Privacy for Josh Allen and Bills' players

Inigo Montoya

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I remember meeting Bruce Smith/Thurman Thomas/ Bennett and a few other Bills at Jim Kelly's place downtown.  Was at the bar right next to Bruce and hard not to talk to him.  Thomas was having some kind of private party upstairs and plenty of nice woman all over the place,  more woman than men lol!.  Ran into Bennett coming out of the washroom and he was the most talkative of the group.  One of the youngers players got drunk and he was being a good teammate and takin care of him. Kelly's bar now closed was a popular place to run into Bills in their Super bowl years. 

A 90s Buffalo Bill was extremely talkative after leaving the bathroom? I'm shocked 🙄 did he ask if you party? Was this at 355am Super Bowl Sunday?!?!

• Haha (+1) 6

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

If I ever got to talk with Allen I would try to talk about farming. 

Talking to a celebrity about an interest of theirs outside of their "job" is what they really want. One time I won a contest to have breakfast with Geddy Lee of Rush. There were 20 people in the room. Questions came in, all about Rush. He was very pleasant and answered all the questions. Then my ex asked him about his then 7 year old daughter and how it was to be a parent of a young child in your mid 40's. (My ex has a son the same age as Geddy's daughter). He literally shut off everyone and talked to my ex and I about parenting a 7 year old for at least 30 minutes. I then asked him about baseball, and we talked for another solid 20 minutes about the history of the game. Not only could he name off every single World Series winner from the 20's but he also gave the nicknames of each winning team. When it came time for photos at the end of the event, He put his arms around my ex and I for the photo. You could tell he was just so appreciative that we knew his other interests and were willing to trade stories about them. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've seen two interviews now where Josh has stated that the thing he laments the most is the loss of his privacy when he goes out around town.  I know we are a celebrity driven culture, and compounding the issue for Josh is that he seems so down to earth that I think people feel comfortable just walking up to him to say hello and asking for a picture.

It would be nice if we as a fan base could make and effort to give Josh and other Bills players some space and privacy if you do happen to see some of them out in town eating dinner or shopping or at a movie.  I think in the Kelly era, Bills players were able to move around and do things and still have their privacy and that is something that they always appreciated and cited as one of the reasons playing in Buffalo was so enjoyable for them.  It would be nice if we could get back to that place again.

If you do see someone like Josh or Knox or Diggs out, try to give them some space.  Let's try to repay their dedication to our city with some personal space.  When you talk to other Bills fans bring this up and maybe we can make a small difference for the guys who play hard for us every week.  This board reaches all across Bill's Mafia, maybe we can start something here that will contribute to our players enjoying their time in Buffalo more and give them another reason to want to stay here.

that is great to try and attain. But all it takes is one or two fanboys/fangirls/fanfams and the players are invaded. 

Vast majority could and would leave them alone but sadly still many others think they are all their long lost fam they must approach.

I will take that for 30 or 40 mill a year. But I get that it gets old for them too.

You think the many thousands of gifted athletes who never made it to the big show w big money and accompanied privacy invasion would not trade places from their current 9 to 5's ?? I think they would gladly and just learn to deal with it.

25 minutes ago, sherpa said:

In my career I've carried hundreds of celebs, sports folks, politicos and media.

Brady's wife a couple times to Sao Paulo.

They are all different. Some extremely nice and some unbelievable tools.

The worst are the ones with "assistants."

You're called "sherpa" and you "carry" people? 

Up mountains?  In Sao Paulo?

I'm confused.  

41 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're called "sherpa" and you "carry" people? 

Up mountains?  In Sao Paulo?

I'm confused.  

Don't be.

Whispering......(You see, I'm not really a sherpa).

I was an airline captain. I flew to Sao Paulo about ten months/year for seven years.

Brady's wife was on a couple.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I've seen two interviews now where Josh has stated that the thing he laments the most is the loss of his privacy when he goes out around town.  I know we are a celebrity driven culture, and compounding the issue for Josh is that he seems so down to earth that I think people feel comfortable just walking up to him to say hello and asking for a picture.

It would be nice if we as a fan base could make and effort to give Josh and other Bills players some space and privacy if you do happen to see some of them out in town eating dinner or shopping or at a movie.  I think in the Kelly era, Bills players were able to move around and do things and still have their privacy and that is something that they always appreciated and cited as one of the reasons playing in Buffalo was so enjoyable for them.  It would be nice if we could get back to that place again.

If you do see someone like Josh or Knox or Diggs out, try to give them some space.  Let's try to repay their dedication to our city with some personal space.  When you talk to other Bills fans bring this up and maybe we can make a small difference for the guys who play hard for us every week.  This board reaches all across Bill's Mafia, maybe we can start something here that will contribute to our players enjoying their time in Buffalo more and give them another reason to want to stay here.

