Alec Baldwin accidentally kills movie crew member (real bullet accidentally put in prop gun)

49 minutes ago, johndhall1 said:

Firearms Safety 101. Every gun is loaded until YOU confirm that it's not. Baldwin should absolutely be charged

Safety 102:  There is NO reason to play around with guns, even if they are unloaded. Not 1.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I wonder if someone set up Alec Baldwin.

He's definitely made enemies...

Someone/entity had to set him up.

The law enforcement establishment community would have the ability to do this, don't they regulate this stuff?

Maybe they were setting up the cinematographer.  He seems to have been slightly more impacted than Baldwin although I’m not diminishing poor Alec’s plight.  Or maybe this was simply a highly dysfunctional project.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Irv said:

Sounds like he lost it again and went on a enraged shooting spree, firing at anything that moved.  How many guns did he use?  Did he re-load?  This is crazy. 

Lol... say what?

19 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

On the contrary, I find this unfathomable that it could ever happen even once.

The only way this is possible is utter stupidity or inattention to detail.

If proper procedures are followed, it should be IMPOSSIBLE to shoot someone on a movie set with a prop gun.

(I probably sound like a gun nut.  I don't own any firearms, but I have a huge interest in military history and as a general rule, soldiers don't kill each other by "accident," despite everyone having live firearms all over the place.)

As Jesse Ventura (ex-Navy frogman, precursor to the SEALs, with combat duty in 'Nam) said in reaction to Dick Cheney shooting his buddy in the face, "There is no such thing as an 'accident'.  If you do this sort of thing it's because you don't know what the hell you are doing." 

EDIT:  I don't place blame at Baldwin's feet; it's with whoever is in charge of the guns on set, obviously.  

Preach.  I own firearms.  I like to shoot.  I'd like to own more firearms.  I don't care if people think I'm a gun nut.  And I agree with you completely. 

There are proper procedures for handling guns and munitions and if they are followed, this ***** doesn't happen.

19 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I believe that stems from a lot of people claiming that Cheney intentionally shot his friend, because he wanted to murder him.

Despite there being no proof of such a thing, rather just a bunch of people who hate Cheney, and them wanting that to be true.

Such a tragic thing to have happen. May God be with the family of this poor woman.

No, it really doesn't.  I wouldn't make that claim. 

My claim is that "there are no accidents" (or vanishingly few) when it comes to guns.

If proper gun safety procedures are followed, Cheney doesn't shoot his friend, Brandon Lee is still alive, and so is this poor unfortunate woman.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Can someone explain movie lingo to me. I read that a crew member told Baldwin it was a "cold" gun when he handed it to him. Does a cold gun mean it has no rounds in it or dummy rounds in it. It would seem to me that it should go without saying that any firearm on a movie set should be a "cold" gun if it's referring to the type of rounds.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

2 hours ago, johndhall1 said:

Firearms Safety 101. Every gun is loaded until YOU confirm that it's not. Baldwin should absolutely be charged

Absolutely.  And see the link above about not being the first time there were problems on this set.

https://news.yahoo.com/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-193409810.html

Baldwin's stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was "cold" — lingo for a weapon that doesn't have any ammunition, including blanks — two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

"There should have been an investigation into what happened," a crew member said. "There were no safety meetings. There was no assurance that it wouldn't happen again. All they wanted to do was rush, rush, rush."

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires that he sent a text message to the unit production manager. "We've now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe," according to a copy of the message reviewed by The Times.

Like Ventura said, if something like this happens it's not an accident, it's because you don't know what the hell you're doing with a firearm and you're not following proper procedures.

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Can someone explain movie lingo to me. I read that a crew member told Baldwin it was a "cold" gun when he handed it to him. Does a cold gun mean it has no rounds in it or dummy rounds in it. It would seem to me that it should go without saying that any firearm on a movie set should be a "cold" gun if it's referring to the type of rounds.

Apparently, not this movie set.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Cold means blanks.  But that should be redundant since there should never be a "hot" gun on a movie set, outside of on bodyguards (if there are any). 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Cold means blanks.  But that should be redundant since there should never be a "hot" gun on a movie set, outside of on bodyguards (if there are any). 

Ok...Yeah, to your point there shouldn't even be the need to differentiate between a cold gun and a hot one. There should be no reason to have a hot gun on set.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, johndhall1 said:

I was just going to say that: Every parent or course instructor teaches: Treat every firearm (rifle, pistol, BB gun) as if it's loaded.  Once you confirm the firearm is empty, set aside and take magazine out, leave breech open. Never, ever point a gun at a human or in the vicinity of a human. Ever. Unless you are protecting yourself or your family (which I don't believe a movie set qualifies unless you're protecting the $500 salmon brunch buffet for the crew). Alec Baldwin must be an exception to the rule because, well...he's brilliant.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Preach.  I own firearms.  I like to shoot.  I'd like to own more firearms.  I don't care if people think I'm a gun nut.  And I agree with you completely. 

There are proper procedures for handling guns and munitions and if they are followed, this ***** doesn't happen.

No, it really doesn't.  I wouldn't make that claim. 

My claim is that "there are no accidents" (or vanishingly few) when it comes to guns.

If proper gun safety procedures are followed, Cheney doesn't shoot his friend, Brandon Lee is still alive, and so is this poor unfortunate woman.

I didn't say that you specifically made that claim, but there were people who did.

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

It seems it was not the first time on that set that a gun went off with live rounds...

'Rust' crew describes on-set gun safety issues and misfires days before fatal shooting

Well, from the article I linked above....

That's incredibly concerning if there were documented safety issues before this, which were never corrected.