Privacy for Josh Allen and Bills' players

Inigo Montoya

On 10/22/2021 at 2:39 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Kelly and the 90s bills got mobbed every single place they went

Bars, restaurants, every place they went there was a mob of billss fans trying to get their autographs and talk to them 

I witnessed it..  being a bills player in Buffalo is being the biggest celebrity.. nothing new

Yeah @Inigo Montoya is full of sh*t on this one...........the 90's Bills could get no peace out in public.

My girlfriends sister lived in OP and was very good friends with the wife of a young Bills starter on the last SB team and I got roped into going out to eat with them all after the Bills beat the Raiders in the divisional round.    I figured at least I was leaving the great eats of my tailgate to go somewhere like Salvatore's where the players could have their own room with family etc..   Nope,  nothing like being outside in -30 windchill for 9 hours and then going to Applebees. :lol:   He was a big public nice guy and local tv regular but he was PISSED about all the people coming up to congratulate him when he was trying to eat.  

Also, Inigo.......if you are trying to start a campaign to get Bills fans to stop slobbering all over Bills players and coaches in public........this ain't the place........it's mostly ex-pats here that aren't liable to even be in town to run into Bills.    Take it to a broader social media platform.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:31 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

I've seen two interviews now where Josh has stated that the thing he laments the most is the loss of his privacy when he goes out around town.  I know we are a celebrity driven culture, and compounding the issue for Josh is that he seems so down to earth that I think people feel comfortable just walking up to him to say hello and asking for a picture.

It would be nice if we as a fan base could make and effort to give Josh and other Bills players some space and privacy if you do happen to see some of them out in town eating dinner or shopping or at a movie.  I think in the Kelly era, Bills players were able to move around and do things and still have their privacy and that is something that they always appreciated and cited as one of the reasons playing in Buffalo was so enjoyable for them.  It would be nice if we could get back to that place again.

If you do see someone like Josh or Knox or Diggs out, try to give them some space.  Let's try to repay their dedication to our city with some personal space.  When you talk to other Bills fans bring this up and maybe we can make a small difference for the guys who play hard for us every week.  This board reaches all across Bill's Mafia, maybe we can start something here that will contribute to our players enjoying their time in Buffalo more and give them another reason to want to stay here.

It’s a great idea but good luck with it. People stalk athletes nowadays to get pics just for their own clout online. They might not even particularly like that athlete. Josh better get used to it.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

While I generally respect your takes, I’m not with you on this one. It almost sounds as though you are resentful of the contract. Money isn’t everything. “Every resource in the world” doesn’t necessarily allow you a nice, quiet dinner out at your favorite place with your GF. That’s not too much to ask for, IMO. 

It’s not the end of the world if some guy wants a pic or an autograph. Not my style, but whatever. The digits in the contracts, in MY mind, does not make them public property 24/7/365. 

Josh seems like a terrific young man. If I were to run into him somewhere, a nod, a smile or a thumbs up and maybe a little “Go Bills” would be sufficient. But that’s just me. I don’t own or deserve any more than that. 

I don’t resent people who have been successful, monetarily or otherwise. Good for them, but they don’t owe me anything. 

I agree that guys should be treated respectfully and will say I have no resentment towards the money. I’m all about celebrating the rewards for his success. 

the digits in the contract mean he could manage his privacy at his hearts desire or whim. He literally has the resources to create any type of bubble around himself that he wants. I think that’s a great for him! Doesn’t want fans bugging him for dinner? He can get a private room at any restaurant in the city or have a dinner party at home. In the mood for a little more attention, he can pull the curtain back. 

what I don’t like is fans policing fans on silly stuff and acting like it moves the needle on whether guys want to play here. It just makes for meaningless bickering that no one is better for and does not move the needle at all. josh is totally empowered to create any experience he wants. He doesn’t need inigo  (or anyone else) telling people how to act. Simply, hes not a prisoner of the moment needing protection- he’s achieved the opportunity to have anything he wants.

