Alec Baldwin accidentally kills movie crew member (real bullet accidentally put in prop gun)

33 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/10/21/alec-baldwin-film-rust-woman-killed-after-prop-gun-incident-set/6128073001/

I'm amazed that this doesn't happen more often.

Isn't there someway to not have blanks that look like bullets?

They really dont. They look substantially different from regular rounds. They also generally use guns that can't accept regular rounds. Stuff does still come out the end when it's fired though and if something is lodged in the barrel is can be discharged when the blank is fired. That's what happened to Brandon Lee. The investigation into this will be interesting to see what actually happened. Who was in charge of the weapons on set, which protocol wasn't properly followed, etc. Minimally there isn't supposed to be anyone in front of the firearm when it's discharged, even with blanks.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/10/21/alec-baldwin-film-rust-woman-killed-after-prop-gun-incident-set/6128073001/

I'm amazed that this doesn't happen more often.

Isn't there someway to not have blanks that look like bullets?

On the contrary, I find this unfathomable that it could ever happen even once.

The only way this is possible is utter stupidity or inattention to detail.

If proper procedures are followed, it should be IMPOSSIBLE to shoot someone on a movie set with a prop gun.

(I probably sound like a gun nut.  I don't own any firearms, but I have a huge interest in military history and as a general rule, soldiers don't kill each other by "accident," despite everyone having live firearms all over the place.)

As Jesse Ventura (ex-Navy frogman, precursor to the SEALs, with combat duty in 'Nam) said in reaction to Dick Cheney shooting his buddy in the face, "There is no such thing as an 'accident'.  If you do this sort of thing it's because you don't know what the hell you are doing." 

EDIT:  I don't place blame at Baldwin's feet; it's with whoever is in charge of the guns on set, obviously.  

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If proper procedures are followed, it should be IMPOSSIBLE to shoot someone on a movie set with a prop gun.

(I probably sound like a gun nut.  I don't own any firearms, but I have a huge interest in military history and as a general rule, soldiers don't kill each other by "accident," despite everyone having live firearms all over the place.)

As Jesse Ventura (ex-Navy frogman, precursor to the SEALs, with combat duty in 'Nam) said in reaction to Dick Cheney shooting his buddy in the face, "There is no such thing as an 'accident'.  If you do this sort of thing it's because you don't know what the hell you are doing." 

EDIT:  I don't place blame at Baldwin's feet; it's with whoever is in charge of the guns on set, obviously.  

I believe that stems from a lot of people claiming that Cheney intentionally shot his friend, because he wanted to murder him.

Despite there being no proof of such a thing, rather just a bunch of people who hate Cheney, and them wanting that to be true.

Such a tragic thing to have happen. May God be with the family of this poor woman.

• Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is how its supposed to work regarding prop firearms:   https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/entertainment/2021/10/22/guns-on-movie-sets--how-does-that-work-

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

What I don't understand is why non-actors got shot.  Was Baldwin running around carelessly shooting the off-camera people like he's playing Cowboys and Indians?  Sounds like he screwed up or maybe did it on purpose.  Swapped out the gun for a real one.  Guy's a little bit of a loose cannon.  You've heard the recorded phone calls. 

Edited by Irv
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Irv said:

What I don't understand is why non-actors got shot.  Was Baldwin running around carelessly shooting the off-camera people like he's playing Cowboys and Indians?  Sounds like he screwed up or maybe did it on purpose.  Swapped out the gun for a real one.  Guy's a little bit of a loose cannon.  You've heard the recorded phone calls. 

Exactly. And with his political connections, Baldwin stands a better chance of getting away with crimes. It wouldn't be the first time. This case needs to be investigated in an impartial manner (if possible). 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10119685/From-parking-lot-brawl-homophobic-slurs-Movie-set-shooting-tragedy-latest-Alec-Baldwin.html

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Exactly. And with his political connections, Baldwin stands a better chance of getting away with crimes. It wouldn't be the first time. This case needs to be investigated in an impartial manner (if possible). 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10119685/From-parking-lot-brawl-homophobic-slurs-Movie-set-shooting-tragedy-latest-Alec-Baldwin.html

I don't follow politics.  So not too sure about that.  But the guy is a real hothead.  Threatening his family.  Punching photographers.  Maybe it was a love triangle and he was angered at the woman for stealing his man.  Who knows?  But I agree.  There needs to be a serious investigation into this maniac.     

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I dunno, if he was going to intentionally kill/hurt someone that doesn't sound like the landscape he would use with so many people around. My take is that it was a tragic accident in some way or another. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

I mean all it would require is a scene where he's aiming towards or just off camera when it goes off for it to happen.

• Haha (+1) 1

A prime example of why QA/QC is needed. Seems there should be very strict protocols on the types of rounds they use. Maybe there is and they weren't followed. Not sure how a live round ever makes it to a movie set

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

As Jesse Ventura (ex-Navy frogman, precursor to the SEALs, with combat duty in 'Nam) said in reaction to Dick Cheney shooting his buddy in the face, "There is no such thing as an 'accident'.  If you do this sort of thing it's because you don't know what the hell you are doing.

That’s actually a great quote from Ventura. I’ll always remember my grandpa being all about safety from growing up on a farm long long ago. I took many of his lessons to heart, and I’m blown away by the lack of regard for safety that so many have around dangerous stuff these days. There’s a fine line between stupidity and intent when your ignorance harms others. People who lack the ability to utilize proper safety precautions are just as guilty as those with intent imo. Dumb isn’t an excuse for harming others. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Alec Baldwin was handed a loaded weapon by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, court records released Friday show.

The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe court.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/entertainment/2021/10/22/crewmembers-walked-off-baldwin-film-to-protest-working-conditions-prior-to-fatal-firearm-incident

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Alec Baldwin was handed a loaded weapon by an assistant director who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, court records released Friday show.

The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe court.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/entertainment/2021/10/22/crewmembers-walked-off-baldwin-film-to-protest-working-conditions-prior-to-fatal-firearm-incident

This is so ***** up. Why was there a live round and why was he firing on a prop director. This will make for some juicy gossip. A lot of questions need to be answered. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3