I love Josh and I didn’t see the interview but if he did lament the loss of privacy as one of the most well-known athletes in the NFL, then I have very little sympathy for him.  

It’s not a Buffalo thing as much as it is a celebrity/athlete thing.  If he thinks the loss of privacy is bad in Buffalo, try one of the larger metropolitan markets where it’s a lot more intense.  

Yes the privacy thing does really suck, along with other aspects of becoming a public figure or celebrity.  But, there’s also a few good things as well - like a $256 million contract.  It’s part of the deal

The comparison to the 1990’s Bills doesn’t really correlate.  It was a time before most people had internet, when there were no smart phones or selfies.  Back then it was autographs, now people want selfies to post on Instagram so that they can get likes and followers.  

Also, my impression is that most people this forum don’t need this reminder.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Was standing at Wegmans staring at the prepared foods section and talking to myself about how much mashed potatoes I should buy.  

Never has a post started with a more intruiging opening line :lol: - gold 

Edited by stevewin
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Can see it now. Josh and his gal out to a nice dinner aat one of the finer Buffalo restaurants. Josh drops down on one knee and goes into his coat pocket and Ol' @BTB pushes between em hands her his cell and says "Congrats guys, hey could you snap a quick photo of Josh and I?"

And there I am, as he kneels down I take my chance, run over to his table, and drop an elbow through it & all the dinner plates.... just to show my Bills Mafia dedication!

I'm sure he'll appreciate my commitment to his big moment.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Jesus Christ, how many times do I have to say it. I was drunk and have no idea how I ended up in Josh's bed. I was as surprised as he was when he got home and woke me up.

Like I told the cops, I was only naked because the covers were so snug.

I told you Josh wouldn't fit with both of us on a regular King, you think he'd spring for the California...:cry:

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

Don't be.

Whispering......(You see, I'm not really a sherpa).

I was an airline captain. I flew to Sao Paulo about ten months/year for seven years.

Brady's wife was on a couple.

Ever try the Jaboticaba?

Yea, leave them be. I mean, I think you are going to be disappointed when you go up to someone eating and the reaction you get. Smile, nod, and move on. If you have a kid under the age of 10 who wants an autograph, they might get a pass to go up and ask for one. As an adult you know that people are people and don’t want to have a meal interrupted. 

12 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I agree with Dawk above. The higher price tag they make now puts them into more of a celebrity status, IMO, and invites more exposure. 

True enough, But, it doesn’t mean they should in effect be harassed by one dufus fan boy after another every time they leave their house, like was said up thread, read the room…, and keep

it classy, 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I love Josh and I didn’t see the interview but if he did lament the loss of privacy as one of the most well-known athletes in the NFL, then I have very little sympathy for him.  

It’s not a Buffalo thing as much as it is a celebrity/athlete thing.  If he thinks the loss of privacy is bad in Buffalo, try one of the larger metropolitan markets where it’s a lot more intense.  

Yes the privacy thing does really suck, along with other aspects of becoming a public figure or celebrity.  But, there’s also a few good things as well - like a $256 million contract.  It’s part of the deal

The comparison to the 1990’s Bills doesn’t really correlate.  It was a time before most people had internet, when there were no smart phones or selfies.  Back then it was autographs, now people want selfies to post on Instagram so that they can get likes and followers.  

Also, my impression is that most people this forum don’t need this reminder.  

That’s such a lame attitude to take.  He earned his status by being great.  He’s not Kim Kardashian who is famous for being famous.  If he complained that valets were joy riding in his car, would that be no big deal because that’s what it’s like having an awesome car?  Leave the guy alone when he’s out and about.  

I met Edmunds at the Tops on McKinley on the Sunday off before the season started.  Store was dead and I walked down an aisle looking for salad dressing.  I really didn't notice him became I just thought he was another customer looking at the same thing.  He had a red Bills T on and I thought "I think he plays for the team." To be fair, I worked 6 days straight and just came from the gym. I really wasn't thinking clearly.  I just wanted to go home, shower,  eat, and sleep.

I asked him "You play?" He said "Yes sir." "What position?" "Linebacker" I must of had a look on my face like I couldn't place him,which I couldn't,  and he said "Edmunds  " Then in my exhausted state, I utter the brainless "That's right, I didn't recognize you without your helmet on." He just looked at me. Waiting for further conversation.  I just said "Don't worry I'm not going to bother you for a pic or anything.  Good luck this season. Go get'em."

He smiled and said "Thank you Sir" and ambled down the aisle.  Class guy. Super polite and very, very big. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, sherpa said:

In my career I've carried hundreds of celebs, sports folks, politicos and media.

Brady's wife a couple times to Sao Paulo.

They are all different. Some extremely nice and some unbelievable tools.

The worst are the ones with "assistants."

So spill the beans - who were the biggest tools :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.