It’s Buffalo, it’s not like throngs of paparazzi are mobbing him everywhere he goes and he’s met with Beatles like crowds at his doorstep. 

Edited by NoSaint

10 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Boo hoo multimillionaires who get paid for playing a game are asked for a picture or an autograph.  I wouldn't bother him because WTF would I do with a picture or an autograph.  But I understand people with young kids who might want that.  If it gets to be "too much" he can afford a few other houses around the world, and/or take his ridiculously hot GF to a couple grand a day private island and chill.  Loss of privacy, give me a break.  It comes with the job. There is absolutely zero value to what he does for a living outside of entertainment of the public. 

I think in general the Bills from what Ive seen actually encourage contact with fans.......in certain circumstances! Sometimes common sense isn't common enough. Notwithstanding post covid. If a man is eating a meal with his family or alone whatever HE will initiate contact if it is wanted. Otherwise let the man eat in peace fcol.

I think its a message of common sense. I Get the OP's gist though. It's mostly like he said spread the word and give players their space in private settings.

that's what I think.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2021 at 3:57 PM, sherpa said:

In my career I've carried hundreds of celebs, sports folks, politicos and media.

Brady's wife a couple times to Sao Paulo.

They are all different. Some extremely nice and some unbelievable tools.

The worst are the ones with "assistants."

The assistants are the absolute worst. I got lectured by Ringo Starr's assistant for saying hi and excuse me to the both of them when they decided to stand in the middle of where I was working. No clue who they were until i was told that I do not speak to Mr. Starr and a bunch of other stuff about Mr. Starr. Megadeth did the same thing and was really cool about it. They moved over a bit and talked for a while. 

I've driven a few other well known people in sports, politics or entertainment. I try to treat them like everyone else but I did ask a Bills wr for a picture in my car.

The best was two Flyers front office guys talking about firing either their coach or GM(hakstol or hextall I couldn't tell which) just days after another clubs front office was over heard discussing something in an Uber. A few weeks later the guy was fired.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/22/2021 at 8:42 AM, Captain_Quint said:

I agree with Dawk above. The higher price tag they make now puts them into more of a celebrity status, IMO, and invites more exposure. 

Doesn't mean you have to bother people.  Just cuz you can, doesn't mean you gotta.

3 hours ago, klos63 said:

Doesn't mean you have to bother people.  Just cuz you can, doesn't mean you gotta.

It's in the job description for a entertainment job that is the face of of a sports franchise that pays $5.3 mil for a 17 week regular season.  

People don't gotta, but they can if they feel the need. If it wasn't for those kind of people, he wouldn't be getting paid anywhere near that much money to play a game.  Dealing with fans when he'd rather be spending quality time with his girl is part of it. I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. Even with his girl.

Edited by CodeMonkey

14 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

It's in the job description for a entertainment job that is the face of of a sports franchise that pays $5.3 mil for a 17 week regular season.  

People don't gotta, but they can if they feel the need. If it wasn't for those kind of people, he wouldn't be getting paid anywhere near that much money to play a game.  Dealing with fans when he'd rather be spending quality time with his girl is part of it. I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. Even with his girl.

Says who?

I've seen lots of Bills players at the Tops at 5 corners in Orchard Park. I think most people who shop there are used to seeing Bills players and no one bothers them. 

Maybe if it was Josh or Diggs/Beasley things would be different. But no one is gonna bother players like Star Louteleilei, Dion Dawkins, Ike Botteger or Jerry Hughes or former Bill Ray-Ray McCloud, etc. while they shop at Tops. 

2 minutes ago, BFLO said:

I've seen lots of Bills players at the Tops at 5 corners in Orchard Park. I think most people who shop there are used to seeing Bills players and no one bothers them. 

