. is selling “guns don't kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people” shirts for $27.99.

/smdh... Is Trump donating the proceeds?

Maybe he did have the mix-up take place.  😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1