Maybe if it was Josh or Diggs/Beasley things would be different. But no one is gonna bother players like Star Louteleilei, Dion Dawkins, Ike Botteger or Jerry Hughes or former Bill Ray-Ray McCloud, etc. while they shop at Tops. 

Unless they slip and fall because 

2-EB6859-F-CDBB-4399-B478-9012-D452-D08-

On 10/23/2021 at 10:45 PM, KzooMike said:

Many athletes including Josh endorse products using their brand (themselves). It's not like it's hard to understand why somebody would be bummed over having no privacy, but I feel like it's an occupational hazard, especially once you decide to become a brand like many stars in sports decide to do. If it impacts them enough they can quit and the attention will stop.

(.......)

The bottom-line, in todays day and age this is an occupational hazard for a star athlete. I also imagine most like it at first. They just stop liking it when it becomes constant and the bigger you get the bigger your brand, the more constant it will be. I don't think people will leave Josh alone or be respectful of his privacy.

The problem with privacy for a star athlete is analogous to the problem of a donut plate for a dieter.  As one food researcher pointed out, "if you're focused and working 90-95% of the time, you can be productive and successful.  If you refrain from eating excess calories like donuts 90-95% of the time, you can easily blow your diet."

If 90-95% of the fans who see a star dining at a restaurant for 2 hrs are respectful and leave him alone, he can still have his outing pretty well interrupted.

You raise a great point about how "brand" is a double-edged sword for pro athletes.  They may cultivate it when it brings them endorsements or allows them to do things important to them (like support their HS, or support a charity), but then find it uncomfortable when it "goes too far" like people stopping outside their house half a dozen times a day.

The good news as someone else pointed out, is that Josh has the money to put whatever size of bubble he wants around himself.  He just has to come to terms with 1) his new need to do so 2) the various ways to do so.  He would have had to do that last year, except that the whole Covid restrictions thing probably muted it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/23/2021 at 11:59 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah @Inigo Montoya is full of sh*t on this one...........the 90's Bills could get no peace out in public.

My girlfriends sister lived in OP and was very good friends with the wife of a young Bills starter on the last SB team and I got roped into going out to eat with them all after the Bills beat the Raiders in the divisional round.    I figured at least I was leaving the great eats of my tailgate to go somewhere like Salvatore's where the players could have their own room with family etc..   Nope,  nothing like being outside in -30 windchill for 9 hours and then going to Applebees. :lol:   He was a big public nice guy and local tv regular but he was PISSED about all the people coming up to congratulate him when he was trying to eat.  

Also, Inigo.......if you are trying to start a campaign to get Bills fans to stop slobbering all over Bills players and coaches in public........this ain't the place........it's mostly ex-pats here that aren't liable to even be in town to run into Bills.    Take it to a broader social media platform.

So, personally, I've never approached an NFL player as a fan.  Know a few NFL guys socially.

But realize, these guys are entertainers at the end of the day.  The public pays their huge salaries, through gate receipts and advertising dollars.  If a player is "PISSED" because some dude asks him for a signature or high five, then he is showing his ignorance and short-sightedness regarding who pays the bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

So, personally, I've never approached an NFL player as a fan.  Know a few NFL guys socially.

But realize, these guys are entertainers at the end of the day.  The public pays their huge salaries, through gate receipts and advertising dollars.  If a player is "PISSED" because some dude asks him for a signature or high five, then he is showing his ignorance and short-sightedness regarding who pays the bills.

First of all,  you don't go to Applebees or McDonalds after you just won a playoff game and not expect a bunch of inconsiderate but well intentioned fans to bother you.

But he was gracious to all the fans to their faces at least.   Just poor judgement to eat in such a public place on his part.   

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Figster said:

Yeah, I know that it happens, my question is who says it's part of the job description? It's because people can be really disrespectful and think because someone is well known that they are fair game. They're not.

You really felt you needed to search for instances of fans bugging celebs? HAHAHA

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.